• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Undercarrage idler bearing/bush

Volvomad

The idler bearings on our 1150B dissapeared . The center of the roller is worn away . It only does 100 hours on a very good year but runs like a sewing machine .I was thinking of doing a cheap fix with either flanged oilite bushes with ID 60 mm and OD 75 mm or BU type split bearing bushes (dry running type) or am I too tight with the pocket ?

Delmer

On a dozer that runs like a sewing machine, I'd do it a little better than something like a roller on a mini excavator that doesn't travel much, or a manure spreader on a hobby farm type of repair. My thinking is you can either weld it up quick and dirty, or if you're going to machine it out, then you might as well put a sleeve and the original bearing back in it. Plus, you'd hate to think of where a dozer could get stranded vs a manure spreader.

I can say that a hard shaft runs better than you'd think on a bushing made of plain steel pipe as long as there's a bit of grease.

Volvomad

Thanks Delmer , it is hard to beat a dung spreader for a rough repair . All mistakes get covered up fairly lively . I would have to replace my carrier brackets to go back to taper roller bearings to get some seals working . As for greasing , short on using a spade on the operator , I would have to go and dig out the grease nipple my self daily .

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .
I can say that a hard shaft runs better than you'd think on a bushing made of plain steel pipe as long as there's a bit of grease
Well said Delmer. Over the years I have posted on here about modifying pivots of loaders and excavator buckets and such like with sections of new D9 track bush and using standard D9 pins. Cheap, effective and it really does work . . .not in the original posters situation though.

I am just making the point that some of the old ways are still very appropriate in some applications . . .hi-tech is not always better.

Cheers.

Volvomad

Just an update on this . I measured and drew up the shaft and boss and got the oilite bush 6 months ago ,gave it to the machine shop 2 months ago and welded it only now .

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 33