• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

dirty4fun

Pretty pictures looks like rows toward the bottom of the one picture. Is that the tops and limbs are they left for erosion control? With no road along the ridge they must move the lower anchor point to be able to reach the trees for the yarder to pull up. Since never seen this in operation makes for some pretty silly questions, I know. Will have a better idea come summer time when I get to see this in action.

boardbysled

The ground down lower was disturbed because they grabbed what they could with ground based equipment (grapple cat and shovel). They will work radially around from the point the tower is at, moving their tail holds and rotating the tower to keep in lead.

dirty4fun

Thanks that cleared one more thing. Kind of thought they had to move the tail hold around, but looking at the pictures and seeing the size of the area and to get the logs from where the picture was taken to the yarder looked like it would be kind of tough to move a tail hold up to that point. It sure will be interesting to see first hand and oh am I ever looking forward to it.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Thanks that cleared one more thing. Kind of thought they had to move the tail hold around, but looking at the pictures and seeing the size of the area and to get the logs from where the picture was taken to the yarder looked like it would be kind of tough to move a tail hold up to that point. It sure will be interesting to see first hand and oh am I ever looking forward to it.

Thinking about a permanent move to the PNW, or just a visit?

dirty4fun

Going to start with a visit, and see what it is all about. I sold my house on Christmas Eve, thou still have a shop to keep my junk in. Seeing all the pictures of the machines and the country has my interests peaked. Old enough I should retire, but enjoy working. Going to be different this year, cutting back on work and adding a lot of enjoyment of sight seeing. I have been very lucky always having more work than I could do, so will be hard to tell some people no this year.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Stop bt Madsen's in Chehalis. Probably the biggest saw shop in that area. Harbor Saw in Aberdeen is smaller, but neat. Pick up a used PNW 066 for the trip home. Stewart's meat Shop in Yelm (southeast of Olympia) has some great smoked salmon, beef jerky, and some killer smoked pepperoni. Go during fishing season, and get someone to take you fishing in the back woods for trout. Good stuff. I need to get back out that way myself.

dirty4fun

Thanks for the places to stop by and see. The smoked salmon sounds mighty good, but then so doesn't the other meats. Some trout fishing would make for a good time. First have to go to Florida, to my sister's place. She as a few carpenter jobs for me to do, and some warmer weather that I sure will enjoy. Kind of going from one corner of the US to the other. Sounds like it will be a good year, with a lot of new sights to see.

loggers son

Occupation
shovel logger operator
Last edited:

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Pulling the trans out of a 255
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Maybe they will let me come back to reinstall it after its been rebuilt.......TIO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 778

Coastal WA

TSY 155
Looking to replace/repair the Haulback and Mainline sheave at the top of the boom.
Does anyone have or know where we could find one?
Would like one so we could switch out and keep running while the worn sheave is repaired.

Coastal WA

TSY 155
Looking to replace/repair the Haulback and Mainline sheave at the top of the boom.
Does anyone have or know where we could find one?
Would like one so we could switch out and keep running while the worn sheave is repaired.

Firewood79

We had sheave built for our TMY 50 by an outfit named Mechanical Design in Albany, OR. They machined it out of a solid block of steel. I think it cost around $1000.