• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Undercarriage options

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
I'm having to buy an undercarriage. I believe that a Caterpillar branded U/C is the best, no matter............ then there's the rest of that stuff. But being that Cat doesn't offer an undercarriage for an older D8H, and only the Cat Classic line, which is not Cat at all, I think it's a repackaged I-Trac.

Then there's the rest: Berco, I-Trac, and KUT. Have any of you done a side-by-side comparison of the best of the latter? I've got to buy one, might as well buy the best of the aftermarket.:confused:

Thanks for the opinions,

Jason M.

DPete

For that 8H you just bought? I have had pretty good luck with Berco, had one set of rails that flaked out a little long time ago the rest have been OK

QuickTrax

The Brand on the Cat Classic is Nexus and yes, it is aftermarket. You have a few different aftermarket brands to choose from. Berco, ITM, DCF, V-Track, ITR, KUT. Berco and ITM are the best but they are not much cheaper than Cat. V-Track and ITR are made by a couple different companies. KUT which is (Korea Undercarriage Track) and DCF (Dae Chang Forging) makes the ITR and V-Track in their manufacturing plants in Korea. ITR and V-Track puts their stamp on each link. I sell undercarriage all day everyday and my opinion is that the Korean chains are all the same. They all come with a 3 year 4000 hr warranty or 100% wore, whichever comes first. I believe that is the same as the Cat warranty. The ITR or V-Track will be the best bang for your buck. They are the same track except for the writing on the links.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I have a set of ITM rail on D6R and they are holding up good so far,but our soils are not as abrasive as other types.More problem with mud then anything,which mean just having too keep the tracks cleaned out more often.

I would consider getting another set when time comes,if can't get Cat originals.They was new on the machine when i bought it 4600hrs,little over 7000hrs now older D6R.:usa

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
For that 8H you just bought? I have had pretty good luck with Berco, had one set of rails that flaked out a little long time ago the rest have been OK

Yup, for that D8H. Thanks.

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
The Brand on the Cat Classic is Nexus and yes, it is aftermarket. You have a few different aftermarket brands to choose from. Berco, ITM, DCF, V-Track, ITR, KUT. Berco and ITM are the best but they are not much cheaper than Cat. V-Track and ITR are made by a couple different companies. KUT which is (Korea Undercarriage Track) and DCF (Dae Chang Forging) makes the ITR and V-Track in their manufacturing plants in Korea. ITR and V-Track puts their stamp on each link. I sell undercarriage all day everyday and my opinion is that the Korean chains are all the same. They all come with a 3 year 4000 hr warranty or 100% wore, whichever comes first. I believe that is the same as the Cat warranty. The ITR or V-Track will be the best bang for your buck. They are the same track except for the writing on the links.

Thanks for the education.... my local Cat dealer couldn't get an answer as to "who" manufactured their Cat Classic line.
Anyway, since you're involved, "Why don't you send me a quote for an entire U/C for a Cat D8H (46A) and maybe we can do some business?":) I haven't decided yet. Houston is not far and could pick up there. Quote the U/C from several different manufacturers, complete U/C.
318 876 3326 (office)
318 876 2411 (fax)
318 359 4827 (cell)

Jason M.

jrx

Thanks for the education.... my local Cat dealer couldn't get an answer as to "who" manufactured their Cat Classic line.
Anyway, since you're involved, "Why don't you send me a quote for an entire U/C for a Cat D8H (46A) and maybe we can do some business?":) I haven't decided yet. Houston is not far and could pick up there. Quote the U/C from several different manufacturers, complete U/C.
318 876 3326 (office)
318 876 2411 (fax)
318 359 4827 (cell)

Jason M.

I have a set of ITM rail on D6R and they are holding up good so far,but our soils are not as abrasive as other types.More problem with mud then anything,which mean just having too keep the tracks cleaned out more often.

I would consider getting another set when time comes,if can't get Cat originals.They was new on the machine when i bought it 4600hrs,little over 7000hrs now older D6R.:usa

Dear Quick Trax,
Do you know if DCF makes the V-Track ?
Are there chinese manufacturers for D8, D10 and D11 track chains? What about quality?
Is there anybody in Asia that can make the Komatsu D475 track chain?
I appreciate your help.
jrxchina@gmail.com

QuickTrax

jrx, My supplier confirmed that dcf makes some of the v-track. I don't know if any Chinese manufacturers make d8,d10, or d11 chains. I do know that Korean manufacturers make up to d10 chains. I am not sure if they manufacture d11 chains.

I do not know about the d475 chains. I know berco makes them and they are based out of Italy.

I hope this can help.
Thanks Quicktrax

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
under carriage

I'm having to buy an undercarriage. I believe that a Caterpillar branded U/C is the best, no matter............ then there's the rest of that stuff. But being that Cat doesn't offer an undercarriage for an older D8H, and only the Cat Classic line, which is not Cat at all, I think it's a repackaged I-Trac.

Then there's the rest: Berco, I-Trac, and KUT. Have any of you done a side-by-side comparison of the best of the latter? I've got to buy one, might as well buy the best of the aftermarket.:confused:

Thanks for the opinions,

Jason M.

This maybe a little of the subject, but I have found some good deals on used tracks and undercarriage. Lots of machines being turned back in with cab fires HUMMMM and the bottom end are still very good. I have seen good parts at my local Cat used parts section. You just got to be careful and know what you are buying. Price usually about half the cost of new stuff
Just a thought

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
I don't know if they still make them but at one time DCF made the D11 chain. The set I saw only had about 600 hours on them and they were toast.

ML

metman33

Occupation
TRACK SHOP/PARTS SALES
D11

I offer alot of the same brands as the fellow in Texas. We have sold several of the larger undercarriages in KY, IN, and IL. D8N/R to the D11N/R. Currently, there has not been a D11 undercarriage to last in our area. We have sold 3 this year. ITM has done the best in the larger tracks, but are working on 3rd and 4th generation tracks to do better. The Vtrack D10, was made by DCF and it failed. I know this, because my company had to put P&B in it for free. It is not much fun to do that with all the lifting for nothing. It is strange, but they tell me that DCF doen't make all of Vtracks products, but they did the D10. ITM is in my opinion is a step ahead of the other aftermarkets in the larger machines. We had Berco links chipping and they said it was cosmetic and wouldn't do anything about it. But for the record, I believe that the conventional dozers can run the Korean products and the smaller hi drive(D7H & down) Cats can too. YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS WHO YOU BUY THE UNDERCARRIGE FROM.:usa

metman33

Occupation
TRACK SHOP/PARTS SALES
I have always thought that NEXUS for Caterpillar was made by Nordtrack in Italy. There stuff was available for a while in America and then it disappeared right before the NEXUS program.

Bullcat

Occupation
Owner, operator, excavating
D8H with D155 chain and pads

I just put new D155 chains on my 8H last year. But that was what was on it and the the shoes were 80% yet. If you need new pads you might want to consider that option.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Ran Berco for years, and never had any issues. Just cause it says CAT doesn't always mean its the best...the most expensive maybe but not always the best.

Trbo

QuickTrax

A few months back we sold a set of used D155 track groups to a customer who was putting them onto a D8K and he hasn't had any problems at all.

RolyD8k

Occupation
farmer & earthmoving contractor
D8 tracks

we used to run our D8,s on berco tracks,but would,nt guarentee a wet
turn because we were on 28" shoes,and a wet turn you must have to
eliminate internal wear,now we only use cat who will guarentee the wet
turn on a 28" shoe.

QuickTrax

Most undercarriage dealers will only offer a 50% warranty on the pin and bushings at turn time on LGP machines. Any standard track machine should have a 100% warranty on any dry joints.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Most undercarriage dealers will only offer a 50% warranty on the pin and bushings at turn time on LGP machines. Any standard track machine should have a 100% warranty on any dry joints.

Man Tommy sure has taught you a lot.Tell that Turd Billy said hello.