• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex 110F

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Has anyone tried or own a 110 forestry Terex with a mulched on it. I was curious if it is prone to ever overheating or running in the hotter side while mulching in the summer heat as well as an overall review. Also how about the new 299D Cat machines for same application. Thanks

Last edited:

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
We have a Terex PT110G, forestry. It seems to operate ok in the summer. It doesn't overheat for us, but its not as hot here, as it would be where you are. Has a FAE head on it (sorry I don't remember what model FAE) Its kinda a funny machine. Sauer Danfoss controllers, and Rexroth joysticks. All mixed up. But seems to work. Perkins engine, which you can only get Perkins filters for (except the air filters) Not too many issues, some small leaks here and there, loose bolts on hydraulic tank, and had a bad joystick. The emissions on the engine seem to be working good. (fingers crossed) So overall its been a good machine. Got about 800hrs on it. Not all of that was mulching work. We have a grapple and a bucket and a blade for it too. Very multi functional. Not too bad to work on, as almost the whole bottom pan comes off (no fun if your fixing leaks though)

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
No sir it doesn't. I'm not sure how much it would help. It doesn't seem like the radiator is getting that dirty. But I don't know. It's expensive from what I've seen. Do you have one or know anything about them

lumberjack

I sent you a PM, the 110F has the hydraulic reversing fan which is keeps the radiator cleaner, moves more air, and doesn't draw as much hp when it's not needed (vs a mechanical fan).

furu

I recently got a Pt 110 and put a Fecon head on it. The next day, nearly the whole state/region gets a IFPL 4 and shuts down everything. Can't even run the thing.
can't wait to get it out and see how it really does on the job. I used a 299D XHP last year and was not overly impressed with the recovery time and traction of the unit.

lumberjack

My guess is Oregon. IFPL is like a burn ban but it relates to machines and level 4 is the highest prohibiting working in the woods.

furu

What's a IFPL4? What state are you in. I'd like to hear your results. Keep me posted .... thanks

I am in Washington. Both Oregon, Washington, and the BLM and a couple of other western states participate in the Industrial Fire Precaution Levels (IFPL) program.

There are four basic levels in the IFPL program.
Level I: Closed Fire Season - fire equipment and firewatch service is required.

Level II: Partial Hootowl - limits certain activities to between the hours of 8 p.m. and 1 p.m.
Partial Hootowl, the following may operate only between the hours of 8 pm and 1 pm local time: Power saws except at loading sites, Cable yarding, blasting, welding or cutting of metal. Pump Truck Requirements are in effect in designated areas. A one hour fire watch is required after the shutdown of operations.

Level III: Partial Shutdown - prohibits some activities altogether and limits other activities to between the hours of 8 p.m. and 1 p.m.
Partial Shutdown and Fire Tool and Pump Truck Requirements are in effect. During industrial operations, you must have a 300 gallon pump truck or trailer on site. The one hour fire watch is required.

Level IV: General Shutdown - All operations prohibited.

Total of over 1300 sq miles on fire that is more than 30% larger in area than the entire state of Rhode Island and nearly as large as Delaware (1900 sq miles) for size comparisons.

That number does not include the "smaller fires". Bottom line I can't take my unit out right now. I certainly will keep you apprised.

furu

Well I said I would get back after we got a better IFPL level. I've been a bit busy and did not post back. Sorry.

I really like my PT110 with the Fecon head. So far it is a far better combination than the Cat 299D XHP with the HM315 head that I ran last year. More power and torque and the head is a chewing monster. Recovery time seems a little bit slower than I would have thought but I am still learning this machine and maybe I am looking for a bit too much. I need to talk with the manufacturer and make certain everything is working OK. I will tell you I have mulched many 7-8 inch standing hardwoods that amazed me. I raised the head up to 6-7 feet cut the bole and then lowered the head to the ground in less than 5 seconds and it ground the bole all the way down. Initially I would stop as the speed dropped and let it recover but after a little experimenting I found that the variable displacement motor on the Fecon allowed me to keep the drop rate just about constant and with the torque increase as the speed drops off it just keeps going. My first experience with the variable displacement motor on the Fecon and it is worth every dollar it cost.
Of course it has been September and not very warm but coolant and hydraulic temp on the unit has been very good and fuel burn seems so far to be less than the Cat 299D XHP doing the same type of work. I need a bit more time on the machine to say that for certain however.
The reversing fan has kept the screens very clear and the pressurized cabin has kept the majority of dust out. However the debris that filters in when the door opens is still a problem. The unit is not near as nose pitchy as the Cat in uneven terrain. Only once so far have I had to use the head to keep from feeling as if it was going to do a nose stand as it went down into gullies and depressions. Really like the wider tracks.

Ozimoon

Looking at buying this same setup. Pt110 and Fecon head. Anything new to report? And what rotor did you get on the Fecon?

furu

Looking at buying this same setup. Pt110 and Fecon head. Anything new to report? And what rotor did you get on the Fecon?

I have the HDT Rotor with the HDT Double Carbide Tool (teeth).
The combination has performed at or above expectations in just about every way. I have had some difficulty in steeper terrain with traction but when it is steep there is a limit unless you are using steel grousers.

I am very satisfied with the combination unit.

Here is some data sheets on the rotors and tools that Fecon sent me several years ago. The dealers are sometimes a bit short on the specs

Fecon rotor explanation and tool choices-page-001.jpg

Fecon rotor explanation and tool choices-page-003.jpg

Fecon rotor explanation and tool choices-page-002.jpg

Last edited:

Ozimoon

Thanks for the info Furu much appreciated. Anyone else run this combo or one of them? Would also like to hear about anyones experience with Fecons DCR depth control rotors. And on the other 2 rotors are samurai's better than the HDT chipper? How is the Terex going btw.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Furu , I have been operating a PT110F and Fecon mulcher the last couple of days and agree with up about the rotor recovery time. On the control box were the hoses from the loader go into there is a pressure relief valve. Screw it in one turn at a time until your'e happy. Your Operator Manual should tell you which one it is if it's the same as the older Fecons. I did this 10 years ago to get things working right on my new RC100

f311fr1

I have both an ASV RC100 and a CAT 299D2 XHP with the roof mounted aux oil cooler and land management package. The older ASV is very prone to pluging up the radiatior. Clean with a degreaser and wash with dawn dish soap and lots of water and the stock radiatior will work ok under 95 degrees F ambiant air. The Cat is a whole different story. Does not over heat and the AC actually works. We run a FAE 125 size head on either machine. My next head will be a AFE rotary rather than drum style.