• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transfer Dump Trucks? Who has one or has an opinion?

Silveroddo

Hey There, I was wondering if anyone out there runs transfer dump trucks and trailers? I searched the forums and came up with nothing, and here in MN I've never seen one on the road, and all of the ones I find for sale are in California, Montana, and western states. Seems like a good idea, my main interest is in the ability to get the 2nd load into a tight space, which is the problem guys seems to run into with a standard pup around here in residential applications.
The Pros to them I can see are
Haul 20+ yards per round,
High lift hydraulic tail gate on the truck, nice for hauling demo/stumps
Maintain a short length on the truck for manuverability (15-16' boxes)
As I said before ability to get the 2nd load into a tight spot, down residential driveways with no good turn around, etc.
The Cons I can see
a slightly longer cycle time compared to a standard pup (15 minutes?)
Need a more skilled driver to operate it
higher insurance?
How hard are they to back up?

What do you think? It surprises me that there arent more of these out there, I'm assuming theres a reason for it I'm not catching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woi0T4XVf1s

Jdigger4130

Hello, I am not A dump trucker but my buddies are. What I can tell ya is the stump/demo idea will wreck the body. The system runs on rails in the bed and are relativly fragile. They are ideal for sand gravel base fill ect.. Watchin my buddies transfer is really impressive as they can really go! They tell me they they legal here in Ca around 23.5 to 26.5 ton depending on how the truck is specced! I was taught how to "transfer" and it was easier than I expected. This was on A Reliance system. I assume bridge laws are why you do not see them? I just returned from Oregon and they use many type of dump truck set-ups that I rarely see around my area. I spot mainly end dumps for demo, double bottoms for asphalt work w super dumps and transfers mixed in and lotsa transfer setups for all types of things. 10 wheelers too but not so much in the bay area! Check out Cozad trailers website as they bought Reliance for real data from the manufacture end of things maybe

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
can't put demo/stumps in a transfer box it has rails for the tub to ride on... it takes a more skilled driver in a dump and pup IMO, "to back up?" Both truck and trailer?

monster truck

I have spent quite a bit of time in a transfer and second to heavy haul they are my favorite type of truck to drive. You can order rock tubs on a transfer to allow you to haul anything from rip rap to stumps but they are heavier than the standard boxes, I know of a couple high sides running around here that are hauling 40+ yards a load. You mentioned most of the advantages but another is that they are far lighter than a pup do to only having one box dump, that eliminates a second dump cylinder, dump frame and all of the extra hydraulic lines and connections that would have to go with a pup. Backing them up takes a little getting used to because you have two pivot points behind you but once you get used to them it can be done fairly easy. The cycle times on a transfer vary depending on how far away you have to leave your trailer, but if your close it takes no time at all and is not going to make any significant difference at the end of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTv8RrGR55w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKuWgtBYxI&feature=related

Silveroddo

The 2 pivot point backing is what has me wondering, normally your always looking for that 90 degree approach to back into and pull out of. I know one guy that had a logging pup set up with a dolly in the front and he mentioned an air actuated pin that limited how far the "fifth wheel" could pivot when backing. I've found a couple of highsides like your talking about with 4 axel trailers and tri axel trucks, are the ones your seeing getting 40 yard loads similarly equipped do you think?
I need to do some more research, but the hauling stumps and rip rap could be 30-40% of what I'd be doing with one, all loading with an excavator and thumb. Any thoughts?
Thanks for the replies!

huffmanmb

Occupation
IUOE Apprentice Equipment Operator
We run reliance (2001/2005) transfers were I work, and my dad purchased a 2006 beall/truckweld transdrive unit in 2008 that he still has. We haul 2/3 man rip rap, stumps, building demo, sand and gravel, asphalt, logs and brush, broken concrete and asphalt you name it. We have had no problems with the rails or the tubs so far. They have taken the abuse just as well as the truck and pups. We wont haul huge 4/5 man rock, and try to work with the operators to be cautious when loading or we try load ourselves. I have seen some issues when accidents or negligence have come to into play. Biggest issue we have had is the tailgates on the trailer tubs being only one is a highlift so they have been tweaked a bit. Find something with highlift on the front and rear, and that were built with hardox or heavy rock tubs. Our 2001 has the lighter tubs and has more rock dings. The 2005 has held up well with some big rock going through it. The 2006 has no damage to it so far and it it all hardox.

The backing can be a challenge but you get used to the hard way or know your transfer points so you dont end up backing up five miles cause there no place to spin around. Also all three trucks I mentioned were set up to pull pup trailers as well, so you can truly do either.

monster truck

In california we only run five axle setups (3 axle tractor with a 2 axle trailers) and most guys can legal in the 24-25 ton range with a few I know of getting up to 28. Some friends of mine have high sides that can haul 40 plus yards but they mainly haul lighter materials like wood chips, compost, etc. In oregon and washington they run the multi axle setups that you are talking about but thier weight limits are higher than ours. When it comes to backing them up the only thing that limits how far you can turn is when the draw bar hits the tires, if you wiggle around enough you can actually touch the front bumper of the truck to the back tires of the trailer, this guy come close.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E23pSAcfPY Here's another one from a competition to show you how they work and how fast they can be dumped... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLcMNGZCqV8

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
In monster truck's first video, it is best to do this when the trailer is empty. When full, it can be easily tipped over when the front axle is perpendicular to the frame if there are any sudden jerks. Also, flat hard ground is a plus when performing this manuever. A friend on mine has 6 transfer trucks. He and his sons often compete in the timed events and they often win or place very high. It is a real artform to watch. Sometimes only seconds separates 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

Colorado Digger

transfers and pups

i do not know much on this topic so please inform me. our material from november through april can be a real p.i.t.a. it sticks around the doghouse and freezes in the bed and corners and on back of tailgate. how would a transfer handle this, can you run a vibrater on them? what about shot rock, rip rap and boulders? would these materials blow out the rails?
i have a buddy that runs pups and he loves them. it seems our jobs are so tight that any type of trailer would be tough.
regards, cd

monster truck

Most transfers dont have dog houses in the beds, the majority of them have the ram mounted to a hinged A-frame on the front of the box so you wont have a problem with that. A vibrator could be used just like on any other truck, it would mean one extra connection on the trailer box though. Teflon liners work miracles when it comes to the sticky stuff. Tight jobs are what transfer are made for, you can leave the trailer out in the street, in a staging area or 5 miles down the road if you have to, perfect for getting twice the load into places that only a truck can get.

Last edited: