• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torch Trolley

hetkind

I finally got tired of my converted hand truck as a torch cart. Cheap, commercial torch carts are not designed for common propane bottles. A discussion on cheap, salvage, popcorn cart wheels led to better wheels from Northern Tool and a custom design. Steel was purchased locally, as was chain and S hooks. Square tubing for hammer holders was in stock. All welded construction, no nuts, bolts or screws. Wheels are held on by spring pins and washers, axle is 3/4" round. Steel was $220 with about 1/4 left over, wheels were $70 and have a 300lb capacity each, on ball bearings, using standard 26x2.125 bicycle tires.

Notice the old hand truck that was the former torch cart, and my current wife thought that Torch Trolley sounded better since it was using British Style Pram wheels.

And a new pair of Dickies Overalls for the photo shoot. (Disclaimer, ex-wife works at Dickies and does inside sales, but these came from a discount tool store outside Knoxville, next to the Great Smokey Knife Works.)

Howard

Attachments

• tt1.jpg
    tt1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 295
  • tt2.jpg
    tt2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 296

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Thats something I have been planning on doing and never get around to it. I love the big hammer on board. If it don't cut clean, hit it harder.:bash:bash:bash

DIYDAVE

For years, I used a converted dolly, for the ole red wrench. Then I found one, at a farm auction, has like 30" steel tired wheels, a real antique I think I paid like $5 for it. Are those air tires, or semi pneumatic? I'd hate to be around if a drop of slag hit an air tire, on the torch cart, might make a LOUD noise...

hetkind

They are regular pneumatic tires, but run flat airless tubes are readily available...and at 45 psi, they will barely hiss when they fail.

When they fail, they will get run flats.

Howard

hetkind

The 68 Dodge Utiline is still in service, with the ORIGINAL engine...318/727 with 3.90 suregrip gears. I did a mechanical restoration about a decade ago. However, during the work it got a holley carb to replace the worn out BBD (and no good BBD bodies out there), headers to replace the cracked exhaust manifold to include replacing the original exhaust crossover piece that went under the water pump, stage 1 intake, summit house brand to replace the original intake that leaked at the carb gasket, plus the usual engine, transmission and suspension work.

td25c

Nice work on the "Torch Trolley " Howard !

Most torch carts I've been around look like an accident waiting to happen being unstable on the running gear when working outdoors .

Yours looks built & engineered pretty good :thumbsup

Only thing I might add to is a lift eye and cage for the tanks so when ya need to set it in the back of the M37B for a site job .;)

td25c

Are those air tires, or semi pneumatic? I'd hate to be around if a drop of slag hit an air tire, on the torch cart, might make a LOUD noise...

The tires wont make near the noise as hetkind when a " Hot cherry " burns though the new Dickie overalls .:eek::D

I know as made that noise myself a few times .:)

hetkind

The tires wont make near the noise as hetkind when a " Hot cherry " burns though the new Dickie overalls .:eek::D

I know as made that noise myself a few times .:)

Oh, I think I first learned about that noise, about 35 plus years ago while working on the brakes of a International S1800 series school bus with the hydraulic Lockhead brakes...as I was burning off a brake adjustor assembly, a cherry of hot metal bounced, went though my mechanics pants and lodged under the tounge of my ankle high steel toe and proceeded to burn it's way down to the flesh.

As for new overalls, they are too nice yet to destroy while under a truck...

Howard

hetkind

Thanks to all for the positive comments on the project...

I was inspired by the torch cart at a scrap yard/recycling/steel yard I used to visit in Amarillo, Texas, on the old Route 66, about 25 years ago.

One cold and windy Saturday morning, after unloading my empty cans and bottles, I needed some new metal for a vise stand and I was told a worker would assist me with a cutting torch as I was pointed towards a four wheel cart and the entrance to the metal yard. Out comes an Amazon women, about six feet tall and almost that much around, dragging, easily with one hand, over the broken ground of a scrap yard. a torch cart. One of the bottles was a 100lb propane cylinder, the other side, a 5 foot tall, two feet in diameter, liquid oxygen dewar, and judging by the girth, about 150 gallons. The wheels were well set back from the cart frame on a five lug trailer hubs and 7.00x15 light truck tires.

The rig must have weighted over 500lbs. Once parked, the wheels would come right off the ground giving excellent stability. I was impressed. This cart, is my interpretation of that massive, heavy duty setup. It would take me a LONG time to go through 150 gallons of liquid oxygen. Did I mention there was a heat exchange hanging off the dewar to covert the liquid oxygen to gas? She followed me around the yard as I would buy 3 feet of this, and 5 feet of that, tossing, with a gloved hand, chunks of hot steel in the wagon I was pulling:)

I could only imagine what a date with the gal running the torch would be like...One hug from a gal like that could break a man in two!

Howard

Nice work on the "Torch Trolley " Howard !

Most torch carts I've been around look like an accident waiting to happen being unstable on the running gear when working outdoors .

Yours looks built & engineered pretty good :thumbsup

Only thing I might add to is a lift eye and cage for the tanks so when ya need to set it in the back of the M37B for a site job .;)

DIYDAVE

Thanks to all for the positive comments on the project...

I was inspired by the torch cart at a scrap yard/recycling/steel yard I used to visit in Amarillo, Texas, on the old Route 66, about 25 years ago.

One cold and windy Saturday morning, after unloading my empty cans and bottles, I needed some new metal for a vise stand and I was told a worker would assist me with a cutting torch as I was pointed towards a four wheel cart and the entrance to the metal yard. Out comes an Amazon women, about six feet tall and almost that much around, dragging, easily with one hand, over the broken ground of a scrap yard. a torch cart. One of the bottles was a 100lb propane cylinder, the other side, a 5 foot tall, two feet in diameter, liquid oxygen dewar, and judging by the girth, about 150 gallons. The wheels were well set back from the cart frame on a five lug trailer hubs and 7.00x15 light truck tires.

The rig must have weighted over 500lbs. Once parked, the wheels would come right off the ground giving excellent stability. I was impressed. This cart, is my interpretation of that massive, heavy duty setup. It would take me a LONG time to go through 150 gallons of liquid oxygen. Did I mention there was a heat exchange hanging off the dewar to covert the liquid oxygen to gas? She followed me around the yard as I would buy 3 feet of this, and 5 feet of that, tossing, with a gloved hand, chunks of hot steel in the wagon I was pulling:)

I could only imagine what a date with the gal running the torch would be like...One hug from a gal like that could break a man in two!

Howard

AKA Wal Mart girl...:drinkup