• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Ultimate Loader??

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Similar to the other Ultimate machine threads, what features or improvements would you like to see on a wheel loader if you were to design it no holds barred?

Hjolli

Without having any particular suggestions myself I've just read a very interesting article about the latest Cat 966k XE. http://www.uk.cat.com/cda/files/3467460/7/AEXQ0696-00.pdf.

What I think is particularly interesting is the transmission which is continuously variable and energy saving by regenerating power when braking acc. To Caterpillar.

Could be interesting to know if anybody out there has any experience with these machines.
I operated a lot of loaders in the past and sometimes I could wish for a step less trans when driving into the pile, spinning the wheels in 1. Gear and having too little force in 2.

Last edited:

briscoetab

Occupation
Mechanic Formen and Equipment operator
We just got a 950K and I love it, comfortable, powerful and easy to operate. The only gripe that I have so far is we have had to call CAT twice because of electronics. First time it was a sensor on the axel I think, nothing wrong just the sensor went out and had to be replaced. Second time the joystick went out and could move the front attachment and we only had 250 hours on it. Other than those couple of hiccups it is an awesome piece of equipment.

briscoetab

Occupation
Mechanic Formen and Equipment operator
I was thinking about this some more today and one thing I would like to see in most equipment including our new 950K is more storage area inside and outside the cab. There is nowhere to store a grease gun or rags or anything on the outside of the cab, we use our wheel loader to drag pipe on pipelines so it would be nice to have a place for chains. Inside is a little better, there is a medium size bin on the door and decent sized cup holders on the right side by the windows, but that is it. Everything else has to go in the floor on the left side of the seat and when you operate a wheel loader where we work stuff get thrown all around the cab, which can be a safety isssue as well.

One other thing that drives me nuts are the rear tie down spots, they put the engine access ladders/steps right under them. We had to undo the bolts on the rubber part of the ladder so it would swing inward to give clearance for the chain. Why did they do this, now those steps are useless and might as well just be taken off. The front tiedowms are great, big holes to allow for large chains and hooks and in the right spot to miss the tires and lifting arms. I also like the engine access, its pretty good and can easily get to and see the whole engine.

The fuel filling port should have been moved somewhere that doesn't require lifting the entire hood to get to, or put a small access panel in the hood to allow you to get to it.

Other than those couple of small things I think the loader is close to the ultimate loader.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hmm,

How 'bout a Loader that allows an Operator to sit on a comfortable chair in a comfortable setting where he or she watches via monitors the function and application of the machine? Believe it or not, it won't be too many more years before that is exactly what an Operator will be tasked to do, we might as well embrace the idea now.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hmm,

How 'bout a Loader that allows an Operator to sit on a comfortable chair in a comfortable setting where he or she watches via monitors the function and application of the machine? Believe it or not, it won't be too many more years before that is exactly what an Operator will be tasked to do, we might as well embrace the idea now.

An they will still complain about something! I often think we should have saved a couple of the old Hough 120 loaders to give to the operators when they complain about something on the 980G's and other machines.

WhyWhyZed

Hmm,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK7k-I-0pBw

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Give me a certified rebuilt 980 f and I would be pretty damn happy. For a larger loader they are darn fast and nimble.

kshansen

Occupation
Give me a certified rebuilt 980 f and I would be pretty damn happy. For a larger loader they are darn fast and nimble.

This is far from what a normal person would call "The Ultimate Loader" but after 40+ years working on this stuff I'm far from normal!:eek:

If I had use for one around the yard I'd take a 966C 76J series and a blank check to the parts department at the local Cat dealer.I'd have fun taking it down to the bare frame and rebuilding each component one at a time. When done with that job find me a 980 42H series. Something about that 4 over head cam V-8 with all those rattling timing gears at idle just hit me right along with the four maxi-brake cans on the front axle.

kshansen

Occupation
mate what do you mean by a flip cab? you mean one that will flip on its side so you can get into the transmission and things?

I believe that is what he was meaning, or flip forward for access. We have a 980G II that has an oil leak under the cab on a pump. When I look in the manual on removing this pump first step is "Remove Cab". Probably not as bad a job as it seems at first but if the cab would tilt forward say at 45º on a couple hyd. cylinders like the hood on our 980K would be nice. At our main shop we are lucky to have a 40 ton overhead crane so lifting it will not be a problem. If we had to do this out in the back woods it would be a different story!

johnfu1985

Forway skid steer loader, wheel loader & mini skid steer loader, mini-dumper trailer

Forward, sideways, just flip for trans, pumps or leaks

I am John, from Forway Heavy Industry, making skid steer loaders, wheel loaders & Mini loaders, trailers.

We are seek for local distributor in America.

Please contact us for more information about it.

www.forway.com

John@forway.com

Thanks.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
966k is the best loader I have ever ran fast smooth and powerful.

Ryan151

The thing I like about Volvo loaders, is how they all handle the same. If you are on an L70, or an L150, they have the same feel.

yeah all jerky and craptastic Ive ran some l220e's and they all suck. compared to a cat 980g or any cat machine those volvo's are gutless pigs