• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

traverse telehandlers

hughjazz

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. Glad to be here.

I am a framer and have just purchased a 1999 traverse 6035.

about 1700 hrs, 3.9 cummins fully up to date on the service
looks to be in fantastic shape. (I have not physically seen it yet)

I bought it from metrolift in the chicago area

I have been researching what I can find about traverse machines,
but the info is slim.

Any gurus here know anthing about these guys?

Built well?
good design?
chronic issues?

Anything?

Thanks in advance.

John:notworthy

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Pettibone bought out Traverse lift. They look solid and I never heard any major problems with them. Not sure how parts supply will be if it is specific to your model. I would guess and hope Pettibone would be doing a decent job in this regard. Post up some pictures when you get it. I have only seen one on Long Island and I studied it well. Looked good

Last edited:

hughjazz

some pics

here are a few pics of it.

The traversing carriage is more useful than I imagined:)

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 969
  • 2000_TRAVerse.jpg
    2000_TRAVerse.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 988
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,170

hughjazz

I have a question too.

I do have a question about the operation of this machine.

It is equipped with electric parking brake if that matters.

I have noticed that left to idle for a couple of minutes, the engine (3.9 cummins) will drop the rpm by a few hundred.

This will last for about 5-10 seconds and then will return to normal.

Sounds like i pulled one of the levers, like the engine is being dragged down.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

I'm not sure if I should be worried. I haven't looked at anything in real detail yet, I've only put on 3 hrs so far. I do believe the engine is completely mechanical. It has a bosch pump.

My partner thinks it may be for pressurizing the hydraulic system back up?
I thought it may be for the parking brake to maintain pressure?

Neither one of us know very much about these things. I have run lots of machines before, and my partner was a farmer for years, but we are stumped.

Any thoughts?

John :eek:

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I would call Pettibone tech at the factory they bought Traverse.

Framer

looks scary

If you don't mind my 2 cents get some better rigging. Go to shaws in the paigan industrial, they sell to h&h and stuff like that get yourself chains w/ a masterlink. You can also get a jib for the machine. The jib will make your life better for that kind of lifting. Jody @ groundhog sales in inisfail sells them for a good price and they just mount on your forks. If you decide to get a diferent machine you can take it with you. Driving with the boom in the air like that is scary. The traverse is nice but you give up some manouverabilty. Looks like a good machine. To many framers spend to much money on there pickup in this city when they could have a small forklift that makes them money.

hughjazz

The next thing ob my to do list is a jib.

This was on the same day it arrived on the truck.

I basically drove it down the street to the roof sections. We were way behind. I think on a lot of roofs we may just throw the trusses up in bundles,and stand on the walls.

what do you have for a manbasket?

Tell me about the chain and master link. It that to be able to lengthen and shorten the chain?

What did you mean that the traverse limits maneuverability?

John

Framer

Masterlink

The masterlink is just an extra hook for the chain at the top closest to the connection. You hook where you need to and then tighten to the top. Of course with a crane you have lots of stick but a forklift is not a crane so it's best to rig it tight. Even though it's best to rig long . There's a post some manitou pics in action and look how low it's rigged to the jib. Then look at the crane photos. As for the traverse machines that traverse do not usually have as good of a turning radius. Extra features require machines to be built longer which is fine if your framing an acreage but not good if you've got to turn around in a backyard. Swing carriages are awesome but they weigh more cutting down on distance in front. Bad riging is the fastest way to tip your machine.