• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trouble with a Clark Lift model C500's hydraulics

rabia

Banned
You are required to have proper training about forklifts. Without training you should not buy them.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
US requires training on operation of a forklift.

Never knew of any "training" of how to buy them.

We just jumped in cold and bought for $xxx.xx, repaired or updated for $xxx.xx,
rented out till recovered buying price plus repair/update total, then sold for twice
that figure. (EG: $500 cost, $500 repair/update, minus rental income of $1000,
sold for $2000.
May not work where you are but did here for 14 years. The rental out 30 day warranty
proofs the machine and provides income for the little things you find to make it "more
attractive" to a buyer.

theycallmedoc

Thanks to all who responded with info on my forklift. I found the serial number which was stamped on the outside of the right side “frame”” the big ½” plate slab side of the machine near the floorboard intersection. I contacted Clark equipment and they sent me a brochure on the machine a 1955 model year Carloader 4024 it turns out to be. 4000 lift capacity with curb weight 6800 pounds. It is a 1 mb file so don’t think can attach but if anyone wants it PM me. They also sent the original build card with all the part numbers in the machine and the name of the original dealer and purchaser which was pretty neat. When I get time I am going to flush/change the brake fluid and the hydraulic oil. The Clark literature says there is an electric parking brake actuator/lock for the hydraulic brakes as one poster mentioned but that button if there was one is gone from my “instrument panel”. Will check that out someday when I get time.

Michigan, United States

New problem - the crankshaft pulley that drives the fan and generator is loose - rotates about 15 degrees to and fro. The big bolt in the center of it is hard to get to, but I managed about 1/4 turn on it, it was looser than a bolt that big should be, still probably looser than spec. Pulley still loose, rotates by hand.

I suspect is keyed and key slot in pulley worn out? Or worse crank keyway bad. Any suggestions? Looks like have to pull radiator to get to this area with any ease.

Has a Continental F-163 motor, not the original per the spec sheet Clark sent me.