• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Try it one time

1080 bobcat

Occupation
self employed mechainc
After watching ax men last year i told my wife if i knew someone out on the west coast i would like to go out there for 2 months and work on a crew to say i done it.And to see how much differnt it is than pulling chokers in the hills in the south.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I grew up in a small town in north central pa where the hills are every bit as steep, just not as long and logging was the #1 income for the town. Half the town owned a skidder, large saw, or a sawmill.

Then I watched ax men.... those boys are making a tv show, not trying to get logs to the mill, and feed their families. I think the show pays the loggers to act like they are trying, and to run around and be stupid at the same time.

BDFT

I now a guy here that worked in Arkansas and Oklahoma for a while. I don't know about GA or PA but he said the loggers in Arkansas and Oklahoma couldn't pack our lunch. He could have been bitter because he ended up being deported back to Canada. :D No green card.

gologit

Occupation
Logger
As a rule there are usually more loggers looking for work than there are jobs. This is especially true in this area. Most of the people that get hired are local guys, known by reputation, and most of them tend to stick with the same outfits.
So much of the logging is mechanized now that settting chokers behind a Cat or a skidder isn't even an option. Almost everything I see now has grapples on it. You might be able to catch on with a helicopter or a yarder show in the rigging but even those jobs are hard to find. How's your Spanish? The last job we had Columbia Helicopters do for us had all Mexicans in the rigging.
As far as falling jobs go it's almost impossible to find anything. There are always more fallers than there is work. Always. A good faller with a good reputation can usually scrounge up enough work to call it a living but it's always a struggle. The last faller we broke in was my nephew and I don't foresee us doing that again any time soon. There's too many of them out there that we can just point out their strip to and not have to worry about them to put up with training anybody.

I don't mean to rain on your parade and I wish you well. But if you're thinking about trying it out here make sure your wife has a good job. LOLOLOL

1080 bobcat

Occupation
self employed mechainc
NAW i just wont try it one time to say i done it far as the wife she support me now she says somebody has to make the living. She get mad at me when i find a little bit of wood to cut insted of turning wrenchs.Everybody i do work for thinks im crazy togo back logging.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Here is a little food for thought. Every single guy that I know that uses a chainsaw extensively or makes his living with one has scars to prove it. We are not talking about some of them, or most of them, I mean every single one. Some of the injuries were life threatening at the time, like complete loss of fingers and arms...

Stick to what your good at, the woods is a hard teacher.

1080 bobcat

Occupation
self employed mechainc
Been there done that got the scar to prove it like to bleed death 2 years ago cause doing something i done 1000 time before with a saw cut my left arm 100s of stichs worst cut i every got with a saw. it hard to give up going to the woods when been around it all your life .

prolog nz

As a rule there are usually more loggers looking for work than there are jobs. This is especially true in this area. Most of the people that get hired are local guys, known by reputation, and most of them tend to stick with the same outfits.
So much of the logging is mechanized now that settting chokers behind a Cat or a skidder isn't even an option. Almost everything I see now has grapples on it. You might be able to catch on with a helicopter or a yarder show in the rigging but even those jobs are hard to find. How's your Spanish? The last job we had Columbia Helicopters do for us had all Mexicans in the rigging.
As far as falling jobs go it's almost impossible to find anything. There are always more fallers than there is work. Always. A good faller with a good reputation can usually scrounge up enough work to call it a living but it's always a struggle. The last faller we broke in was my nephew and I don't foresee us doing that again any time soon. There's too many of them out there that we can just point out their strip to and not have to worry about them to put up with training anybody.

I don't mean to rain on your parade and I wish you well. But if you're thinking about trying it out here make sure your wife has a good job. LOLOLOL

Its the opposite down here in New Zealand mainly a shortage of experienced operators as the logging industry is hard out and has been for the past few years check out a few of the jobs around at the moment
http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/jobs/listings.aspx?mcat=5000-5015-5018-&key=838063&page=1

maddog

After watching ax men

They are not loggers{actors}, if they could make money they'd wear dresses and pole dance

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302

Huntaholic

Maybe Im wrong, on 2nd thought Im sure I am, but it sure looks to me like the ONE hard job out there is the one they never show: the timber cutter! Other than that, it looks like them ole boys have got it a whale of a lot easier than we do down here. Id love to take one of their choker setters and bring him down here and put him pulling 400 ft of cable in these hills all day long. Then we would see who could carry who's lunch.

Redwood Climber

About as Fake as you can get..........

Maybe Im wrong, on 2nd thought Im sure I am, but it sure looks to me like the ONE hard job out there is the one they never show: the timber cutter! Other than that, it looks like them ole boys have got it a whale of a lot easier than we do down here. Id love to take one of their choker setters and bring him down here and put him pulling 400 ft of cable in these hills all day long. Then we would see who could carry who's lunch.

Sir;

Don't let Hollywoods version of logging fool you, it is very tough work. I've never worked for an outfit that would put up with the balogna you see on axe men. Any logging boss I ever worked for would have got right in the middle of the bleep da bleep bleep arguments that go on and on........he would have set you straight right off the bat!
You can argue like girls at home, get your bleep to work. We are here to get logs, if you can't do that, then go home!!

A logging outfit cannot afford to lose hours in a day like they PORTRAY on axemen. Most yarder sides need at least $500 dollars an hour to survive, and Hollywood wants us to think it would be ok to argue and goof off? This show is an insult to every logger who busts his butt trying to make it. Yes, I do watch it too, I love the equiment, the challenge, the striving to make a success of it. But unfortunetly they have to try to make it "appealing" to increase ratings. Realize that many of the situations are staged. Why else would they have a camera setup by the tailholt waiting for it to pull? Why else would they have a camera mounted on a tailgate waiting for the boat trailer to separate from the truck?
Why else would the campfire that the fella "built" when he was lost (the Papac crew)
look like it was only 2 hours old? Because these things are staged!
Realize that these people are ENCOURAGED to act like immature men, Hollywood is doing a job on Manhood these days. You don't see tv shows that portray men as men,the real kind of men that I have always looked up to.

I agree with you cutting timber is hard work, so is the rest of it. I would be honored to carry your lunch sir, I am only interested to see who can get the most logs! Lets go!

No personal attack on you Sir, I agree with you, it makes us look like pantiewaist loggers, nothing could be further from the truth. The producers or editors should be castrated if they do not like being men.

dirty4fun

I have only seen one show, when I was stayed at a motel. The show was made to appeal to the television watcher, I felt. Never been around logging but lots of other places and in real life it just doesn't work that way. It was enjoyable to see the machinery, but way to much B S for me, I would much rather see everyone just doing their jobs, not a bunch of made up stuff, and fluff.

Diamond Danebo

Occupation
Equipment operator
Its the opposite down here in New Zealand mainly a shortage of experienced operators as the logging industry is hard out and has been for the past few years check out a few of the jobs around at the moment
http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/jobs/listings.aspx?mcat=5000-5015-5018-&key=838063&page=1

Not trying to be offensive to Aussie's but After Being here for a little bit it seems like there is a shortage of people that want to do the work associated with Cable Logging, there is a definate need for workers in some areas of forestry.