• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tool help

chevyguy14

Hi guys I'm going to college this fall for heavy equipment operation and maintenance and I'm going to be needing some tools. I got most of my stuff picked out other than the sockets because I'm stuck on 6 point vs 12 point? Which would you guys recommend? Do you see a lot of 12 point bolts in the diesel world where I would need 12 point sockets or would I be better off with 6 point so I don't round off the bolt? I need 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets in metric/standard and shallow/deep so maybe a mix of 6 and 12 point in each drive size would be good? Any help would be appreciated.

Also if you have any other tools that you really like or think a diesel tech should have could you let me know.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Honestly it is very rare I run into anything that requires a 12 point socket. I'm working on everything from small gas engines up to larger construction equipment. I do have about 50/50 mix of 6 and 12 point sockets and I honestly can't remember the last time I rounded off a bolt head with a 12 point.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I'm with 92U 3406 on rounding things.... can't remember the last time... of course that could be age related ;)

As for 12 points being rare... they might be but when you need one you need one! Have run into them on various drivelines, starters and a few other odds and ends.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
As for 12 points being rare... they might be but when you need one you need one! Have run into them on various drivelines, starters and a few other odds and ends.

This is very true, seems like more and more things come with the 12 point bolts. Might be an idea to get 12 points in the shallow sockets and 6 points in the deep. Or if you are also going to be getting impact sockets that would give you the six points when you needed them.

No matter what you have there is always going to be a time when you need something different. One of the joys of working on equipment.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You'll see 12 point on certain head bolts, tight clearance starter bolts etc. A good set of 1/2" 12 point impact will cover 99% of the 12 point stuff you come across. There will be the odd occasion a 1/2" socket won't physically fit and you'll need a 3/8 drive. Mine are GP and most of the 12 point haven't been used. Most common used are 1/2,9/16 and 3/4. At least the yellow iron I'm around on a regular basis.

First set of good deep and shallow 6 point impacts need to be 1/2" and a good set of 3/8, impact if you want but it's not necessary with them. I've got both but it's an accumulation over 20 years. It's fun to look at all the shiny stuff on the tool truck but Amazon has good stuff too, also napa does 30% off their tools before 9am the second Saturday of every month. I like their ratchets, pry bars and some other stuff.

Get good hammers, punches and pry bars fairly early in the process too. There's a nice set of punches Mahew has on Amazon that even include 4 bearing race punches. Good value and should last a long time. Just keep the dingleberries ground off them :)

Good luck!

Delmer

You guys must work on better equipment and not have gorillas as friends that expect you to help fix their screw ups. The six point socket is the only way to go when you get in trouble. That's what the impact sockets are for. The chrome ones are fine 12 point.

Another handy thing to get eventually is a set of the flex drive gear wrenches, they were just on sale at Maynerds for $30.

Wastepro

Occupation
Recycling
Delmers suggestion on flex drive gear wrenches is solid in my book. Great tools for many jobs. 6 points in impacts and 12 in crome is good in my experience as well. Have not rounded many bolts cause then it's way harder to get out! no gorilla arms here.

I have also found you can't have too many extensions of various sizes. I'll have four on to pull a bolt with ease at a distance vs trying to squeeze my way into an machine and knuckle a bolt loose.

Good luck in school, good career choice!

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
^^ X2 on the extensions :) I usually keep at least 6 feet of 1/2 extensions, a 36" a 24" a couple of 16/18's and various other shorter ones... it takes around 5 feet for late nineties ford E4OD trannys to do it with ease.

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Just don't get too excited and over-buy things, start with a basic set that you know you'll need, then build off that. Take notes daily of different tools you may need or had to borrow. Impact swivel sockets are a must. And 1/4" and 3/8" flexhead ratchets. I can take a photo of a speciality tool cart I made that holds tools I use 98% of the time. Everybody is different, like I prefer semi deep metric impacts.

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Yeah like he said a lot of 12pts I see are with engine work once you start pullin pans and covers off.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
All these suggestions are good. Have you check with the school? I would think a school with a good program would have a list of tools that they recommend for new students.

chevyguy14

Hey guys thanks for your replies I really appreciate it. I will definitely check out these suggestions.

As for a tool list the school did supply me with one but it was very basic, they didn't list if the sockets needed to be 6 or 12. After reading these replies I think I will get 12 point chrome sockets and 6 point impact. That way I will have both for when the need arises.

Also for tools I was thinking of going with Matco because they offer me a 60% off student discount. Have any of you guys used or heard anything good/bad about Matco?

Buickspec6231

I'm probably going to catch some grief for this, but oh well. When I started at a local Freightliner dealership I bought my impact sockets from Harbor Freight because it was all I could afford. They came in nice metal cases at the time too. Used them extensively with a half inch Ingersoll-Rand impact and never had an issue. Still have them today, 10 years later. I no longer use them commercially, but it got me in the game at a greatly discounted price. As far as the 6 vs 12 point question, I agree on a good set of chrome 12pts in all the common sizes. Especially the 1/4". Used 1/4" 12 point sockets on the square end of thread taps all the time. Can't always get the big t-handle where you need to work.

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
When it comes to sockets, I tend to stay with the cheaper sets. I use 1/2" drive 90% of the time and have a mixture of mastercraft, craftsman, and other automotive store brands. They've lasted me 8+ years, and the only time I need to replace them is when I loose them. For me, that's the big thing when it comes to sockets. I have a bad habit of leaving them behind, or dropping them into the abyss, so I just can't bring myself to by the expensive ones. For my 12 points I have a set of chrome 3/8" drive ones, and its always done me. I use them on driveshaft/u-joints and starters for the most part. I also have an SK 1/4 drive set, that has had many of the sockets replaced over the years, but I'm not sure I could live without it. Its come in handy in small places, and goes up to 1/2, and 15mm.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A bit of general tool etiquette advice. IF you're fortunate enough for a seasoned mechanic to let you borrow what you don't have for a specific task for God's sake don't loose it and damn sure bring it back clean. Also, some guys don't want you putting it back unless you know exactly where it goes and some still don't because the thought of somebody rooting around in their box is unsettling.....

Hopefully that saves you an a$$ chewing :)

Jonas302

I really like gearwrench brand tools not just the wrenches but sockets and other hand tools too decent tools at a good price Nothing wrong with matco all brands will have there ups and downs
I started school with a homemade wooden roll cabinet and some clearance craftsman sockets still have both 20 years later but only use the box for occasional tools
I tend to have more tools than most and spend less money I used to cringe watching the foolish purchases on the tool truck