• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

union apprenticeship testing

dig dug

does anyone know where i can find a study guide or what to study for the test to get in the local 66 operating engineers program. has anyone taken the test before? its for the western pa union.

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
I wouldnt worry about the test too much. Its mostly just general knowledge stuff. I took it last yr and i guess ill take it this yr too. I cant remember off the top of my head whats on it but if i do ill let ya know.

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Im not sure on that. Iv heard that its a low number though, somewhere around 10-20? Im not sure though

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
The apprenticeship tests are general knowledge of reading and math, 25 questions for each section. I just took mine 2.5 weeks ago and interviewed as well. The tests aren't hard, I missed 4 out of 50, I didn't do too bad. The number of apprentices taken is determined by the outlook for the upcoming season. Out there, they take anywhere from 40-60, but I suppose that completely depends on location.

adam5557

I am from michigan and about to take a test to get in the union apprenticeship I am 18 years old what are my chances of actually getting in if I do good on the test

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
You younger people might want to relate to the testers any experience you have operating, from what I understand if you are completely proficient on something it greatly improves your chances of landing something solid.

Turbo21835

You younger people might want to relate to the testers any experience you have operating, from what I understand if you are completely proficient on something it greatly improves your chances of landing something solid.

Must be different in different locals.

adam5557, I wish you luck, I am a member of 324. I tried to get in through the apprenticeship once. The test you are about to take is basically a GED test. Covers math, reading, and a few other things if memory serves me right. I took the test with 500 other people. This was just the lower Michigan testing, there were also 100+ for the norther Michigan testing. Of those 600 only 50 were accepted based on needs of the time.

Your odds may be a little better now. Our membership is getting old. Last I heard our average age was somewhere around 48. This means empty seats in the near future. With the way our economy is, Ive noticed a few old timers hanging up their hardhats. Cant say that I blame them. Traveling all around the state, working for many different contractors in a season. I had one old timer tell me its a lot like the early 80s. You can get a trunk full of hard hats in a season.

Now the way I got into 324. I worked non union out of state for a few years. Found a non union contractor in Michigan that would put me on. Then I finally found a union contractor to hire me. They signed me into the union. Basically, I bought my card. But I signed on as a full journeyman. You could say my apprenticeship was with non union contractors.

jmason

Study!!

There will be about 5-6 hundred persons apply for local 66's apprenticeship program! I graduated in 1979 when there was over a thousand applicants for 100 opening's. I still work in the industry, best place to be if you want to operate equipment. Applicants scores are seperated by less than one point so the test is very competitive, study just like taking a college test!!!

operator2525

im in the process of getting into Local 66 Western PA Operating engineers. Anyone have any info on this behavioral interview my letter from 66 says 3-4 hours long?? why is it so long? is the interview really 3-4 hours long? i dont see how an interview could last that long...

Occupation
Operator
im in the process of getting into Local 66 Western PA Operating engineers. Anyone have any info on this behavioral interview my letter from 66 says 3-4 hours long?? why is it so long? is the interview really 3-4 hours long? i dont see how an interview could last that long...

I'm wondering the same thing at this time. Any updates?

Trucker845

You should absolutely try and get the highest score you possibly can 70s and 80s aren't going to cut it if you have 15 guys getting 95s or higher I scored a 100 on my entrance exam for 10 spots out of 100 guys always try and do better then the others if you want to stand out for a spot

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I would be more worried about the interview. You need to have a basic understanding of how and why Unions work as well as a basic understanding of how Union bosses think. You could ace the test and be the best operator in the state, but if your ideals and worldview don't line up with the Union, you are DOA.