• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SVL75 - Shattered Door Window

Laidback1

Dayum,
Using grapple to clear some cut mesquite brush and BAM, piece of mesquite shot up like it came out of a rifle and shattered the door in a million pieces. Certainly got my attention! New unit, just 35 hours.
I imagine it's not going to be cheap to replace the thing. Problem is what's going to keep it from happening again? I wonder if they offer an option with ballistic glass

Tags

I did this to my SVL90 while brush hogging, it does wake you up quick that is fer sure! My dealer had the glass in stock and I believe it was around 250 or so. I believe they do offer a lexan windshield as an option.

Jimbo

I have not yet broken the windshield on my SVL90, but understand it will break, eventually.
I priced the lexan replacement at my dealer, and was shocked to hear $2300(complete assembly, frame and all, direct replacement) Holy Schnikies!!!!
Any ideas for a suitable substitute are welcomed.

Laidback1

I priced the lexan replacement at my dealer, and was shocked to hear $2300(complete assembly, frame and all, direct replacement) Holy Schnikies!!!!
Any ideas for a suitable substitute are welcomed.

Ouch $2300! Looking at non-Kubota dealer options and will report back

JD8875

You can buy lexan/polycarbonate sheet at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's about $200 a sheet if I recall correctly for 1/8". Use the seal for a pattern and cut a new windshield. Prolly get at least two from a sheet.

John

Laidback1

Got pricing today from Kubota on lexan windshield pre-drilled for the door handle, wiper blade etc. $650. That's if the frame is still usable. Mine's a little bent but I'm pretty sure that I can get it back to shape

Tinkerer

I think you will eventually regret using anything but glass for a replacement. I tried it and it scratches easily just trying to clean it. If you wipe it dry to clean it, it will have millions of tiny scratches that make working in bright sunlight a real nuisance. Others may have better luck than I did but the Lexan / poly-carbonate was a waste of money.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I'm in agreement with Tinkerer. For everyday use Lexan can be pretty annoying. For a flat glass/frame like the SVL's, what about a Lexan sheet that could be easily attached and removed with short standoffs? You'd have to make sure the door would still have room to be flipped up, but I think it's doable.

cdm123

The Lexan windows are generally a lot thicker than the 1/4" hardware stuff and intended for use with mulchers and hammers etc stuff where it may save your face or life .

Jimbo

The Lexan windows are generally a lot thicker than the 1/4" hardware stuff and intended for use with mulchers and hammers etc stuff where it may save your face or life .

That is what I was thinking; the lexan would need to be at least 3/8" thick, as it is sold by Kubota as a safety device, and recommended for use with grapples, mowers, hammers, etc.....

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A lexen screen for my Rayco costs 100 bucks unshaped 12mms thick.1200bucks is a ripoff .I can't buy product to remove the scratches for that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Polycarbonate is some good stuff but will scratch to beat hell and is not unbreakable in such conditions. Impact resistant yes and a safety feature to eyewear yes in large sheets can still be broken if hit right after has had time to sunbake. In some conditions impact resistant glass and safety glass are still a preference. If working in severe enough woodlot expanded metal stand off removable impact screens would be a cure to broken glass much as the demolition industry uses.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Nothing is unbreakable or idiot proof but I think Lexen for all its down sides is still a much better and safer option.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Yeah Tones, I'm willing to give it a shot.

f311fr1

Contact Shields Windshields. I had them make a door glass with thrie supercoat on both sides for my ASV. The optics are much better than poly and about the same $ as the local glass shop ($331.28) drilled and cut to my pattern. They have the Kubota door sheilds in stock usually. 765 342 2300. They are in Indiana. www.racingshields.com