• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Super dump truck, need info on best power train

10hotrod16

I AM LOOKING TO BUILD ANOTHER L9000 FORD DUMP TRUCK (1979), WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS THE HIGHEST HORSE/TORQUE, TOUGHEST, MEANEST, LONG LASTING MECHANICAL INJECTED ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND TOUGHEST REAR ENDS AVALIBLE............ANY RECOMENDATIONS? :usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:

norite

I really liked the old 400 cummins. As for trans it's hard to beat an Eaton RR 8LL for a dump, I'd look for Rockwell 44 or 46k rears with full locks.

Haven't had a heavy truck around for 10 years or so, may buy one in the near future, mostly to move equipment around.

Last edited:

johndeere123

Are you looking to make a practical truck, or a TOUGHEST, MEANEST, LONG LASTING MECHANICAL INJECTED ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND TOUGHEST REAR ENDS. Because they usually are not the same. If its not going to be a practical truck, I would go with an 8V92T Detroit for the meanest sound. If you are going for practical, cat/cummins

d9gdon

Yeah, look at the original post...I didn't see any limits on his wish list. At least you wouldn't burn it all in the same spot.

I don't know what could pull better or sound nicer than a 3408 with straights, and prolly run a million miles between overhauls unlike the new EGR engines.

Tyler1022

the 3408 would be really nice but wouldn't that be hard on that L9000. I say 3406b you got the best of both worlds power and reliability and there not to bad on fuel

d9gdon

I AM LOOKING TO BUILD ANOTHER L9000 FORD DUMP TRUCK (1979), WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS THE HIGHEST HORSE/TORQUE, TOUGHEST, MEANEST, LONG LASTING MECHANICAL INJECTED ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND TOUGHEST REAR ENDS AVALIBLE............ANY RECOMENDATIONS? :usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:

Yeah, a 3406B is much more practical. Doesn't he say above that he wants the highest horse/torque, transmission, and rear ends?

YEC1998

Occupation
owner operator
I would vote on the 400 (855) Cummins. Like previously said cheap to operate and in the right hands can be made to run real good. I would want Hendrickson walking beams under her and Rockwell rears. For the transmission I like the Eaton Fuller 13 Speed, pleanty of low and high gears. Opinions are like *******s everybody has one but that is my 2 cents worth.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
3408 or kta 600 would be fun turn the fuel up and let it eat is my vote

ptrdozing

3406b for sure:) We've got a 3406b in a 90 Ford dump truck with a port and polished head and a turned up pump. Runs really good not bad on fuel either.
4.33 ratio, 40k rears, and a 13 speed.

Around here we can only go 56,000 with one pusher but it'll do 6 to 6.5 mpg if your nice to it and around 76mph is top speed.

Ive only ran against a couple of 435 hp c-12's but it'll leave them all day long.