• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Todays pick up

doublewide

Bought this from a guy near me. Six cylinder JD diesel. Guy said it weighed 6 tons when I first went to see it a year ago. This time he said he had no idea. Felt like more than 6 on the ride home. Vibrating function seems to work well, it was bouncing itself sideways across the yard. Battery was dead by the time I got back and had to pull it off the trailer with the backhoe.

Attachments

• CAM00673[1].jpg
    CAM00673[1].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 863
  • CAM00675[1].jpg
    CAM00675[1].jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 824

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice looking old roller. What's your plans for it?

doublewide

Just to maintain the lane at work for now, we'll see what the future brings. With those duel steel rollers it's not the easiest thing to load so don't think I'll be running around much with it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I bet it was a challenged to get it on that tag trailer, what did it take to get it loaded?

Couldn't get my trench roller up a folding tail Landoll, little bugger would make it 1/2 way and slide down. Ended up loading with a Lull on site.

doublewide

The guy I bought it from thought he was going to just drive it up, half way there he started going sideways. Back down and laid some rubber on the ramps and made another run, no good. Pushed it up with the backhoe. Here's me pulling it off with my 410B.

Attachments

• CAM00676[1].jpg
    CAM00676[1].jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 620
  • CAM00677[1].jpg
    CAM00677[1].jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 618

doublewide

Pulled the 14 year old battery out yesterday and picked up a new one at Interstate. Pulled both battery cables and will make up some new ones out of some 2/0 pre tined that I have. The old B- ran to the ‘sheet metal’, in this case ¼” plate, will probably leave that and add a second directly to the engine block. Throttle cable was a bit rusted so I pulled that out and stuffed it in a 5 gallon can of used crankcase oil. Opened the drain on the water separation filter and got a slow trickle of brown crud so I pulled the filter,..what the H#!! is this cr@P! Looks like I might be dropping the fuel tank out of this thing.

Attachments

• CAM00681[1].jpg
    CAM00681[1].jpg
    20 KB · Views: 554
  • CAM00680[1].jpg
    CAM00680[1].jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 555

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Looks like algae in the tank. I would flush the tank, add algaecide and get some extra filters.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That's what I was thinking, any recommendations on algaecide?

I've use the Power Service products algaecide once when I had an issue with a T250 skid, not as bad as this but it clogged up the entire fuel system. We drained the tank, flushed it, changed the filters and followed the instructions. A filter or two later and we didn't have any other issues.

Depending on how much algae is in there it may take a few flushings and filters. It's fixable though.

doublewide

Drained the contents of the tank today. Ran it through a nylon paint strainer into clean 5 gallon buckets. Got about 12 gallons out. Flowed real well, poured it back into the tank through a screened funnel three times and came up with very little. Just a little more slime, nothing magnetic (no rust). I think the water separation filter might of caught it all. Pulled all the fuel lines off and ordered a new filter mounting base and three more filters.

Attachments

• CAM00690[1].jpg
    CAM00690[1].jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 459

doublewide

Ok, so I totally bypassed the existing old canister style filters, and I moved the primary water separation/fuel filter base up closer to the fuel tank and installed a new filter Wix # 33123. Added a second filter mounting base Wix # 24770 and a 2 micron fuel filter Wix # 33528. I removed and cleaned out all the fuel lines up to the injector pump and reinstalled. I made up new battery cables and installed a new battery. Re installed the throttle cable and reworked it so it was mounted with a better angle to the throttle lever and at the other end to the injector pump. Added 5 gallons of fresh fuel. Filled the power steering reservoir. Couldn’t find any of the Bio Kleen at the store on the way in but did get some of this;

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/clear-diesel-fuel-tank-cleaner/

And fired it up! Very happy. Engine sounded great, controls all worked as they should, steered well and vibrating function was excellent, only had three fillings drop out of my teeth! (hit the water separation filter with the front roller at full steering lock, guess I’ll be moving that again)

Attachments

• CAM00684[1].jpg
    CAM00684[1].jpg
    28 KB · Views: 425
  • CAM00695[1].jpg
    CAM00695[1].jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 423
  • CAM00696[1].jpg
    CAM00696[1].jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 419

doublewide

Unit Id tag. Essick, model number VR54RD, Serial number 62645926. Haven't found any info on these units online. Going to try and call Multiquip on Monday.

Attachments

• CAM00691[1].jpg
    CAM00691[1].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 365

doublewide

Early last spring I pulled the steering cylinder out and had it rebuilt along with two new hydraulic hoses.

Attachments

• CAM01280[1].jpg
    CAM01280[1].jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 154

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
That art-deco girl looks a lot like a Galion 10 ton roller. I never saw a vib. version of a Galion but they were rumored to be made. Did you ever find out where it was made?

doublewide

Didn’t have much use for it during the summer, so it just sat. Became a good home for every wasp, yellow jacket and white faced hornet around! Couldn’t even get close to that thing. When fall came around guess what?, yeah. It wouldn’t start. So, after one over zealous attempt to get it going I decided it was time for some more work.

Pulled out the old canister fuel filters that I had by passed last year and replaced the dry rotted fuel lines.

Attachments

• CAM01279[1].jpg
    CAM01279[1].jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 117