• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
New Dam wall

Guessed at 60,000 m3, only clay that looks like it will seal is a small bit of dark red clay in the old dam bed, using it to build a clay core 1 scraper width - rest is dust and shale, turning to pure shale as we get deeper.

Attachments

• 20140611_101448.jpg
    20140611_101448.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 20140611_111158.jpg
    20140611_111158.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,157

Showpony

Burnie our 222 parts source

Not a pretty sight. We acquired her like this in 2012, not sure what the cause of the fire was, the parking brake is a definite suspect.

Attachments

• 14.11.10 044.jpg
    14.11.10 044.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 14.11.10 045.jpg
    14.11.10 045.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 14.11.10 046.jpg
    14.11.10 046.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 14.11.10 047.jpg
    14.11.10 047.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • CIMG0300.JPG
    CIMG0300.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,071

Brainzie

Few more pics

Attachments

• Photo0245.jpg
    Photo0245.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 915
  • Photo0216.jpg
    Photo0216.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 912
  • Photo0217.jpg
    Photo0217.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 916
  • Photo0218.jpg
    Photo0218.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 911
  • Photo0244.jpg
    Photo0244.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 906

Grimlock4377

Hi
Just joined the forum as I was just looking up wabco scrapers and read all 59 pages in one night...
My brothers and I have a 101G that we use sparingly on the farm but we just cranked her up last month to sink a dam here in se qld..

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Hi all,
3 x 252s working on 250,000m3 cut fill. Dumpers removing peat in alignment.
Current job on kapiti expressway.
See you tube taken by locals. hope it works. cheers
http://youtu.be/NISFMIvA0pk
Stan those Wabcos are an absolute credit to you. The first time I saw any of Goodmans gear was at Waikawa beech when you did the earthworks for the second stage of the subdivision. If I remember correctly you had TS14s and a HD 11 or16 on site. I was operating Colliers AC 545 in the time.

Last edited:

stangoodman

Stan those Wabcos are an absolute credit to you. The first time I saw any of Goodmans gear was at Waikawa beech when you did the earthworks for the second stage of the subdivision. If I remember correctly you had TS14s and a HD 11 or16 on site. I was operating Colliers AC 545 in the time.

Thanks Tones. I think it was the HD16B and a 222F. It was a real neat job tucked in the sand hills.
We had a 605 and 645 at one stage. Great loaders.
Yep we put the time back into the scrapers cause they are still the best at cut to fill.
Cheers

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
I remember when i first started work at mine in southwest western australia,they had 3 open bowl wabco,s about 631 size,ex RAAF i was told.Had electric steering,winches for the bowl etc.One day the apprentice auto elect,apparently didnt do one of the battery terminals up tight eneough,and it came off as the scraper was going across a tailings dam wall.Lucky it swung to the inside and drove the nose into some very soft sand,which is alot better than the other way which was over 100 feet down.They banned them from dam walls after that and bought some 633c,s.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I remember when i first started work at mine in southwest western australia,they had 3 open bowl wabco,s about 631 size,ex RAAF i was told.Had electric steering,winches for the bowl etc.One day the apprentice auto elect,apparently didnt do one of the battery terminals up tight eneough,and it came off as the scraper was going across a tailings dam wall.Lucky it swung to the inside and drove the nose into some very soft sand,which is alot better than the other way which was over 100 feet down.They banned them from dam walls after that and bought some 633c,s.
Ouch. That probably blew out the rectifiers too. In the old electric steer machines, it seemed like one simple issue such as the loose battery cable could create a chain reaction train wreck. Proper PM was crucial with those machines.

Shields1

I have a lot of spare parts for the 111A's here in North Carolina. Electrical, gearboxes, many others. Let me know if you need these.

Thanks Michael

coolwhip

Wabco 101G: No Reverse. You can feel it shift but does move back. It will move forward in all gears. A farmer I help bought one and so I have the job to get it going. I am thinking that one or both of the solenoids located on the valve body of the transmission near the linkage are not working properly. Any ideas or suggestions to figure out the issue would be helpful.

Brainzie

hey scrub.

they`re metaling farm tracks, they are loading towards where the last loads were spread on the track. some of the tracks are that steep they were being pushed up hills loaded. Joys of having tracks made with a digger instead of a bulldozer :beatsme. That small farm quarry wass about half way along the track. Not very hard as far as rock goes but hard enough to need to be ripped.

Last edited:

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Wabco 101G: No Reverse. You can feel it shift but does move back. It will move forward in all gears. A farmer I help bought one and so I have the job to get it going. I am thinking that one or both of the solenoids located on the valve body of the transmission near the linkage are not working properly. Any ideas or suggestions to figure out the issue would be helpful.

Hi coolwhip.

I still run two of the Wabco 101G's. They come with cable control, not solenoid originally, and I have never had an issue with them if the spools are clicked properly onto position. They can get out of adjustment, and twice now I have lost reverse, but only if the cable was connected. Take off the cable, and operate manually, and it should work. One spool is R N 1 2 3 4, the other is lockup in the selected gear. On the original cable lever gear controls, gates prevented operation of lockup unless the transmission was in 2 3 or 4, if you could put it in lockup 1st or R, it would stall out the engine instantly. How does the solenoid control work? Maybe there is no lockup.

Also if the RHS steering hose is replaced with a too-large bend radius, you can clip the trans spool on a tight turn over a bank, and bend the spool end in 1st or 2nd gear, then the spool cannot go into R. It should be weeping oil at the seal if it is bent though. I know of a bent spool in Queensland, and I bent one myself a year or two ago, after I heard about the other one.

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers,

Steve

for some pics, www.footstoolearthmoving.com.au

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Welcome Grimlock, there is some great info here.

When I can work out a system that works efficiently, I hope to post links to all my scanned service and parts manuals, not many I don't have, invaluable info if you pick up an old one of these great machines. My 101G's still are a perfect fit on many jobs. I can usually thrash any excavator-truck team on construction sites, and no-one seems to run the later Cat 613 scrapers, just dumpy's and excavators.

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
I have a lot of spare parts for the 111A's here in North Carolina. Electrical, gearboxes, many others. Let me know if you need these.

Thanks Michael

Hi Shields1 (Michael), got any electrical spares for Wabco 353FT's??

Cheers,

Steve

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Stan, as always, great to see the mighty 252's in action, I could watch them all day. My daughter has just moved to Auckland from Dubai, her husband works for Fonterra, I'll look you up when we go to visit her :)

-Steve

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
....and finally, sorry for the chain posting, new pc meant I lost all my email notifications of posts here, does anyone know of a good (or even bad...) 222H for sale? I have a gap in my capability, and since all the 252's here now belong to Stan, 222H is about all that is left. 222G's have a better reputation here, but ROPS rules here mean only a 222H can be got up to spec in Australia. And I have come to love electric elevators..:)

- Steve

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
Just getting around to catching up on reading posts saw Post#888 about the electric steering malfunction. I had a main cable fry on D111A going across a dike on a farm pond about 20 foot high and the nose would swing one way when I'd stomp the brakes, I would start heading over the edge, I'd jam it in reverse then the thing would swing the other way. By the time the dust settled I was still on the dike but sitting about 4 inches higher and you should know why and what I was sitting on. Ahh memories, it's nice to be around to have them...........Clyde