• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

thoughts on SDLG and SEM front end loaders??

ashay

good day everyone, im new on the forum im from south africa where my family own and run a plant hire company, we currently in the market for 2 new wheel loaders i want to know if anyone has had any experience with the chinese machines in the market namely SDLG (backed by volvo) or SEM ( backed by CAT) the price at which they come in at is a bit hard not to ignore them... we at the moment have mainly CAT machines, looking to buy a 950 size loaders i heard good things about the volvo and case machines, but they are really expensive, these chinese machines are half the price.. can anyone advise me on them ? great forum by the way. thanks

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
Another South African! :D Where about are you? I would recommend a Doosan Mega 300, forget about the Chinese machines, they fall apart in no time (the only reason Barloworld backs the SEM's is because they have Cat hydraulic valves somewhere in them), they are uncomfortable so you can forget about trying to get a Cat conditioned operator to work a full day, and they drink diesel. Again, just get a Doosan, those 300's beat Cats and Kawasaki's up in the mines.

ashay

thanks alot for the info... a guy from case called today.. think they sell doosans gonna get some prices from him.. im from DURBAN

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
Maritzburg this side... Doosan is at 1B Stockville Road, Mahogany Ridge, last time I went past they had some stock... But ja, Case and Doosan are both operated by Invicta Holdings last time I checked so that makes sense.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Mate the SDLG is a very nice machine we have sold more then 50 of them the SEM (shan dong CAT) well mate hounestly what you have to look at with SEM the after sales service is lacking a lot with them I was actually going to be the SEM agent for australia until i was told that the australian agents for Cat could close out the market at any time and bring them in them selfs. now the SEMs also have 3 different versions for every model you have the ones running 100% chinese parts and engine and then you have the 50/50 models and now SEM has the new C models that they clam have the Cat and perkins engine. (chinese perkins) tech in them but the price is a lot higher on them.

SEM was brought buy cat so then cat would not have to sell there newer G models and other models as lower prices to be competitive in the devloping markets , a mistake that Komatsu is still learning from , SDLG are there own company and they are investing a lot into R&D where as basicly SEM dose not want to do that as it will stard to impact the CAT market.

SEM will launch a new grader and bulldozer models this year and next year they are basicly coping the H series graders and the K series Dozers when i was at there factory a few months back we where looking at there models if any one would like to see some photos of there factory please let me know i will post some here.

Last edited:

Bakes

Occupation
Sales and Marketing
Ashay
This reply may be a bit late - but the content holds true
1. Volvo Construction Company have bought 80% of SDLG. The reason for this investment is 2 fold:
a. To have a less expensive entry market available to client base
b. To ensure quality and build of units meets Volvo's standards
2. All SDLG units coming into SA will be higher spec units - Cummins engines, ROPS/FOPS, aircon, ZF transmission,etc
3. SDLG will be marketed under the Babcock banner in Southern Africa (as is Volvo)
4. Both Babcock and Volvo are 100% behind the SDLG product
5. The SDLG product line offers you the purchaser an extremely competitive product at a very competitive price

As far as comments on CHINESE machines - look at what you are buying. Look at the support and back up services. Look at the quality and price. If these factors are acceptable and you are happy with the back up (huge impact on future sales) then go for it