• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thermostat

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have a 2014 grader made by Calder Bros. It has a 118hp liquid cooled Deutz diesel engine. I noticed from day one that it seemed to run cold. Less than 1000 hours it started smoking. It was taken to an engine shop under warranty. They said I am trying the engine too high, it runs cold, glazes the liner's, and the oil blows by. I've tried running it anywhere from 2200 to 600, and I can't get it to come up in temp. Once last summer when it was really hot out, and I was in an area with not a lot of air movement, it came up to 175, but mostly 125 140. It,s not the gauge, cause it's been checked with a gun. Question since it was built in the southern states, would it have a cooler thermostat? I've been preaching thermostat, but I get the once you start taking it apart, it starts leaking bs. Does Deutz have a summer and winter thermostat?

StanRUS

Not sure about Deutz but, any diesel should run 175+ to be in the operating range!

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
If the mechanics won't change or even test the t stat they are a joke!! Don't they have the engine apart anyway?

If all else fails, partially cover the rad with cardboard and adjust coverage as necessary to prevent overheating haha!!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
This all took place in July. To my knowledge, all they did was check the turbo to make sure it wasn't the problem, ran it around their yard, and decide that when it is run at max rpm, it doesn't get up to temp. If I run her below 2 grand, the hydraulics become too sluggish, so She goes wide open, and smokes like an old asphalt plant. It is our own shop, that I am trying to convince about the thermostat. I considered cardboard last fall, because I was freezing to death. But the air to air, and hydraulic cooler take up the entire surface of the rad.