• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trojan 1900 Torque Converter Leak

JSLBNY

I have a Trojan 1900 with a Clark C272 torque converter that continues to leak into the engine flywheel pretty severely. About 1 gallon every 4 hours.

I have replaced the oil baffle seal and o-rings (#'s 88, 93, 94 & 95) but the leak is still the same as before. Replacement of these parts is specifically mentioned in the troubleshooting section of the manual for the symptom of trans oil in the engine flywheel housing.

I am almost certain that the oil baffle seal is still leaking and not the o-rings because I used permatex on the o rings and got a nice consistent bead around the edges when everything was torqued down. The oil baffle seal has been installed facing the right direction as well.

The oil seal that the Clark dealer gave me for this was a Spicer 235593. It did not seem as tight around the impeller hub as it should of been during assembly. It made contact all the way around but wasn't super tight. Should it be a really snug fit?

Trans pressure gauge in the cab reads normal and loader seems to function just fine. Does this seal need a certain pressure behind it to work properly?

Would an issue with the gravity drain back to the transmission sump have anything to do with this?

What am I missing? Thanks.

tc1.jpgtc2.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Seal needs to be free enough to allow it to turn with out damage. I checked the part number you posted and it shows a being for a shaft size of 4 inches and fits a housing bore of 5 inches and 7/16 wide. Spring side of the seal should be facing the inside of converter.

One area I have seen a problem on other converters is the flange of the impeller, (looks like # 89) near where the 24 bolts 106-107 go. I've seen these crack on othere brands and let oil into the flywheel housing. You have to look real close as crack will open up under pressure. Not saying that's your problem just something to be looking at real close!

JSLBNY

That could be a possibility because the problem gets worse after the machine is warmed up and is working hard. Thanks for the suggestion. Will be pulling the motor and cracking the converter open again soon, maybe third times a charm!

kshansen

Occupation
That could be a possibility because the problem gets worse after the machine is warmed up and is working hard. Thanks for the suggestion. Will be pulling the motor and cracking the converter open again soon, maybe third times a charm!

Another idea just came to me, how and where does the transmission pump mount and drive? Is there a way a leak in the pump could let oil get to the flywheel?

JSLBNY

I had the impeller cover and oil baffle magnetic particle tested. The cover has a crack in it all the way through so you were on the right track kshansen. Getting a new cover and fingers crossed this is it.

kshansen

Occupation
I had the impeller cover and oil baffle magnetic particle tested. The cover has a crack in it all the way through so you were on the right track kshansen. Getting a new cover and fingers crossed this is it.

Sorry to hear it was cracked but glad to know you found something definite! Hate when there is a problem with no obvious cause, especially if they decide to disappear on their own!