• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trimble or Topcon?

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
I should have been more specific. What does the MC2 equipment cost? I have a call into my local top con dealer but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I can install everything myself.

dont know the prices in us but i think here in europe it will cost from 30-47000 euros depending on whether you want lightbarguidance only or with automatic blade control and if you want it with one or two antennas ??
take my advise and go for auto and two antennas and pay the extra money for topcon two install it that way you are sure off getting the warranty and better backup after

why not go for trimbles dual gps ive used it for 6 years everyday and its the best i have come over yet never had one day down and many times i have been able to go on where topcon and leica systems cant get enough coverage

Kellogg Report

If you are curious about the various 3D grade control systems on the market, you can visit The Kellogg Report. It has very detailed comparisons of systems for excavators, dozers and graders with in-depth explanations and illustrations.

Currently, Trimble, Topcon, Caterpillar AccuGrade, Leica, Carlson and Prolec are included. More will be added at a later date.

http://www.kelloggreport.com

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
If you are curious about the various 3D grade control systems on the market, you can visit The Kellogg Report. It has very detailed comparisons of systems for excavators, dozers and graders with in-depth explanations and illustrations.

Currently, Trimble, Topcon, Caterpillar AccuGrade, Leica, Carlson and Prolec are included. More will be added at a later date.

http://www.kelloggreport.com

Cst's Accugrade (GPS) is made for them by Trimble, they are pretty much the same system.

Kellogg Report

You're right: Trimble's GCS900 and CAT's AccuGrade products are developed and manufactured by Caterpillar Trimble Control Technologies LLC, -a joint venture between the two companies.

However similar they may be, though, they are marketed as two different systems under different brand names so the comparison treats them as such.

It's also important to remember that due to firmware and software restrictions, the components are not necessarily cross-compatible.

Bigironjim

Occupation
Lard, wishes, manure, nails, bongo's, flyswatters,
You're right: Trimble's GCS900 and CAT's AccuGrade products are developed and manufactured by Caterpillar Trimble Control Technologies LLC, -a joint venture between the two companies.

However similar they may be, though, they are marketed as two different systems under different brand names so the comparison treats them as such.

It's also important to remember that due to firmware and software restrictions, the components are not necessarily cross-compatible.

True. Previous to V10.8,software, the Trimble 3-D box, CD430, and the AccuGrade 3-D, CD700, had some portability issues. The AccuGrade sytem on an ARO (Accugrade Ready Option) machine, utilised Cat safety systems, such as parking brake, and transmission neutral (and out of seat switch on M series motor grader) to prevent engaging automatics, unless there was an operator in the seat and the machine was ready to work. But with V10.8 and later, they are completely portable, CD430 on an ARO Accugrade machine, or CD700 on a "Trimble ready" machine. All that is necessary is to save your measure up"machine settings" and the features you have loaded to the display, on the compact flash card, and take it to the other display.

spatterfree

What does that accugrade cost on cat 262c? Someone told me cat wants $5000 to enable software to get it working? Please let me know,

Bigironjim

Occupation
Lard, wishes, manure, nails, bongo's, flyswatters,
Your CAT dealer will charge a fee to enable the SEA, Software Enabled Attachment, in order to allow the AccuGrade automatics to function. It is, by far the cleanest install and works smooth! A sytem from LeveBest can be installed on a non-ARO Skid steer, with an external E H valve and there is no SEA charge.

DBarron

Right now we have tested the Trimble and the Topcon 3D setup on John Deere's 764 HSD which demands the fastest grade response of all machines. The Topcon is much faster at adjusting to grade than the Trimble setup. However other than that they work great at doing what they designed for, I just know that response time on the Trimble is slower. As far as accuracy they were exactly the same, I mean you can't get much better than a 10th of an inch. I mean really a 10th of an inch is awesome! We rovered several spots and both were at a 10th, that's pretty crazy. The only time we had a problem was when we were at full speed with 764, the Trimble would miss some high spots on grade. I guess this was a wild post of gps and laser equipment, lol

Last edited:

Kellogg Report

DBarron doesn't say which Topcon system he tried on the 764, but most likely it was Topcon's 3D-MC2.

This system is quite different from Trimble's GCS900 in that it uses an inertial measurement unit (IMU) mounted on the blade.

This sensor can measure pitch, slope, yaw and acceleration in every direction which allows for a system with much faster response. (100Hz correctional rate versus 10Hz). Leica's PowerGrade 3D is the only other system on the market to offer this.

You can learn about the IMU technology here:
You can compare all three 3D dozer systems here:

PWR

Occupation
Land Improvement Contractor
t_dirt are you still involved with Topcon GPS?

Grademan

mc2 is great! Its amazing the difference. We are a Topcon Company BUT I just purchased a 2006 Cat D6R with Trimble Accugrade. Does anyone know if my topcon base will talk to the trimble? Or do I have to purchase a trimble base and rover?

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
mc2 is great! Its amazing the difference. We are a Topcon Company BUT I just purchased a 2006 Cat D6R with Trimble Accugrade. Does anyone know if my topcon base will talk to the trimble? Or do I have to purchase a trimble base and rover?

i would not reccommend to use the topcon base with trimble our experience here with common base stations are not good at all

t_dirt

@ PWR, yes i am still selling Topcon, Business is good, I am super excited about the MC2 Motor grader!! PM if you need something. We have a very big machine control inventory!!
@ Grademan, that question can not be answered without more info.
What type of base do you have?? Is it UHF, or SS (915SS)? What type of radio does the Cat Sys, have??
If they are both UHF, then Yes, UHF's, can be set the same and the "language" can be set the same, CMR, CMR+, RTCM2.XX, RTCM3.XX.
If not you may be able to add some auxillary radios and broadcast both. There is a company that builds some cool cables to hook up different brands!!
I am not that familiar going that way, but our Topcon Systems will run just fine off a Trimble UHF base, Topcon has Trimble radio setting. Topcon seems to be alot more friendly working with the competition than Cat.

Laxin

Topcon is pretty sweet. my 345d had it. some issues but over all it seems like a good system.

Farmboy74

It is worth remembering that aglasergps IS a TRIMBLE DEALER..... Btw I know someone with 3 Topcon systems and his 2 (older) Trimble systems are for sale - ??? Btw, I don't have either so I am unbiased....

Sigep761

I know this is a question within a question and it seems to be repetitive but i am about to purchase my first gps/site positioning system. First question is obviously Trimble or Topcon? I am leaning towards Trimble simply because we buy all CAT equip and it makes the most sense. But do they have anything to compare to the 3DMC2 system? Does Trimble have anything new coming out soon because teh GCS900 system is about 2 years old now. I am just starting with a Base station and rover and just need some guidance. Thanks.

Sigep761

This is the package i am looking to buy...used from another contractor.. Asking price is $35,000. Is this a deal? is there anything better than this right now?

SPS851 Base Station, GPS/L2C 900 mhz radio, GLONASS Option

Zephyr Model 2 GPS antenna for base station

SPS881 Rover, GPS/L2c 900 mhz radio, GLONASS Option, w/ pole and bipod

Trimble Tablet w/SCS900 installed

Terramodel Software Roading Special - includes Highway, CAD, COGO, Contour, Site Roadway, 2D to 3D model conversion option

Kellogg Report

I am leaning towards Trimble simply because we buy all CAT equip and it makes the most sense. But do they have anything to compare to the 3DMC2 system?

The answer to that question is no. CAT and Trimble do not offer a system with an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) like Topcon's 3D-MC2.

There is another system that does, however. Leica's PowerGrade 3D offer their SP Technology add-on for dozers only.

A full comparison of all four systems can be found here: 3D Machine Control Comparison