• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Topcon RT-5SW?

Jfarris

I have used a Trimble 722 for the last 8 years and need to buy a new dual slope laser. Does anyone have any opinions on this laser from Topcon?

thebaz

I have a Topcon RL-100 2S and really like it. Has 800m range and a remote control so you can set the grade away from the laser.
It is very easy to setup and I have had great experience with Topcon reliability. The RT-5SW is Topcon's top of the range, so I imagine it would be even better than the RL-100, it is certainly bigger in size.

t_dirt

I used an older RT-5SA for years and It ran great, stable, good battery life, super accurate. Now i sell them and see how often come in for service, Hardly ever!!! The last few were due to user error!!! Dropped!!! They now have a 5 year warranty!!!! Dollar for dollar i think they are a winner!!

HelimanZ06

Topcon No Longer Supports the RT-5SA

I used an older RT-5SA for years and It ran great, stable, good battery life, super accurate. Now i sell them and see how often come in for service, Hardly ever!!! The last few were due to user error!!! Dropped!!! They now have a 5 year warranty!!!! Dollar for dollar i think they are a winner!!

While Topcon's RT-5SW is a great laser and the RT-5SA used to be, be aware that Topcon no longer supports or repairs the RT-5SA. None of their dealers, the California location, nor their Japan location repairs the unit if it does not function. Trust me, I know. I now have a very expensive boat anchor. The up side is that the battery pack holder does work on the RT-5SW. :D

If you need a laser that can shoot 2,000 or more feet with amazing accuracy the RT-5SW is your only choice.

TheClaw

I have been using an RL-100 1S. It is great, and all rugged as heck. It does everything I need it to do. Can not say I have much experience with the rest of their line.

Jfarris

While Topcon's RT-5SW is a great laser and the RT-5SA used to be, be aware that Topcon no longer supports or repairs the RT-5SA. None of their dealers, the California location, nor their Japan location repairs the unit if it does not function. Trust me, I know. I now have a very expensive boat anchor. The up side is that the battery pack holder does work on the RT-5SW. :D

If you need a laser that can shoot 2,000 or more feet with amazing accuracy the RT-5SW is your only choice.

If they no longer repair them...why do they offer a 5 year warranty? I asked my local dealer and they said that if there was a problem that they would repair it...

HelimanZ06

If they no longer repair them...why do they offer a 5 year warranty? I asked my local dealer and they said that if there was a problem that they would repair it...

We are talking about two different lasers. The RT-5SW is currently made and Topcon does offers a 5 year warranty on the unit.

The unit that the RT-5SW replaced is the RT-5SA. Topcon no longer supports that product. If your dealer says they do, he is in error.

Shimmy1

I know this is an old thread but hoping someone out here can add anything. I used a RT-5W last summer. Borrowed a neighbor farmers for a few weeks then found a new one. New one lasted week and drive gear stripped off. Took it back got second one. 1 week that one failed. Bearings for beacon went to hell I assume since it was making all sorts of awful noises and stopping and starting. Long story short got repaired one back this spring (had to go to Japan I guess) and it lasted one day. Now have Spectra GL722. Is there a laser that has more range than the 722? I like it just would be nice to get back to that 2000' mark.