• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
Hi Wabco owners
I'm pretty sure I spotted a few today, will stop on Friday on the return trip and ask the owner if he is willing to sell spare parts and get his contact details

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Thanks guys. It was great to meet Ray C for a day, hope home is suiting you Ray!
I like your idea Rob Z, I will give the key way idea a go, it is much easier than spline rebuilding, esp internals.

So how is the rotor/hub project coming along? I haven't seen any updates and hope youre doing well getting back to the dirt.
Regards, Rob.

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
Scraper Teeth

Finally a video of my scraper as promised !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2MpqK1FZu4
Cheers Leroy
Leroy,

Was wondering what you do about new teeth for the Wabco. What we did 40+ years ago is my dad went around to the local cat dealers and would buy the broken leaf springs that came from under D8 or D9 dozers. Then we would use a new tooth for the pattern as for as the length, then set the worn tooth on top of the spring steel and cut a cup out of it so the tooth just fit in it. Then we would weld that to the tooth making sure we could put the tooth on either way so as not to wear the top off. They would last 6 to 1 over the new ones especially in hard pan/flint. After we couldn't get the spring steel we started to use old cutting edges. The wider the tooth the more it would pickup with less HP and less fuel and faster cycle time and by the yard that made a big difference. On the 222 we removes the teeth and adapters and found a cutting edge special made that was 29-7/8" X 29-7/8" and put it in the middle two and then did we haul dirt!!!! Could not let the rpm fall below 1,900 or the conveyer would stall out. Then we would always run the left wheel right next to where the right wheel was on the last pass. That left a ridge about 3 inches tall, so when you came back the next time you had a 6" rib because you cut an other 3' without getting the router bits in the ground. Never replaced router bits after that. Of course my dad never through any thing away, so when the edges got worn down we weld a piece of old dozer cutting edge to it and go again. Never had any break. Used 3/16 7018 and an old Lincoln TM 300 AC welder. Yep that's right AC. Didn't know how good a DC worked until I got a job at the Cat dealer. Oh by the way this won't work on Cat scrapers FROG NOT STOUT ENOUGH.

Also we used to use the hydraulics to raise the front of the scraper up and turn it 90 degrees and then close the bowl and raise the bowl and make a go at it again. Been stuck like that many a time. Also had my share of sliding down the slope side ways because I got too close to the edge. But how can you avoide that when you try to pile top soil straight up so as not to waste any.

Good Day, Maurice

Reactions: DB2

JDOFMEMI

Gidday Guys,

Ive added a video of 333Ft working in sand at new job we are starting. I will add more soon. Just been a bit busy.

Cheers

http://youtu.be/sMCtr5DdGno

That girl can EAT! I have never been around one, but from what I see there, it will make a 633 Cat look stupid slow. Whren I was running scrapers, a 633 would stall the paddles with less than half of that much material in front of them.

Great job keeping those older machines running, and thanks for sharing with us.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . JDOFMEMI

That girl can EAT!

Amazing aren't they? In one of my early posts I mentioned taking a fast twelve inch cut in coffee rock/indurated sand with a tripple three . . . there has never been a machine built that could stay with them while they're running.

I really hope stangoodman does well with her and can work out all the foibles.

Cheers.

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
At one of our service meeting when I worked for a Cat dealer it was announced that Cat was putting a rear engine on the rear of there 633 in order to stay in the market with Wabco!! Some years later there was posted and article from a Peoria news paper about RG's death that. Now the construction manufacture's of heavy equipment could breath a sigh of relief from trying to keep up with the innovations that he kept inventing. ( Second to Thomas Edison in number of patents!!) "Job's Not Too Big the Equipment Is Too Small"
That girl can EAT! I have never been around one, but from what I see there, it will make a 633 Cat look stupid slow. Whren I was running scrapers, a 633 would stall the paddles with less than half of that much material in front of them.

Great job keeping those older machines running, and thanks for sharing with us.

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
WABCO enthusiasts; Well perhaps it's time we should start to talk about the Wabco get together. Questions to get comments on are; What month in 2014. And in NZ or AUS

I vote, Some where in New Zealand and April,ish 2014 Please feel free to add your thoughts and comments
Cheers Leroy

Wish I could join in. Was in Christchurch in 1998 when I went with my wife, sister, and mother to help my sister's daughter pack up at the end of the school your at Lincoln University. We spent a week doing the tourist thing and would like to go back and look up some Wabco enthusiasts now that I found this forum.

Maurice

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Extended Cutting Edge

I think I finally got this inserting picture stuff figured out. This is the way we use to set our C-Pull cutting edges. This Stinger were modified with D8 end bits. Talk about a dirt hog!!!!

Attachments

• P1221860.JPG
    P1221860.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 961
  • P8080086.jpg
    P8080086.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 957

Brainzie

a few pics, slowly coming back together.

Attachments

• Photo0072.jpg
    Photo0072.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 815
  • Photo0073.jpg
    Photo0073.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 809
  • Photo0074.jpg
    Photo0074.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 806
  • Photo0075.jpg
    Photo0075.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 806
  • Photo0076.jpg
    Photo0076.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 812

Brainzie

few more

Attachments

• Photo0077.jpg
    Photo0077.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 800
  • Photo0078.jpg
    Photo0078.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 813
  • Photo0079.jpg
    Photo0079.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 820
  • Photo0080.jpg
    Photo0080.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 813

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Very good looking!!!! by the way what is the serial number of that good lucking girl?
I don't know if you checked the brushes in the alternator but they liked to corrode and cause weak amperage and voltage. Here in the US they were made out of aluminum and would make it difficult for the carbon brushes to make good contact.

The serial number of the ours is GP-62165-DPA2C

have a good day
Maurice

Brainzie

Very good looking!!!! by the way what is the serial number of that good lucking girl?
I don't know if you checked the brushes in the alternator but they liked to corrode and cause weak amperage and voltage. Here in the US they were made out of aluminum and would make it difficult for the carbon brushes to make good contact.

The serial number of the ours is GP-62165-DPA2C

have a good day
Maurice

that one is GP-65435-DPA2-AE

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
Good luck with putting her back together Brainzie! I remember only too well the trouble I had with my C'Pull V Power.
Cheers
Gordon

Brainzie

Thanks Gord. It came out not to bad, with the help of some previous wabco owners over here. Thanks Nick, Ken was very helpful.

Attachments

• Photo0107.jpg
    Photo0107.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,347
  • Photo0110.jpg
    Photo0110.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,237