• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vintage Macks

madilljt

Occupation
logger/faller
Hey HDX did those trucks have the exhaust though the hood with no mufflers when ERT had them. I lived not to far from the main line in Campbell River as a kid and we could hear the trucks coming from miles away .Used to go down to the mainline an watch them going buy loaded was pretty cool when you were 10 years old. The mainline was paved and they were letting it all hang out loaded.

We used to ride our bikes down to the ERT crossing at evergreen and wait for the trucks to come through. It used to make our day when the drivers would blow their horns for us!

dmills1419

Occupation
Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
HDX, I need to know the wheelbase of ERT #7. I think I'll make the model with the 35 ton trailer like you have also, the 50 ton would be too heavy for 12' bunks. I noticed that Fruit Growers Supply in California had LMSWL's with 14' bunks too, but they hauled sugar pine , probably a little lighter than the wood you haul up in BC. They used to really pile it on, loads looked like what you haul on H-17. Also, as you stated, those wide bunks make the truck look small.
I think you told me that your truck, ERT #7, was one serial number away from one here in New England owned by Forte Bros. Construction. All their trucks have disappeared, along with Tony Forte, word is he moved to Florida and the family sold off the restored trucks. They had some real nice restorations, all vintage Macks.

HDX

dmills1419 ERT's wheel base is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of trunion shaft is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of first drive axle is 173 inches From center of first drive axle to trunion shaft is 27 inches The rear diffs are 55 inches from center of front drive axle to center of rear drive axle. Are these what you had in mind Don??? We gotta get Hayesno1 to repost the picture he posted of the drawing of the Seattle bunk and bolster that showed the Seattle Stakes. Seems to me that one of the model railroad supply companies made an HO scale version of the Seattle bunks. I will try and get a picture of one of the model trucks I built while fooling around and I used these HO bunks.Let me know what else you need as you come to it OK

dmills1419

Occupation
HDX, Thanks for the reply, that's the info I needed. Looks like your truck was a stock factory setting for wheelbase. How much does the chassis extend past the rear set of wheels? What do you have for fuel tanks, (2) 50 gallon?
I think the bunks you mentioned are by Kadee in HO scale. They make a few different style log car kits that use those bunks & stakes, 12' would have been perfect for a railroad car. I think I have a set of them in my junk box, can use them as a guide to make the ones for #7.
I've been inquiring about the model of #H-17 that I told you about, can't seem to get answers from anyone. I'll keep checking and let you know what I find out.

HDX

dmills1419 From the center of the rear drive axle to the rear of the frame is 66 inches. The Hayes sub-frame on her is 12 inches shorter than the rear of the truck frame. So the compensator box is pretty well exposed back there. I dont know if you are going to install the compensator bar or not but it is 38 inches long X 5 1/2 tube with the Premier hitch welded/bolted to the end The fuel tanks are also Mack 50 Gal and the second one is a little shorter (same diameter) so I would estimate it was about 30-35 Gal's. Also when the trailer is loaded on the back of the truck the rear axle of the trailer (center of the trailer axle to rear of truck frame) is 44 inches. Let me know if this works or is too confusing!!!!

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
dmills1419 ERT's wheel base is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of trunion shaft is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of first drive axle is 173 inches From center of first drive axle to trunion shaft is 27 inches The rear diffs are 55 inches from center of front drive axle to center of rear drive axle. Are these what you had in mind Don??? We gotta get Hayesno1 to repost the picture he posted of the drawing of the Seattle bunk and bolster that showed the Seattle Stakes. Seems to me that one of the model railroad supply companies made an HO scale version of the Seattle bunks. I will try and get a picture of one of the model trucks I built while fooling around and I used these HO bunks.Let me know what else you need as you come to it OK
Hi dmills1419 and HDX, I will post those pics again - I'll just have to find them again..

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More pics of ERT #7. 1st pic shows Re-Pete(Dane just like me) standing beside this old outstanding truck- Last pic shows "HDX" driving her at 90th Hayes aniversary show. I will never forget that sound and smell.. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0709s.jpg
    IMG_0709s.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_0710s.jpg
    IMG_0710s.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_0711s.jpg
    IMG_0711s.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_0712s.jpg
    IMG_0712s.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_0713s.jpg
    IMG_0713s.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 831

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
HDX;dmills1419 ERT's wheel base is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of trunion shaft is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of first drive axle is 173 inches From center of first drive axle to trunion shaft is 27 inches The rear diffs are 55 inches from center of front drive axle to center of rear drive axle. Are these what you had in mind Don??? We gotta get Hayesno1 to repost the picture he posted of the drawing of the Seattle bunk and bolster that showed the Seattle Stakes. Seems to me that one of the model railroad supply companies made an HO scale version of the Seattle bunks. I will try and get a picture of one of the model trucks I built while fooling around and I used these HO bunks.Let me know what else you need as you come to it OK
Well here pics of Seattle bunks.
HDX; re my model of #H17 I gave to you at the show I think/hope I made the right bumper.. LOL.. and not the odd one she is having at present time

Attachments

• Seattle bunks_s1.jpg
    Seattle bunks_s1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 764
  • Seattle bunks_s2.jpg
    Seattle bunks_s2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 760
  • Seattle bunks_s3.jpg
    Seattle bunks_s3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 763

dmills1419

Occupation
HDX & Hayesno1 Thanks for all the help on this project. The pictures of the bunks are a great help, They are exactly what I thought they were but wanted to be sure. Kadee Metal Products produces them in HO train size for their log cars, probably what HDX used on the HO trucks he did. I am proceeding slow but steady on the project, but a long ways to the finish line yet. The mount for them looks pretty simple too, should not be a problem. The tires I'm producing fot the model look exactly like the ones in the photo on the drive axles.

Redwood Climber

Truck ID

In need of a truck GURU here, I'm not sure if this is a Mack. If they off set the cab anymore, it won't be on the truck! It is out of Big Lagoon, Ca. Picture is from the William Boyle collection. No date given. Sure is a cool looking truck.

So help me with the wooden reach vs. steel reach w/ compensator. I don't see a compensator on the wooden reach trailers, does the reach just slide in the tunnel of the trailer?1999030215.jpg

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
In need of a truck GURU here, I'm not sure if this is a Mack. If they off set the cab anymore, it won't be on the truck! It is out of Big Lagoon, Ca. Picture is from the William Boyle collection. No date given. Sure is a cool looking truck.

So help me with the wooden reach vs. steel reach w/ compensator. I don't see a compensator on the wooden reach trailers, does the reach just slide in the tunnel of the trailer?View attachment 103103

Well as for the Mack, it is a LMSW-L, The L's were built before the B's. Mack continued with the off set cab after the B, with the DM & U for highway & offy's. The larger Offy's with off set cabs were the LRSW, LRVSW, the M series & the CL-350 logger.

Rick

525isx

Occupation
log trucker

So help me with the wooden reach vs. steel reach w/ compensator. I don't see a compensator on the wooden reach trailers, does the reach just slide in the tunnel of the trailer?View attachment 103103

yup, the reach just slid in the trailer, even early steel reaches slid, then someone figured out they could use that hollow tube for a compensator.

isx

Redwood Climber

Thank you Gentlemen!

I knew someone on here would know what kind of trucks they were. I thank you for your vast knowledge. I was just guessing, the fenders made me think Mack. Any guess of the year?

GP had a huge fire that burned many of the railroad trestles in 1945. Instead of rebuilding they converted the railroads over to mainline truck roads.... I imagine they got their first off highway trucks in '45 or '46.
Would these be chain drive or did they have diff's? One of the Boyle photos is of a truck on its side, and plain as day it has diff's. I don't know if that was a later model or what. I'll dig it up and post it, you fella's will know if it is the same model or not.
What would you guess for power?

I knew from the size of the truck and size of the load that they were nowhere near the size of your Canadian monster trucks. The bunks look to be maybe 10' wide?

Redwood Climber

Big Mack Attack

1999031650 (1).jpgHere's the big Mack taking a rest. You can clearly see the rear diff's, they have the look of Mack rears. The Boyle photo description doesn't say why she laid over, it does say pre-1956, truck 109.
Two more off highway trucks are up the hill there, they look Mackish also. Nice logs....

Last edited:

Redwood Climber

More Macks

Here are a couple more Macks at the Crannell reload. They would unload the off highway trucks and reload the logs onto rail cars for the 15 or so mile trip right next to the ocean out to the mill at Samoa. All of these trucks look to have cheeseblocks instead of stakes.

One correction I need to make, I forgot to mention that Hammond lumber Company was the original timber company, then somewhere in the 50's or early 60's (I'm guessing here), Georgia Pacific bought out Hammond, they the Feds split GP....said they had a monopoly on softwoods in the US....and WALA!! Louisiana Pacific was born, not sure of the year....60's?

This photo was also a Boyle photo, but this is by William's wife Katie.....who also doubled as my fourth grade teacher.

The second photo was also at the Crannell reload. Year is stated as pre-1956. 1999030217.jpg1999031646 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Redwood Climber

More Macks....3 & 4 Log Loads

Here's a couple more Macks, I believe you can see the famous Mack Bulldog on the hood. These look to be a later model, perhaps a truck GURU can help here again. These look more like highway trucks.

Nice 3 & 4 log loads, used to see these every day, common as houseflies....now a load like this is set aside for the truck parade.

I'm not sure about the deal with the overhead lines....2012.02.0221.jpg

No date given, this is a Palmquist / Yale photo

Last edited:

Redwood Climber

150 Truck Tie Up

This photo shows trucks waiting to get scaled and dumped at the mill along Highway 101. We have most makes of log trucks here...at the far left looks like a GMC, then a Ford, next it looks like two of Wayne Bare's Kenworths, one is hidden behind the sign. Next we have a Mack I believe to the right of the sign......after that mine eyes cannot tell. Feel free to correct any mistakes on my I'd ing. Cool picture. Nice logs!

Palmquist / Yale photo...no date given....late 50's early 60's probably.2012.02.0023.jpg

Last edited:

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Posts #s 97 and 98 have what looks to be wrappers on the loads. I have never seen wrappers on any load before where cheese blocks were used. I have only seen wrappers with stakes. Something new to me.