• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi to Brand Terex Skid Steers Starting in 2013

Digdeep

This was announced Yesterday. I really don't see any upside to this for Takeuchi.

I think Terex's skids fall somewhere in with Thomas and the old Volvo (Scatrak). Some good features, but lots of shortcomings make them marginal in my book.

I think it's indicative of one of two things, or both-

1. Takeuchi feels that they need a skid steer for their dealers and they can't/won't build it themselves.
2. It's reflective of Takeuchi's true place in the market as a middle of the road OEM. Not that their product is second rate (good quality), but merely that they are not that strong in the market place and need to offer additional revenue streams to themselves and their dealers. I mentioned this previously as it related to their market share losses since the early 2000s stemming from everyone else coming into the market with their own CTLs, and their short line offering sold through major OEM dealers, e.g. Case, NH, Deere (not anymore), etc.

Here is the announcement:

Terex Construction announced today that it has entered into a partnership with Takeuchi Manufacturing, U.S. in which Terex will supply Takeuchi with eight new models of skid steer loaders.

Mark Luttmann, Terex sales operations manager at Terex Americas, said Tuesday morning that he would not disclose specifically how long the two companies have been in talks but that discussions over the partnership had taken place “for a while.”

“The deal is good both of us,” Luttman said.

In a statement, Takeuchi U.S. President Clay Eubanks said Terex was selected to supply the new skid steer loaders “after an extensive review process.”

Terex will supply Takeuchi with vertical and radial lift skid steers, a product Takeuchi’s current lineup is without. Takeuchi currently offers wheel loaders, compact track loaders and excavators in the U.S. The new skid steers will range in operating weight from 6,500 to 8,600 pounds with a rated operating capacity from 1,500 to 3,000 pounds.

The new skid steers will be Takeuchi-branded and, according to the announcement, Takeuchi will handle sales, rental and parts supply as well as customer support for the new skid steer loaders.

“We will support our customer’s parts and service needs in the same way as we do our other products today,” Eubanks said.

As far as the benefits for Terex go, Terex Construction Americas and Global Aftermarket vice president and general manager Dean Barley called the partnership “a great opportunity to leverage our manufacturing operations in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, and drive additional operational efficiencies through our whole production and supply chain.”

JCBiron

It will definitely be interested to see how these "new" Tak wheeled machines will be received in the marketplace when they have been known for so many years as the pioneer of the CTL.

I liken this to how our Case IH 4wd's are percieved by owners of competitive machines......Most guys that own other brands have no problem switching over to a Quadtrac, but they seem to have amnesia when it comes to wheeld tractors. When someone thinks of a Case IH 4WD, they immediately think Quadtrac, even though our wheeled machines are just as competitive in the marketplace.

Thanks for the info Digdeep.

Last edited: