• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tow package?

Brandt

Does the tow package on older Galion and Hyster compactors work?? I'd like a double drum but don't have a low enough trailer to get it on. Do the older units with the tow package work or was it just a marketing ploy?? I'm going to use this 50 hours a year and can't justify $10K for a rubber/steel machine.

Tow package like here:
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/9172595/1987-galion-s4-6b

Does an axle come down to support the weight of the machine?

mitch504

The state of SC had a bunch of them, they seemed to work real well going 20 miles or so at 45 mph behind an F600. I don't know how they'd do farther, faster, or with a smaller truck.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
TXDOT ran them for the smaller jobs. I would assume the design is sound as they were owned by several state DOT divisions.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
ALDOT had them as well back in the eighties. Like Mitch said I would think they would work well at slow speeds.

Brandt

OK. Most of the time I will be going 10 miles or less and below 45 mph. The only time I would need to go further is if it had to go in for major repair. In that case I would pull/push it on to a trailer.

Low Flyer

I know this thread is about 9 months old, but I wanted to answer with 1st hand knowledge. The tow packages absolutely do work. I know because I just bought a Galion S4-6A and that is how we towed it. The only thing that was an issue for me was that the roller's hitch fit loosely in my pintle hitch. If I was going to tow it again I'd modify the roller's hitch to be a better fit in my truck's pintle hitch. And by the way, I towed it with a 1 ton dually 4x4, and never exceeded 25mph. The stickers on the roller say to never exceed 35 without ballast. There is a similar warning for towing with ballast, but can't remember what it is. I seem to think that it says never exceed 5mph with ballast, but I'd have to check it again to be sure.

I know this is late, but I hope it helps.

Gil