• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trade it off or fix it up? Deerw 304H

colson04

We use a compact wheel loader to mix feed for our dairy cows, and this machine needs to run every single day totaling up about 2500 hours a year.

Currently, we have a high hour Deere 304H that has been a nagging thorn in our side since we got it 18 months ago. Machine has a touch over 13,000 hours. In general, this machine is tight, engine runs and starts excellent, and it's the right size for the application. The down side: plagued with high hour nickel and dime repairs that lead to excessive downtime and inconvenience. In the past 18 months, I don't think we've gone 60 days without at least 1 day of downtime. Longest stretch was a week waiting on a flywheel to arrive and a hydraulic motor to be rebuilt. During those events, we use a skid loader to mix feed, though it is quite slow, and cumbersome compared to a wheel loader.

At this point, we've replaced 2 starters, alternator, flywheel, several sensors and switches, brakes, 2 fuel shutoff solenoids, created a manual fuel shutoff cable, radiator overflow tank, rebuilt cooling fan motor, several hydraulic hoses, repaired several feet of deteriorating wire harness, deleted the AC unit, new rear tires, installed 3rd function Aux. Hydraulics, new throttle cable, rebuilt lift pump and just today sent the radiator out to be recored and a custom aluminum overflow tank to be made to get rid of that cheap plastic crap Deere put on them.

All of that said, we don't have $25,000 into this machine between purchase and repairs. We've done all the repairs ourselves, and just have parts plus lost time in it. We started shopping for a replacement about 6 weeks ago, and everything we've looked at is going to cost us at least $50,000 after trade in with a couple of the deals over 60k. Typically, we trade off the offending machine at this point to free ourselves of the annoyance, but this machine has us questioning. If we had engine or hydrostatic issues, it would be gone, but both seem to be real solid as of now. Maybe putting some money in this machine makes more sense than trading off like previous machinea. Also, if we do keep it, it still has a list of small repairs that would need to be done like rebuild some weeping hydraulic cylinders, maybe a wiring harness as the electrical gremlins are a pain in butt.

We've looked at Cat 906, Deere 304K, 204K, Volvo L30g, all used machines.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Once the nickel and dime show starts it never ends. How many hours do you have on the machine in total?

2,500 hours a year isn't much compared to what I see in this area. Also the dairy people here are using Cat 938 and 930 wheel loaders and generally trade them out at around 20,000 hours. I've seen plenty of Deere's in that range as well but the owners won't tell me what it cost to get to those high hours.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I am a big Volvo fan, but we bought a new L45g this spring and it is garbage. The strongo guy is thinking of moving closer to our shop. It spends more time in re gen than working. Would a good used L70F be too big? We have an 09 with about 16000 hours on it with hardly a lick of trouble.

colson04

Once the nickel and dime show starts it never ends. How many hours do you have on the machine in total?

2,500 hours a year isn't much compared to what I see in this area. Also the dairy people here are using Cat 938 and 930 wheel loaders and generally trade them out at around 20,000 hours. I've seen plenty of Deere's in that range as well but the owners won't tell me what it cost to get to those high hours.

This machine has 13,000 + hours and growing. A compact loader is well suited to the size of our operation. We have old facilities that limit our feed load size, so a bigger loader doesn't accomplish anything over the compacts we currently use since we don't need multiple buckets of any one commodity per load. Also, the compact size allows us to still drive into the barns (low ceilings) and handle skids of minerals and such.

The L70F looks like a nice loader, sized about the same as our Komatsu WA-180, both are too big for this application though.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
In my opinion CAT is the way to go . You pay more upfront but you make up for it on the back end,parts availability, service and longevity

colson04

In my opinion CAT is the way to go . You pay more upfront but you make up for it on the back end,parts availability, service and longevity

For the machines we are looking at, they're all priced in the same ballpark with the volvo being most expensive, Cat in the middle, and Deere all over depending on machine. The biggest variance were seeing is actually what they're willing to give us for trade in. Offers range from $8,000 up to $16,000 for trade in.

The biggest advantage of a Deere for us is dealer location. We're located 5 miles away from our local Ag John Deere dealer which can service and get parts for a 204 or 304 loader.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have had terrible luck with Cat loaders. The last good one we had was a 966F. I'd take an F model Volvo over a post F series Cat any day. I think John Deere had a good loader. We have 2 Deere excavators, lots of computer issues though. But the 450 dozer is great. I think this electronic stuff is great some ways, and horrible in others. Good luck with your purchase.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
To my mind trading this loader for another used machine is that you maybe going to have all the same problems again. If you can park it and go over it thoroughly you may have a reliable machine. Sometimes it's better the devil you know IMHO

colson04

I know what you mean tones. The machines that we are considering for purchase are all under 1500 hrs, so we would think they would have less issues than our 20 year old machine. As of right now, we're still using our 304H and putting money into it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
If it's 20 years old, keep it I have a 1989 model tractor thats far more reliable and easier to fix than a 2007 year machine. There's to much electronic junk on newer gear.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would consider a additional used machine. You would be able to stay away from the gremlins of the new ones which don't seem to have the invirobugs worked out yet. I have not seen any manufacturers reliability data on the newer machines. Its a spec that has apparently dropped of the charts and we can guess why. By having two proven machines at less than the price of one new one you should be able to have a backup for minor issue repairs. Only an opinion, you know what works best for you.

check

I would consider a additional used machine. You would be able to stay away from the gremlins of the new ones which don't seem to have the invirobugs worked out yet. I have not seen any manufacturers reliability data on the newer machines. Its a spec that has apparently dropped of the charts and we can guess why. By having two proven machines at less than the price of one new one you should be able to have a backup for minor issue repairs. Only an opinion, you know what works best for you.
I was thinking the exact same thing. For those of us who have time, ability and inclination to tinker, two paid off older machines are better than one new one. A busy man who hates mechanical problems might rather have a fast depreciating, planned to self-destruct at 6000 hours new machine complete with a bank loan. Then at 6000 hours he can replace it with a new machine and new bank loan.

colson04

Well, after the decision to keep it and sink a little money into it was made early last week, the powers to be traded it off yesterday on a 700 hour Deere 304k.

We still have to finish putting the new radiator in it, new one arrives next week

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Well, after the decision to keep it and sink a little money into it was made early last week, the powers to be traded it off yesterday on a 700 hour Deere 304k.

We still have to finish putting the new radiator in it, new one arrives next week
Keep us posted on how the new ones behaves and what the reliability is like.

colson04

Update on the 304k. We've put 150 hours on it and the tool changer quick disconnect quit working tonight. As always, it did it right before grinding hay since that's the job we need to switch attachments frequently during. The tool carrier is a skid steer style and has manual locking arms actuated by an electric linear pull motor. At least Deere thought enough to make it quick to remove. 2 cotter pins and 1 electrical connection and we could at least keep using the loader in manual mode .

My impression operating the loader is that it feels long. I'm sure this has to do with how the operator sits almost over the rear wheels and quite low to the ground. Loader has nice visibility and the heater will cook you right out of the cab. The cab itself is well laid out, though tight for a tall person. Can't put seat back far enough to stretch my legs.

As for service, there are 17 grease zerks and they're all easy to get to once you know how to set the arms. Radiator package is tight and filling with chaff like all of the other compact loaders we've run out here. Fuel consumption is comparable to the 304H, 5 shifts of use for us, though I don't have an actual Gallons per hour number to share. I'll try to break that down sometime.

Otherwise, so far so good. We'll do our first oil change on it by the end of the week, see how that goes

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Thanks for the update
Update on the 304k. We've put 150 hours on it and the tool changer quick disconnect quit working tonight. As always, it did it right before grinding hay since that's the job we need to switch attachments frequently during. The tool carrier is a skid steer style and has manual locking arms actuated by an electric linear pull motor. At least Deere thought enough to make it quick to remove. 2 cotter pins and 1 electrical connection and we could at least keep using the loader in manual mode .

My impression operating the loader is that it feels long. I'm sure this has to do with how the operator sits almost over the rear wheels and quite low to the ground. Loader has nice visibility and the heater will cook you right out of the cab. The cab itself is well laid out, though tight for a tall person. Can't put seat back far enough to stretch my legs.

As for service, there are 17 grease zerks and they're all easy to get to once you know how to set the arms. Radiator package is tight and filling with chaff like all of the other compact loaders we've run out here. Fuel consumption is comparable to the 304H, 5 shifts of use for us, though I don't have an actual Gallons per hour number to share. I'll try to break that down sometime.

Otherwise, so far so good. We'll do our first oil change on it by the end of the week, see how that goes
. Keep us posted.

colson04

Motor tested fine. Only getting power to one side of wire connector. Checked fuses and relays, they were fine. We're guessing it's a wire harness issue, but it's been low priority for the week as were trying to get our lagoon pumped out this week. We can use the loader with the motor removed so we're getting by for now until we get some time to dig into it more.

colson04

Got some time this afternoon. Walked the harness from switch to motor and found it had been repaired before near motor. Removed tape and found the wire had pulled out of the butt splice. Put er together and away she goes. IMAG0327.jpg IMAG0327.jpg IMAG0326.jpg

Who puts a fuse panel behind a bolt on panel with no identification of what's beneath?! Loader didn't come with an owners manual and sales rep had no idea where it was located.
IMAG0325.jpg
Its behind the panel under the window. Took a lot of guessing and removing covers before we found it.