• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

To knuckle or not?

Jatreecompany

I know it’s been discussed previously. I’m just looking for fresh info and opinions. Knuckleboom or crane on mechanics truck? Why? Pics would be nice. Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've never used a knuckleboom in a mechanic truck capacity. I have a friend that swears by his. He pushes on stuff, pulls on it, can twist, drag or whatever he wants to. I'm not used to how they operate so I'm naturally drawn to traditional style. A simple solution is both :)

When it comes time to pick a crane for my KW it may boil down to capacity and price. Sometimes a knuckle is a little more mounting friendly depending on the truck your installing it on. Chart wise a knuckleboom often has a better chart.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
I personally really liked my truck with the cobra 6600 maxilift crane. Really nice crane to run, and really good lifting power.
http://www.cobra-cranes.com/detail_product/6600br38600_ft_lb_52_tm/index.htm

Knuckle booms tend to take up more space than a traditional crane, so you will be losing box space on your truck. There is corner mount options available, for some models. The knuckle boom cranes also tend to weigh a more than a traditional crane (when comparing similar lifting capacities) The push/pull/turning force of the knuckle boom is the big selling feature for me. They are a little clumsy to operate, but you would likely get use to the controls
https://www.palfinger.com/en-US/usa/products/knuckle-boom-cranes/PK+5$-d-$001+SLD+1_S003-EK-B

corner mounted:
https://www.palfinger.com/en-US/usa/products/knuckle-boom-cranes/PK11001CM

I know I would miss the smooth up and down of the winch in some circumstances, but overall the knuckle boom is more versatile. Assuming you have the space, weight capacity, and budget, the knuckle boom seems like the better way to go.

Last edited:

JD955SC

I think in the last thread someone pointed out you could have a winch on the knuckleboom for those timed you wanted the functionality of a crane cable

Around here cranes dominate. One of the guys I worked with used to run an independent welding truck and he loved his knuckleboom but otherwise you don't see many on mechanics trucks. I'd love to try one though

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worked on utility company work trucks with knuckle booms, squirt booms, derricks and conventional cranes, knuckles have their place and as noted can accomplish some odd tasks with one but they are heavy as opposed to a fixed stick even opposed to a squirt boom but they can do some really impressive work when called upon. Have to have the chassis capacity, the bracing and outriggers then a defined need for one as for reach/angles/capacity.

hvy 1ton

I keep seeing BNSF MOW trucks with a winch mounted on the third member of the knuckle. Couple of them are mounted in the back right corner, didn't know palfinger had a special model for that, i'll have to try for a closer look. @simonsrplant had a pretty capable knuckle on a 550 few years back, not sure if he's still running it. Link to post https://goo.gl/1fHTHn

rwoody

Occupation
Heavy Repair/Sales/Military Surplus
i got a new 12000lb knuckle off a marine military truck i would sell

we dont want to run a 3 axle it weighs 7000 lb
would love to use this big boy but too much change for our program

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Kind of like the Digger Derrick booms on line trucks, would be a great add to the farm, IF I could figure how to move them in soft ground!!

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I guess it’s a bit late to comment but I’ll chime in...
As mentioned I have a PM knuckle on my F550.
Would never go back.
The pros and cons have been mentioned too, takes up considerably more space and is hefty. (My front axle is always close yet tears have plenty spare)
But the flexibility and reach is awesome... and once a guy gets used to what you can and can’t do... it becomes way more than just a crane.

Attachments

• 23FD4F2C-ABCE-48A2-B443-003407311F7E.jpeg
    23FD4F2C-ABCE-48A2-B443-003407311F7E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 72135E6E-D37E-466B-A292-AC7D71D38CB4.jpeg
    72135E6E-D37E-466B-A292-AC7D71D38CB4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69