• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

trailer hitch

Bartholomew

I agree the situation will be improved, but at extreme angle to the truck the trailer will still be as close as it was. If I was any good at graphics on the computer I could draw up a diagram to show what I'm talking about. If the trailer tongue length is not in excess of half the width of the trucks body they will still hit.

I understand this is an old conversation but a current problem with my Landscaping Isuzu Dump Trucks hitting my Enclosed Tandem Trailers constantly. Hitch Extensions have only caused more damage to my Trucks Receiver tubes getting wallowed out and eventually needing to be replaced. It is very unsafe to have this kind of movement extended as well which is greater movement like a Pry Bar on the entire hitch system. I am aware of the necessity to extend my Tongues on my trailers and really appreciate the Wisdom of Exceeding Half the Width of the Truck for Radius, but what about Driveways at Gas Stations, Dips in Intersections where the Truck and Trailer will have a brief moment of tilting towards each other. Is there a formula for that to take into consideration when making a plan of how long to extend the tongue. My Trucks are 8' Wide and almost as tall, as my trailers are very close to that too. I have been diamond plating with aluminum, to not add to the tongue weight too much, the front of my Trailers to act as a Rock Guard and lessen the Sheet Metal Damage and Hideous Appearance after my employees drive them. The Diamond Plate is surprisingly tough compared to the Skins on the trailers that tear like Reynolds wrap. They look much better but I don't want to trash them as well. I have sought several Hitch Designs to elongate the Nose of the Trailer and not just focus on the truck as the Weight needs to be transferred to the truck. We do not haul much more than basic lawn care equipment which I am also focusing on the even distribution of equipment by having permanent locations that lend to that theory. The Trailers have been designed with the front axle 11' from the front of the box on my 20' trailers and 9' on my 16' and 8' on my 14' trailers. It just doesn't appear to me that this helps with tongue weight as well. Maybe that is normal. After struggling with this I have been paying attention to anything I can to make a difference in Weight Distribution, Heavy Duty Ball Hitches, Receivers and Hitch Hold Downs to lessen the blow to the Trucks and Connection Points as I believe all play a part. I do not believe my Trailers are safe with a 4.5' Tongue. They have 3.5' now. The Trucks are 8' wide. I almost would be inclined to think 5.5' would be needed but do not to swing the pendulum the other way guessing.

Any Help and Information is greatly Appreciated in my ending this nonsense.

Bart

Old Doug

I have a truck that the bed over hangs 3feet. I am building a hitch that will be hinged with the bed when it dumps but the rear of the bed will have to support all the tongue weight. Because of this it will only be for light trailers.