• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track Cleaning Tool

g_man

Occupation
Retired
It is the time of year I have to watch the weather. When I'm done for the day if it is going to freeze I clean the mud and woods debris out of the track chains. A real pain. I read on here about a tool made from a bent and flattened piece of pipe. It sounded good and I was going to make one. This summer I was doing some carpenter work. When I picked up my bar all I could think was this is a track cleaning tool. I used the bar a couple time so far this fall and it works good, way better than anything else I have used to clean the tracks. Both ends are useful.

TrackTool.jpg

gg

bhtn

I keep looking for something better than a "sharp shooter" shovel. Anything too wide or too long won't get in the places needed. The only problem I see with that tool is that it seems like I'd spend time on the ground and I'm opposed to that. :) Glad it worked for you. I'm still looking for anything better.

TXGOAT

You might cut the bar in two in the middle and weld each half to a four foot piece of 1" pipe to get better reach. Put a coupling in the pipe about a foot from the end with the bar in case you need to shorten it temporarily. You could cap the end of the pipe for safety and to use it as a rammer.

JD8875

I have a 3" trench spade. It is the best worst shovel in the world. It sucks for moving very much dirt but its great for digging in hard clay, cleaning out mini ex tracks, dozer tracks, CTLs, full size hoes.... I use it for everything!

John

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I like my carpenters bar because all I have to do to clean out the track chains before they freeze up is push the bar down thru the mud relief holes in the pads. I get good two handed leverage for a push and twist and it makes for fast work.

ol' Grump

I've got a little garden spade about 2 1/2' long that lives on my D4. .works like a champ for cleaning the snow, mud etc out of the track frames and under the top rollers.

pf/l

Occupation
Farmer/logger/heavy equipment op.
I use basically the exact same track shovel(otherwise known as a trenching spade around here) I never clean my rails themselves out but try to do a good job on the track frame and sprockets. I've got a shorter one that sits in the compartments on my hoe and a longer one that I leave on the cat.

nicky 68a

also heard it called a 'track spit',Donegal Lima or just plain old 'track spade'to me.

oldirt

I use a spade like nige showed, but I have broken the handle so I built one out of steel pipe and welded it onto the business end.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
We use those spades for digging razor clams. I usually use a wrecking bar to clean out the track frames. I've never heard of someone cleaning out the chains but think it is a good idea when working in freezing conditions.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
We use those spades for digging razor clams. I usually use a wrecking bar to clean out the track frames. I've never heard of someone cleaning out the chains but think it is a good idea when working in freezing conditions .

I can tell you this - By cleaning out the chains and keeping the pad holes open I don't get all of those nasty destructive sounding bangs coming out of the tracks the next morning when I start again.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can tell you this - By cleaning out the chains and keeping the pad holes open I don't get all of those nasty destructive sounding bangs coming out of the tracks the next morning when I start again.
Regarding your comment about pad holes - are you working in really muddy conditions..? If the answer is no then the holes in the shoes could be causing more problems than they solve.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I use the dozer to keep my logging trails in shape and open in the winter so soil conditions are variable. It is really snow that causes the problem when I let the pad holes freeze up with dirt or slush at night. This week, for instance, it snowed a little every night except one. The early sticky type snow. I think keeping the pad holes and rails cleaned out pays off by minimizing the track popping and banging in the snow. Once everything is froze solid and the snow is dry the tracks stay clean themselves. I park it up on some small logs to keep it from freezing to the ground.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
g_man;

You have new undercarriage. Might it be that there is little slop in your chain pins, and bushings? Your sprockets have gullets sized exactly to match the pins in the track chain. Any foreign matter at all in those gullets won't have room. I'll be alert to see how mine with a bit more wear behaves in snow. Mine doesn't have the holes in the track.

Willie

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And to us here in the states is a 'Sharpshooter. Have had one on every track tractor I have had, one on the Allis sits behind the seat.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Willie, if you work it in the snow you need the holes in the track pads 'cause the sprocket teeth will keep packing it in the rails 'til you can play a tune on the tracks which can severely damage the front idlers.
Mike

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
g_man has a near identical tractor with holes. My undercarriage is a mix of parts not exactly specified for my tractor. An expert mechanic/parts man says my undercarriage is from a TD8E or G. My shoes are 16" pitch 6.5". g_man's are 15" and 6". If that will factor, I don't yet know. I haven't run it much in soft wet snow. He reports lots of snapping noise in warm snow. If needed, I'll cut holes. Do they make a lot of difference?

I hope to use it most when there is either no snow, or very cold snow. Mostly in winter to get out a few logs, and some wood.

Willie