• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
This is a TY-90 (on Skagit T-90 Trlr) that was built early on and sold new to Griffey Logging in Oregon around 1986. I have the S/N around here someplace.....cant find it.
Things didn't work out and Ross had the yarder back by 1989, so it was repainted and sold to Jensen and Grove of Woodland WA that same year. J&G used it on Elk Mountain for Weyerhaeuser for the next 3 years or so straight, never moved off that hill. I took pics of it there on Elk Mountain in 1990 on a setting directly above Coweeman Lake- and got some fantastic pics showing both lake and yarder above- trouble is I cannot find them right this second. Loading on that landing was a Link-Belt LS98TL line machine (wood was big) and that newer yarder sure looked funny with the old shovel loading.

Herb Jensen and Rollie Grove decided in 1992 that they were done logging, and this machine was sold to Hamilton Logging and worked on the Olympic Peninsula for Hamilton, along with a second TY-90 they owned.

Hamilton slowed down a bit in the mid 90's, and Randy Wallace of Toledo bought the machine for dredging rock in a pit near the Cowlitz River. I believe the machine is still there, and for sale. JeremyM70 has all that contact info.

First 2 pics taken in 1989 at Jensen & Grove shop, before they used it.
Next 3 taken at Wallace in Toledo in 2006.

I'd love to see pictures of the Elk Mt landing, about 15 years ago I spent a bit of time packing batteries, antennas, and repeaters up the rocky path up to the top of that mountain. Wish I could find my pictures, awesome view from up there. I have a picture of the serial # tag from this TY-90, but it's from a crappy camera phone and I can't quite read it. Cool history, my old neighbor was a mechanic for Jensen and Grove back in the 80's.

Wallace has a TY80, the TY90 and a BU739 for sale and I do have his contact info if needed. He is currently running a Madill 171. I got a picture of it from a distance, but no close ups as it was dredging.

Last edited:

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I'd love to see pictures of the Elk Mt landing, about 15 years ago I spent a bit of time packing batteries, antennas, and repeaters up the rocky path up to the top of that mountain. Wish I could find my pictures, awesome view from up there. I have a picture of the serial # tag from this TY-90, but it's from a crappy camera phone and I can't quite read it. Cool history, my old neighbor was a mechanic for Jensen and Grove back in the 80's.

Wallace has a TY80, the TY90 and a BU739 for sale and I do have his contact info if needed. He is currently running a Madill 171. I got a picture of it from a distance, but no close ups as it was dredging.

I have a bunch of pics from Elk Mountain. I had a crew working there in 1993/94, and Dahlgren's from Forks were in there too, right near us and working for the same outfit. I spent alot of time around there for a couple of years.

I have all of the original Thunderbird build lists, in Longview at my home there. Coming up with all that info (and the Elk Mtn pics) just means a quick trip down there.

The Wallace yarders:

Skagit BU739 was bought new by Dan Sandy of Rochester Wa, and sold by DaPaul Inc (one of Dan Sandy's companies) to Wallace in 1994. McPaul Machine shortened the tower from 110' down to 70' for dredging.

Thunderbird TY-80 (a highlead 80, not slackline) built new for Weyerhaeuser Raymond WA and purchased by Wallace in 2003.

Thunderbird TY-90, well you know the history (see above).

Madill 171 is new to Wallace, but no doubt a machine we have pics of already.

I have alot of Jensen & Grove and Ben Thomas pics in a box in Longview too.

Stay tuned, I'll scan another round of T-Bird pics this weekend I suppose.
Did I mention I hate scanning?:Banghead:bash

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Thunderbird TY-90 S/N 9069.

Thunderbird TY-90 S/N 9069.

Built new for MacMillan Bloedel and delivered 5-6-1991 to MB at Sayward BC, according to the Thunderbird build records. Sent to BC as the loose hoist only, it was mounted onto a Skagit T-100 SP carrier that had been rebuilt in the MacBlo shops.

This machine was painted MB colors in the Ross shops (MB purchased several Thunderbird machines, and most were painted MB colors new at the factory).

Due to the downhill-style logging on BC, this yarder was also equipped with a larger eaton water brake on the haulback drum for downhill snubbing. It was the only TY-90 built set up like this.

In 1999, the yarder was purchased by Jerry DeBriae at Cathlamet Wa, moved from BC to McPaul Machine in Chehalis WA where it was serviced as needed and painted the tan TB colors.

It is still in service with DeBriae Logging.

Pics 1 and 2: In Chehalis, waiting for service work and paint.
Pics 3-5: At rest at the old Crown Zellerbach Cathlamet shops, which are currently occupied by Debriae Logging.

Attachments

• 5-27-2010 8;58;56 PMa.jpg
    5-27-2010 8;58;56 PMa.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 4,650
  • 5-27-2010 8;58;56 PMb.jpg
    5-27-2010 8;58;56 PMb.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 4,628
  • 5-27-2010 8;58;56 PMc.jpg
    5-27-2010 8;58;56 PMc.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 4,674
  • 5-27-2010 9;06;35 PMa.jpg
    5-27-2010 9;06;35 PMa.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 4,648
  • 5-27-2010 9;06;35 PMc.jpg
    5-27-2010 9;06;35 PMc.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4,650

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Same machine again, TY-90 S/N 9069.

Different angles.

Attachments

• 5-27-2010 9;58;07 PMa.jpg
    5-27-2010 9;58;07 PMa.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4,570
  • 5-27-2010 9;58;07 PMb.jpg
    5-27-2010 9;58;07 PMb.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 4,537
  • 5-27-2010 9;06;35 PMb.jpg
    5-27-2010 9;06;35 PMb.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4,596
  • 5-27-2010 9;58;07 PMc.jpg
    5-27-2010 9;58;07 PMc.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 4,495

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Same machine again, TY-90 S/N 9069.

Different angles.
More pictures of it at rest last year at DeBriae's yard along with some of it's brothers and sisters:D

Attachments

• TY90-1.jpg
    TY90-1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4,424
  • skagit plate.jpg
    skagit plate.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4,461
  • TY90 plate.jpg
    TY90 plate.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 4,420

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
I have some brochures/spec sheets in pdf-format, if someone should be interested I'll e-mail them

TorkelH, Thanks for your great offer:) Do you have any from the 60's? As you might know I build models in scale 1/87(HO) and I would like to build a model of some kind of loader to my logging trucks. I am not sure what kind of equipment they used in BC(Vancouver Island) in the 60's. I think grapple yarders were introduced in the 60's:eek:.
Pix shows one of my Hayes HDX models.

Attachments

• IMG_6531.jpg
    IMG_6531.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,760

trakloader

TorkelH, Thanks for your great offer:) Do you have any from the 60's? As you might know I build models in scale 1/87(HO) and I would like to build a model of some kind of loader to my logging trucks. I am not sure what kind of equipment they used in BC(Vancouver Island) in the 60's. I think grapple yarders were introduced in the 60's:eek:.

1960's was before T-Bird. Washington TL-15 and TL-6 Trakloaders were very common on the Island in that period. Also some Skagit 555's, and the Americans (Cypress) were starting to become popular. Lots of old Northwest Model 6's, Limas, etc. that were converted to load logs. Some Bucyrus-Erie loaders, too, that at first glance looked like Americans.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
1960's was before T-Bird. Washington TL-15 and TL-6 Trakloaders were very common on the Island in that period. Also some Skagit 555's, and the Americans (Cypress) were starting to become popular. Lots of old Northwest Model 6's, Limas, etc. that were converted to load logs. Some Bucyrus-Erie loaders, too, that at first glance looked like Americans.
Trakloader, thank you for your great information. I hope to track a few of those vintage trakloaders at The Island this summer and get some pix and measurements. I have seen a lot of old equipment in Campbell River area and further north on The Island. But I wasn't curious but HE site has gain my curiosity for that kind of equipment.Thanks:)

wellywood

Really enjoying the posts and photos of the Thunderbird machines.

My son and I are running a TMY 50 here in New Zealand, just across the valley another contractor runs a TMY 45 and a TMY 70, and in the next valley over we have another crew running a TSY 225.

A lot of Thunderbird haulers (yarders) here, as well as Madill, Washington, Sgagit etc, but only a few track loaders ever made it here.

I'm new to this site, but as soon as I'm allowed I'll post some pics for you all.

Contract Logger, if I give you the serial number of my machine, maybe you can tell me it's history before it reached our shores?

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
I have some brochures/spec sheets in pdf-format, if someone should be interested I'll e-mail them

I would definitely be interested in them, PM me and I can give you my email. I have missed this site greatly during it absence!

Thanks!

furpo

Here are a couple pics of the PSY-200 swing yarders. They were painted blue-and-yellow and blue-and-white in the beginnings. Most have been repainted tan by now.

Hi there Contract Logger

The first machine pictured is a New Zealand machine. 7 of these where shipped down here of which I understand 5 are still working. I opperate #10532. I would like to find out more about this machine and also the PSY-200 in general.

I'll post pictures when I get the privilages.

Cheers

TorkelH

Brochures

Sorry mr, I have mostly what you can see in the picture, from the 90's. I think ContractLogger or Trakloader is the men that can be helpful regarding to that, and CL's pictures here should give you a pretty good view of older loaders in Canada.

JDOFMEMI

What was not standard on this carrier was the steering axles- most of the Skagit T-90 and T-100 machines used Schuller steering axles with super-single float tires on wheels with a Budd 10-hole hub.

This particular machine had the big Anderson-Bolling axles installed- the axles used under the T-110 and T-110HD Skagit SP units. These used Dayton-style hubs and dual tires- bigger, heavier, and much more reliable. Each wheel/tire ran on its own bearings which allowed 2 dual tires side-by-side to rotate at different speeds- a huge deal on the big heavy yarders such as a BU-98, BU-99, or BU-199. Especially when turning sharp corners- the weight on the dual combo would be to much to allow scuffing and wheel studs would shear right off prior to this. This became a popular conversion for Skagit T-100 SP owners with bigger hoists such as the 739's.......

So, I looked at this and it looks like a great solution to what had to be a troubling problem at the time, but when I look closer, I wonder how the brakes work on it. Do they only apply to the inside tire of the pair, or is there some way for the brakes to function on both?

By the way, I am really enjoying all of your logging posts. Very informative.

furpo

Psy-200

Here is a photo of the PSY-200 during a break in the rain the other day.

This machine was originally blue and white but has been repainted Thunderbird tan with TSY logos. I understand this machine was built in either 1980 or 81. It has been repowered with the 8V92t silver jimmy and runs a 6 speed trans. Hello line speed.

Attachments

• P1010088.jpg
    P1010088.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 3,461

Tomtj460

Tomtj460 here.Can you email me the brochures for the tmy 40 ty45, tmy 45 and tmy 50[if you have them].My email is davidn@acepia.net.au .I will reply through the email and send you some photos from logging we've done in Australia,regards,Tom.

TorkelH

The Madill 6250...

These pic's are all taken from the net back in 2001, when Anderson Logging Inc in Fort Bragg, Ca. published them there. I can not find these pictures anymore, and I hope Andersons forgive me to put them out here... It's also a tribute to Andersons that have been publishing pictures from their own operations on internet since late nineties!

Attachments

• Madill6250_1.jpg
    Madill6250_1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,176
  • Madill6250_2.jpg
    Madill6250_2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,090
  • Madill6250_3.jpg
    Madill6250_3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3,073
  • Madill6250_4.jpg
    Madill6250_4.jpg