1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tie downs who needs stinkin tie downs

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by maddog, Apr 28, 2016.

1. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    True. Now all the fuel is low sulfur the only difference between road and off-road fuel is the dye. That wasn't the case years ago.

2. movindirt

movindirt Senior Member

So can Europeans run off road in their tractors that they use to tow their excavators down the highway? :D The price difference here for on road and off road is almost $.50 a gallon.

3. oldtanker

oldtanker Senior Member

Ret
    Up here in this country almost every shop of any size has an EPA approved waste oil furnace. I would bet it wound up in the storage tank that feeds it. So they charge the fee for what amounts to a little paper work to certify that the tank was drained then they burn it legally to heat the shop in the winter along with waste
    oil.

Use no less then 15% ethanol or have it tested and make them get fines and pay for a "disposal fee"? Why on earth would you do that? mileage will drop for the simple reason that Gas has a higher BTU output than ethanol which would cause you to burn more fuel to get the same results. Real funny part of ethanol is they built a plant not too far from me not 10 years ago THAT USES COAL as a fuel source to make that stuff.

Rick

4. Moonlite

Moonlite Senior Member

One of my customers hauls his skid steer in his dump trailer unchained. He says it ain't coming out. I told him what about when the trailer tires are facing up instead of on the ground..

5. Andrew_D

Andrew_D Senior Member

Yup, same stuff here too. The fuel haulers add dye to it with an injection system when they fill their tankers.

Should note though, that up here, "F" plated (Farm & Fish) vehicles ARE allowed to run dyed gas/diesel on the road.

Andrew

6. maddog

maddog Senior Member

You are correct it is about the tax. I Just don't really care if billybob is running off road in his truck. I know that probably is not the proper guberment way to look at it but I'm sick of all these lame D*&^ taxes being given to politicians just so they can line their pockets!

7. maddog

maddog Senior Member

So my next question is it being sold twice?

I hope you realize I was being sarcastic.

Yep, suppose to save the planet by using more resources :confused:

8. maddog

maddog Senior Member

I would have to disagree with your point, seen many farmers using off road on the highway, and no not for farm chores.

exactly my feelings. I don't understand why some get so bent out of shape when they hear about another using off road fuel. Maybe they like paying taxes for nothing in return?

9. maddog

maddog Senior Member

Wasn't it originally high sulfur was consider off road, and the reason for off or on road diesel was to slowly start the conversion to ULSD?

10. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

The use of ethanol as motor fuel is really nothing more than a massive transfer of wealth from the worker (us) to agribusiness (them) and of course the Bush/Cheney friendly oil companies...

Howard

11. norite

norite Senior Member

I may be wrong but around here I was under the impression that in the past, on road diesel was clear and off road was dyed, but the fuel was otherwise identical, and had a fairly high sulfur content which aided the lubricating quality of the fuel. The difference was using #2 heating oil, which had an even higher sulfur content. I remember reading a brochure for Cat equipment back in the 70's that said their engines were designed for #2 and there was no need to use the more expensive diesel fuel.

Now here in Ontario all diesel fuel is ultra low sulfer content and the only difference is the dye.

Got pulled over a couple of years ago and they dipped the tank in my p/u. Glad I had never put colored fuel in that truck as the fines and assessed back road tax would be very high. Officer was very courteous, said there are only a few officers to check fuel for the whole province. I never thought they would stop me in a p/u but apparently it was because I had a 100 g transfer tank and a pump which caught their interest.

12. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

In my area, the difference is 7 cents per gallon difference, on the off-road I pay sales tax of 9.5%, on the on-road, I pay the road use tax of 5 cents a gallon.

Not highly significant for my use!

Howard

13. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Its 40 cents a gallon difference at home and still not worth it.

14. oldtanker

oldtanker Senior Member

Ret
    That's interesting that EPA mandated ethanol use was mandated BEFORE Bush/Cheney. But we all know it was their fault. Their fault that King George just didn't grant the US independence without a fight. Their fault that we fought them again in 1812. Their fault again that the Civil War broke out. Their fault again that we got involved in WWI. Their fault the stock market crashed in 1929. Their fault again that welfare started while Roosevelt was in office. Their fault the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Their fault that North Korea attacked the south. Viet Nam was their fault too I guess. I guess they started the EPA and OSHA too. Yep all their fault!

You'd have to drive a lot of miles to pay for using off road on road is caught!

Rick

15. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

My fuel dealer is a crotchety old SOB. He's the biggest property owner in Manchester, unlike Abe Lincoln, he grew up in a 1 room tar paper shack. He's no encyclopedia, but he's plenty smart enough to be rich. I asked him last winter about diesel fuel. His answer was that #2 home heating fuel, and summer off road diesel come from the same tank, and truck. In winter off road is cut with kerosene, adding cost, and reducing power. On road is certified to be meeting a lower level of sulfur. My now deceased sister ran the office for his biggest competitor. Her take was several years ago, that on road fuel had 5% fewer BTUs than off road. Does this mean less power, or more consumption? I don't know. I'd guess you have to turn up injector pressure in old engines to match horsepower. New computer controlled injection systems are a mystery to me. I believe that either you need more money, or less power with on road before factoring tax.

Willie

16. Wastepro

Wastepro Active Member

Recycling