• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tape measure falls 50 stories, killing man at construction site

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I heard this on the radio yesterday, what a shame. Just goes to show it only takes a second.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I was grading in between two new houses last week, with guys putting the roof on one of them. I had to stop three different times, twice to pick up a tape, and once to pick up a chalk line. The guy explained to me that the rope to his safety harness always gets fouled on his tool belt and knocks stuff out.

As far as the accident reported above goes, I'm not sure a hardhat would be enough to protect against a one pound object falling 50 stories.

Sad... :(

lantraxco

Sounds like it ricocheted off a piece of machinery, we'll never know but a hard hat might have made the difference between fatal and serious concussion. Sad anyway.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I agree landtraxco, I'll take my chances with a hardhat.

This is a lesson for all of us to be cautious and prudent while we're working, anything can happen. It doesn't take something like this to take us out, I've been to the ER for much less but I lived to tell the story..