• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vintage Macks

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Old Mack LTL retired somewhere on The Olympic Pininsula, WN back in the early 80's. The B-model logging truck was captured through the backwindow of a Lincoln I drove. He was tailgating me for quite a few miles on the Peninsula.. LOL.. This was in 1984!

Attachments

• Scan38.jpg
    Scan38.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Scan39.jpg
    Scan39.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,731
  • Scan40.jpg
    Scan40.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,685
  • Scan41.jpg
    Scan41.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,684

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Mack B73 model water truck. Pics were shot in a dryland sort somewhere on Olympic Peninsula, WN in 1982.

Attachments

• Scan42.jpg
    Scan42.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,714
  • Scan43.jpg
    Scan43.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,775

580bruce

Tha b-water truck was working up at Snoqualami(sp) Ridge in the early 90s! Had a big Hall Scott gasses in it.Gas was way cheeper then! Cool pic thankyou!

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Tha b-water truck was working up at Snoqualami(sp) Ridge in the early 90s! Had a big Hall Scott gasses in it.Gas was way cheeper then! Cool pic thankyou!

WOW, a B-74 with a Hall-Scott, probably a 440, same basic engine as the one used in the WW2 M-26 tank transporter. 1050 cubic inch. Those were also popular in the LTSW chassis, long hood, set forward front axle. Was Butane power ever used on the west coast? we had some here in the east, but for the most part is was either gas or Diesel.

Ap40

580bruce

I never looked under the hood.The owner was driving it and we filled up under the same water tank.He told me he payed 5 grand for it,and was making money every day!I dont know if he was working for weyco,or rci the contractor.It was great to see and old dog still earning its keep everyday! I would sure love to have one!

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager

580bruce; thanks for great information. As I recall the truck was green when I shot pics of her. Gas engine?
ap40rocktruck; on hood it says "B73" and as you know odd numbers indicates a diesel engine and even numbers indicates a gas engine. So this is a mystery???
Here is B-80 series model for sale in Washington summer 1980.

Attachments

• Mack-B81-Lo-1980s.jpg
    Mack-B81-Lo-1980s.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,539

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Hayesno1, correct, B-73 would be a diesel, possible for the hood to have been changed at some point, or simply open the hood to verify gas or diesel. with a Mack gas engine, the engine shares many of the major components with the diesel, block, heads, water pump, oil pan and so on. simple changes were done to make both fuels work in common parts. Just keep in mind that one can not become the other, with out a complete re-manufacture.

Ap40

dmills1419

Occupation
Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
Like To See More Vintage Macks........

Mack B73 model water truck. Pics were shot in a dryland sort somewhere on Olympic Peninsula, WN in 1982.

Hayesno1: That B-73 was at Port Angeles at Georgia-Pacific's dry sort. There was an F-700 there as well.
I got pix of them in late 1990's still there then. I'll post some pix when I figure out how to use the photo sizer.

I sure would like to see more photos of vintage Macks here, from what I've heard there were quite a few Macks used in British Columbia after WWll. Anything on FK's or FCSW chain drive rigs? I'd like to see photos of LMSWL's when they were still "in service" as well. My next 1/87th kit will be a Mack LMSWL or M, maybe even both rigs. I also plan to produce a built-up in 1/48th scale.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Hayesno1: That B-73 was at Port Angeles at Georgia-Pacific's dry sort. There was an F-700 there as well.
I got pix of them in late 1990's still there then. I'll post some pix when I figure out how to use the photo sizer.

I sure would like to see more photos of vintage Macks here, from what I've heard there were quite a few Macks used in British Columbia after WWll. Anything on FK's or FCSW chain drive rigs? I'd like to see photos of LMSWL's when they were still "in service" as well. My next 1/87th kit will be a Mack LMSWL or M, maybe even both rigs. I also plan to produce a built-up in 1/48th scale.

dmills1419; I can't remember exactly where I took those pics but you are properly rigth. There was no F700 when I was there.

Looking forward to see a kit of LMSWL, I have made a model of that in scale 1/87. For resizing pictures I use IrfanView. You can get it free.

It seems to me that many have issues posting pics. Here are a few hints/help!
You choose "Advance" and then choose "Attachment" (see pic1). Then "Add files"(pic2) and then "Select files"(pic 3). Then you browse your computers folders and find and select pictures you want to post. Then upload pictures. You can only post up to 5 pictures each time. Hit "Preview Post" button to see pics and text that will be posted, before you submit your post, as you still can edit text or delete a picture before posting. Good luck!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 15 09.46.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 15 09.46.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,240
  • ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 15 09.47.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 15 09.47.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,269
  • ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 15 09.48.jpg
    ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 15 09.48.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,266

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Pics of "HDX" and his Mack LMSWL ERT unit #7 at The Hayes Show in 2012. Very nice truck and great sound!

Attachments

• IMG_0682s.jpg
    IMG_0682s.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,278
  • IMG_0683s.jpg
    IMG_0683s.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • IMG_0684s.jpg
    IMG_0684s.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_0685s.jpg
    IMG_0685s.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,447
  • IMG_0687s.jpg
    IMG_0687s.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,276

dmills1419

Occupation
HDX's LMSWL Mack Logger

I need some specific information on HDX's LMSWL Mack. I hoping Steve or someone else knowledgeable of the truck can help me out. I have Mack factory drawings, and a lot of pattern work already completed to produce a 1/48th scale model of the truck, but need some info that Mack can't provide. I want to know what engine & transmission setup is in the truck, plus details on the logging gear that looks to be Canadian made. If anyone has drawings or manufacturer's data sheets on the logging gear it would be a big help. I'm over 3000 miles away here in Boston, MA so this info is hard to get around here. I want to produce a detailed model using the same methods I've used on past projects, and all cast metal chassis & running gear & logging gear, with only the cab, hood & fenders plus water tank in resin. I'm doing both versions of the truck, the LMSWL and the LMSWM with "soft" nose.
Don Mills

HDX

dmills1419 Sorry It took so long to get back with some info you wanted Been too busy doin stuff!!!! ERT is a 1952 LMSWL She came new to ELK RIVER TIMBER along with 5 sisters. She was delivered with a 50 Ton Hayes Logging Trailer and 14 foot wide bunks. The bunks were Seattle Bunks (rivited) and Seattle stakes. When you saw them sitting there they looked overloaded just with the trailer on their back. Water tank and truck sub-frame was made by Columbia in Vancouver. She came with a Cummins NHBS 600 275 HP 5 1/8 X6 743 CI displacement Trans was and still is a Mack TR 130 5speed main and now has a 8341 C aux 65,000lb Mack Rears with 12:00X24 Dayton wheels The water tank on her right now is off a 1956 HD Hayes and it fits pretty good so I went with it and it has a HD Hayes sub-frame now as opposed to the Columbia original stuff Somewhere on this site Hayesno1 posted a drawing of what the Seattle rigging looked like and of coarse I cant find it. Today she has 11 foot bunks because I just couldnt find the proper 12 foot ones that she should have had but what the heck, These work and they look OK I DO have a 50 Ton Hayes trailer but there is no way I would even thionk of putting that thing on her. The trailer on her in the above pics is a 36 Ton Hayes trailer and it reflects the era very well The LMs used both Columbia and Hayes trailers for the most part. If you need more just ask Don and we will see how we can help you OK As I say SORRY it took so long

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Hey HDX did those trucks have the exhaust though the hood with no mufflers when ERT had them. I lived not to far from the main line in Campbell River as a kid and we could hear the trucks coming from miles away .Used to go down to the mainline an watch them going buy loaded was pretty cool when you were 10 years old. The mainline was paved and they were letting it all hang out loaded.

HDX

075 Yes the exhaust pipe came right off the manifold and up through the hood. When I bought what was left of her that was the configuration she had. At 1800RPM she would shake windows and I thought about it and changed the manifold to a rear dump one and it still has most of the same Cummins Choir sound. Every now and then I think about replacing it and stuffing it back up there and then think -- WHY BOTHER -- WELL MAYBE YES I know of what you speak old #4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. all at full throttle down the mainline Man just to be able to go back there today with the camera's we have now. I think #7 is the last LM around .She does not get out much anymore Mostly stay's in the shop where its dry She has done her time Maybe one day she will become just a GATE-GUARD

dmills1419

Occupation
HDX, Thanks for all the info on your LJSWL. I will probably produce the first variation exactly the way your truck is set up now, then do some other variations later. I want the hood side panels off to show the engine, reason for needing the engine data. I'll probably do it with 12' bunks and 50 ton trailer. She sure is a great looking truck, sounds like you have a lot of hours into her restoration.
Any info on a model being produced in Romania for H-17 in MB colors? A couple of dealers are showing photos of the truck on the internet. Thanks again for your help Steve, I'll probably be bugging you from time to time for more details. I'll make sure you get one of the first models when we get into production.

HDX

dmills1419 No I never heard that those guys over there were even thinking of doing H17 in model form. I have seen one or two of their trucks and they are pretty darn good. Hank Suderman (Hankstruckpictures) web site has one of the HD Loggers in Crown Z colors and Jim Falconer has the HD dumptruck modeled after his truck. Im honored that anybody would even think of building something like that. At the Hayes 90th Hayesno1 presented me with a model of H17 that he hand built and I just about fell over, She is beautiful Then I got to feeling nostolgic cause he built her in her original colors Red and White.I have been trying to get one of our welders to give me a hand and cut all that crap off the front bumper so she wont look like a Pacific anymore. I dont,nor will I ever say that she is still original because she is NOT One day we will get into a H17 topic. As for old "ERT" well she is just a piece of history from long ago and if you want info or anything just feel free to ask. I have engine side panels but dont put them on for the same reason you wont include them on your model Don