• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vintage Macks

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
The trucks in Post #98 look to be A Models, predecessors of the L Models. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

bushman1

The tie up was actually a protest by truckers at clam beach/little river when weight limits were started to be enforced. Trucker from mckinleyville dad was in it.

Redwood Climber

The tie up was actually a protest by truckers at clam beach/little river when weight limits were started to be enforced. Trucker from mckinleyville dad was in it.

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Bushman1, there was not much info with the pic, I shouldn't guess. Do you have any pictures of your Dad in his day? Also, do you remember or know the date?

Last edited:

hayeslogtruck

Here's a couple more Macks, I believe you can see the famous Mack Bulldog on the hood. These look to be a later model, perhaps a truck GURU can help here again. These look more like highway trucks.

Nice 3 & 4 log loads, used to see these every day, common as houseflies....now a load like this is set aside for the truck parade.

I'm not sure about the deal with the overhead lines....View attachment 103118

No date given, this is a Palmquist / Yale photo

these 2 trucks are White's not Mack's also the Mack LM's differance was the grill shell LMSW-L logger had a cast rad tank were as LM-M mining had a sheet metal rad surround this is easiest way to tell differance .

Redwood Climber

Well now don't I feel like a dipstick....Thank you Mr. Hayeslogtruck, if it weren't for knowledgeable people like you I'd have things all goofed up. I wish I could move this post, but it's too late. I guess I'm going to need to learn more about old trucks and learn what a Mack Bulldog looks like hehe....I spent some time driving a few Macks, but they were 70's vintage. Also I was looking at the other end of the Bulldog. Thank you for your help Sir.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Redwood, no need to be embarrassed!! I sure appreciate your pics here, and a day gone by without learning something is a day wasted. I'm curious how that Mack in post 96 got laid over, it looks like a pretty straight run of road.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I'm curious how that Mack in post 96 got laid over, it looks like a pretty straight run of road.[/QUOTE]

Speaking from bad experience...... It kind of looks like the trailer caught the ditch and in trying to pop it out, driver flopped it over. I had an interesting conversation with a truck boss (uncle) regarding something ahem; QUITE similar. Pure carelessness on my part, I was young, knew everything and did not need to listen to others etc.

Truck was a '49 Mack, 12 foot bunks and 6 foot stakes. They brought a shovel down, kicked the load loose, flopped the truck upright, checked the coolant, and oil reloaded most of it and sent me down the road to the dump with it. They did not fix the broken windows (missing) for a month or so. They did fix the mirror. Having winter slop in through the open windshield sure helped keep me alert though. That was one tough Mack, later I drove a Mack DM800 which could not hold a candle to that old pig.

Last edited:

Redwood Climber

Wrappers & Cheeseblocks

Posts #s 97 and 98 have what looks to be wrappers on the loads. I have never seen wrappers on any load before where cheese blocks were used. I have only seen wrappers with stakes. Something new to me.

I'm not sure that I understand your post Sir.......but I will say that on ANY load of old growth Redwood, especially when the sap is running in the spring, you want to have wrappers........no, you HAVE to have wrappers. At least two per peaker. When the sap is running, the bark slips off very easily, that is the main reason you see so many peeled logs. To load Redwood with the bark intact when the sap is running is inviting disaster. While the wrappers may hold the bark, the log can slip right out of the bark.
While helping to fall timber, I have witnessed numerous times when the tree hit the ground it would slide out of the bark.....like 80 to 100' of log slick as a whistle. Even with cork boots on, walking on a freshly peeled Redwood is tricky business.

So every load that left the truck slip whether it was a stake or cheeseblock truck, always had at least one wrapper per peaker. He may pull out of the slip to allow another truck in, then tie the rest down. My apologies if I misunderstood your post.

Here is an example of what can happen if a load slips ahead. I don't know the story of this Mack, but it looks as if that may have been what happened.

Photo from Boyle collection, Dated pre-1956.1999031638.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood Climber

Enging ID in That Mack....

That's Engine....Can any of you truck genius' ID that engine? Is that the same model as the rest of the Macks? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I'm not sure that I understand your post Sir....... snip-snip

So every load that left the truck slip whether it was a stake or cheeseblock truck, always had at least one wrapper per peaker. He may pull out of the slip to allow another truck in, then tie the rest down. My apologies if I misunderstood your post.

This is why I like this forum, My experience is only with fir, hemlock and yellow pine. I did not know how slick redwood could be. I went back through all my Kinsey books and wrapper on trucks and trains were almost nonexistant (fir and a bit of hemlock). Perhaps that is the cause of my ignorance, Thanks for the information.

I never hauled with cheese blocks, they were illegal when I became a steering wheel holder. I did haul with some 3' stakes, which shortly became 6' stakes. with the help of scrap RR track and welding rod. Oh, what a person could get away with in the mid '60s (off highway.)

Redwood Climber

Is There a Way to Move Posts?

Redwood, no need to be embarrassed!! I sure appreciate your pics here, and a day gone by without learning something is a day wasted. I'm curious how that Mack in post 96 got laid over, it looks like a pretty straight run of road.

Thank you Sir, not really embarassed, just making light of a goof up. God knows I do enough of those....so is there a way to move posts? I don't see a thread for White, International, Dodge, GMC, Ford, Marmon, etc. log trucks. I know there are pics out there.

As to post 96, the pic gave no details, but as Mr. Jumbo says, he may have caught the ditch. Also, it is common for these logs to shift if they are not settled down into a "saddle". If a large log were to shift just a foot or two, it can shift the center of gravity a bunch. Off highway loads are typically tall loads, so the CG is pretty high.

Also, that may be a bit more of a hill than it looks.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Antique Truck Show - Duncan

Some Macks from the show today.

Attachments

• Truck Show 2013 007.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 007.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 699
  • Truck Show 2013 011.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 011.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 701
  • Truck Show 2013 012.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 012.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 689

sh0rtlife

got pics from the rest of the show?.....really wishing ida been up that way to goto that..do they do it every year?

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Don't Know Where To Put These....

Seeing as you wanted to see some more pics....

Attachments

• Truck Show 2013 006.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 006.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 666
  • Truck Show 2013 015.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 015.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 675
  • Truck Show 2013 014.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 014.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 676
  • Truck Show 2013 013.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 013.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 674

sh0rtlife

still tons of great stuff in the backgrounds of all those shots..great to see em

whats riding piggyback in red primer on the back of that trashy?

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
still tons of great stuff in the backgrounds of all those shots..great to see em

whats riding piggyback in red primer on the back of that trashy?

That is a chain drive Hayes that is being restored up in Port Alberni.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Macks From Today's Visit.

Two more Macks.

Attachments

• Truck Show 2013 001.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 001.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 623
  • Truck Show 2013 007.JPG
    Truck Show 2013 007.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 618

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
please tell me youve got pics of the chain drive...course im betting youve got pics from the whole show

Hate to disappoint you but I didn't. When you are wearing a motorbike riding suit on a hot summer day, you tend to make haste when off the bike. I did hear the comment from someone that they couldn't see the 'mechanism' but that might mean that only the chains were missing. What you are seeing here is all that I have. I only posted it in one big bunch because I'm heading off to my job tomorrow (Vancouver) and I wanted to get my pics out there before I left. Enjoy.