• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Suggestions for a used grader?

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Round here we call them a snow gate or a paving gate. a lot of cities will use them for streets. put the gate down so they dont fill the driveways. When they are past the driveway they lift them up and unload the blade. They work good but just one more thing to watch out for. Makes for a busy operator. How did you like the Case. I dont see many around here. The only thing I know about them is that one contractor had one and used it for snow removal. He had a ton of electrical issues and Case ended up buying the machine back:(

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
Saw a couple blades settin in the oil field supply outfit in Edgerton today. Not sure if they sell equipment or not but the baldes had a 'for sale look' about them. I think one was a deere and one was a champion, that was a few hours and many miles ago that I went by there.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Round here we call them a snow gate or a paving gate. a lot of cities will use them for streets. put the gate down so they dont fill the driveways. When they are past the driveway they lift them up and unload the blade. They work good but just one more thing to watch out for. Makes for a busy operator. How did you like the Case. I dont see many around here. The only thing I know about them is that one contractor had one and used it for snow removal. He had a ton of electrical issues and Case ended up buying the machine back:(

I put over 20 hours on the case grader in two days, things I liked about the machine were: the machine had good power, fast road speed I averaged 28 mi./h, great fuel usage around 4 gallons per hour, plenty of cutting ability, moldboard seemed to be able to carry more material. Things I didn't like: loud hydraulics, not as comfortable as I expected (I hate these low-profile cabs, I like to be able to stretch my legs) did I mention loud hydraulics? I didn't like the front articulationbut it was easier to tell when you were straight. You know the hydraulics seemed to be kind of loud.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Saw a couple blades settin in the oil field supply outfit in Edgerton today. Not sure if they sell equipment or not but the baldes had a 'for sale look' about them. I think one was a deere and one was a champion, that was a few hours and many miles ago that I went by there.

Huh. I wonder?? anyway does it seem like the oilfield is getting ready to take off again to you??

Last edited:

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
My guys could really butcher the cab with that bad boy.

This machine has had two operators only in its lifetime. somehow neither one of them has hit the cab. Although it does have new tires on front so I suspect, well you get the picture

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
Huh. I wonder?? anyway does it seem like the oilfield is getting ready to take off again to you??

I've heard talk of a field they're doing some type of new fracking or something like from Greenley CO clear to Lusk, maybe up north to Wright. I read about it in the Star Trib a few months ago, and have heard rumblings. I had been around the state quite a bit the last month or so and had seen quite a few rigs up in that area. Maybe some roads for you to get in on?

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
I've heard talk of a field they're doing some type of new fracking or something like from Greenley CO clear to Lusk, maybe up north to Wright. I read about it in the Star Trib a few months ago, and have heard rumblings. I had been around the state quite a bit the last month or so and had seen quite a few rigs up in that area. Maybe some roads for you to get in on?

Yep I've heard the same thing from a few different sources. I am interested in the oilfield work but I am unsure about how to get started out there. Then will I have to put all my other customers on hold because I'm so busy in the oilfield? I know the money is better in the oilfield so if I get a chance I'll go.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Thanks everyone

Well I finally bought a blade. A 1992 670B with less than 3000 hours. I would like to thank everyone for all their input over the last few months. This forum was a valuable resource and I will try to continue to contribute to the forum. In the end my choice of blades came down to what I could find that was in good shape that I could afford. Brand didn't play a big part except for the fact that caterpillars were so expensive. Once again thanks everyone for your input.

Attachments

• 100B3070.JPG
    100B3070.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Deere makes a good,dependable machine. The 'B's are a simple machine to work on without a lot of electronics. It should last you for a good long time if it only has 3000 hrs. enjoy your seat time and keep the rubber on the road.:)

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Deere makes a good,dependable machine. The 'B's are a simple machine to work on without a lot of electronics. It should last you for a good long time if it only has 3000 hrs. enjoy your seat time and keep the rubber on the road.:)

Thanks...as to seat time I hope it is more comfortable than that new Case 865

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Yeah I am woundering about the hours due to the meter is mounted on a black mount plate. I think it should be yellow:confused:

Attachments

• hour meter 011.jpg
    hour meter 011.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 428

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
Yeah I am woundering about the hours due to the meter is mounted on a black mount plate. I think it should be yellow:confused:

Maybe it was repowered along w/ a new hour meter. My 570A underwent a dealer repower in 1992 and got a new hour meter on a black plate too.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Maybe......the rest of the machine shows very little wear....yours was repowered in 92. Mine was manufactured In 1992 maybe the hour meters were just that color in that year??

jrm1504

Occupation
Apple farmer from central Wa
Well??

So how do you like the machine? I'm also looking at a Deere 670B.

Can I be so bold as to ask how much you paid for it?

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
ohhh the pain!

My wife does not appreciate my pain. So I will come share with you guys. Take a look at these pictures and let me know what you think. Right on top of the valves!!! Of all places!

Attachments

• grader nest.jpg
    grader nest.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 456
  • grader nest 2.jpg
    grader nest 2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 455

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Okay. I know you guys think are thinking what a idiot. Let me explain my reasoning for spending that much on this old machine. Number one the overall machine exhibits very little wear. I can't find anywhere where there aren't at least three shims left of adjustment. The machine has a rear ripper and a front push block between these two adds over 4000 pounds to the machine. For her size she's heavy and should be able to cut easily. She has an upgraded hydraulic pump from the factory. Air-conditioning along with the pressurized cab. I had the transmission and engine oil tested both turned out good after being in the machine over 14 years. The seat doesn't even show any wear. she starts right up doesn't smoke a bit no blow by whatsoever. The bad..... stinking nests everywhere ...on top of valves. in the air-conditioning. on top the transmission. all over. Oddly enough all these nests hasn't seemed to harm the hoses at all. Prior owner informed me that the machine was inside the first 10 years of its life. They all look good. Did I spend too much???

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
So how do you like the machine? I'm also looking at a Deere 670B.

Can I be so bold as to ask how much you paid for it?

don't know yet haven't got to use it yet. around 44k and going up every day. 600 + for fluid change...not counting the tandems