• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Suggestions for a used grader?

Silveroddo

Good luck with it, theres alot to be said for getting into that development. You'll get it figured out, you have to pay to play but fortunately its not rocket science. Keep some good records while your working, I have grading sheets that list the road, length, time I start, time I finish, and travel time to and from, the date, and comments on condition. Plug it all into a spreadsheet and it will help you with your biding on future work.

jw8080

We currently have a 1981 CAT 12G for $23990 Ms ripper, 16870 hrs, excellent working condition, this might be around your price range. Let me know

562C

Thanks for the advice 562C.....and your right I would be scared of a machine 10 years oler than me ......but I bet the old girl does a good job.

It's older than I am too. Probably about 20,000 hours on it, the moldboard has a patch 10 feet long and 8" high that we put in where it was worn through/thin. I only paid 1800 bucks for it about 15 years ago. One major repair in that time, broke an axle where it comes out of the rear end housing, New axle and re-bearinged the centre section... Does what I need it to do...
If you found the RIGHT antique it would do what you want, but they're usually pretty beat up.

Last edited:

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Silveroddo. Thanks for the advice. I flew to kentucky to look at a machine...waste of time and money. The grader was worn out. 4 to 6 inches of slack in the circle and lift assembly. I have no idea how many thousands it would cost to rebuild. So now I am looking at spending 40 to 50 k for a machine.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
562C..... It's not just the antiques that are pretty beat up. The machine I look that was in 1997 and I couldn't believe how bad a shape it was in. I hope that's not a sign that the champions aren't built to last. The machine only had around 7000 hours according to the meter. I lost the bid on old 570 last weekend the machine had 2500 hours it was a mid-80s model is sold for 30,000+ I couldn't believe it.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
JW 8080 I was hoping to stay a little closer to home when buying a machine although the price does look right. I don't have a passport yet so I would be able to come up and look at it until I get one. After the last one I looked at I'm definitely not buying until I can lay my hands on the machine.

Brandt

You're gonna have maintenance expense with any used machine. I would look at the $10K range and plan on putting $7-$10K into it. Then you know what you have.
I have a tendency to "marry" my equipment. I buy cheap and put a bundle into it to set it up like I want it. I always get backwards (more into the machine than I can sell it for) into equipment and never end up selling anything because of it. If you buy equip, use it for 5 years and then sell, DON'T take my advice. When I buy equipment it is 'til death do us part - my death!
Good luck with your search. In a week or 2, I am going to Arkansas to pick up my blade (1969 Austin-Western Super 300). I have a 38' dropdeck/beavertail if ya need something hauled.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Brandt
what part Wyoming you live in? If I buy one of these monsters I may need it hauled if I get a job out of town. The blade I was just looking at was in the $40,000 range and would've took at least $10,000 to get it right again. Probably more, all the hoses were shot. Good luck with your blade I hope that works out better for you than it has for me so far. The problem with buying a $10,000 blade is that I'm going to try to make a living off of this machine. I'm hoping to do at least 1000 hours a year.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
I am in Park County. 40 miles N of Cody and 5 miles S of the MT line.

Nice country......I ran excavator for M&K on a road project out past buffalo bill resovoir one summer many moons ago.

Brandt

I hope to be coming down that way in a week or 2 to get a dolly and a smooth drum compactor. Both old and antique - but cheap!! I'll dump $$ into them and "marry" them too!

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
How far south are you going???.....I might need a blade hauled back from the denver area.

Brandt

The dolly and compactor are in Casper. I wasn't planning on going south but I might be able to work it out.
I have a drop deck with a beavertail. The lower deck is 28' and the upper is 10'. If you are longer than 28' I can put some of it on the beavertail. I am 8' wide and 42" off of the ground.

d9gdon

Dang, come on down to Texas and get out of that cold while you're coming. I need a D8 winch moved to Canada, but Wyoming would be a heckuva good start.

562C

562C..... It's not just the antiques that are pretty beat up. The machine I look that was in 1997 and I couldn't believe how bad a shape it was in. I hope that's not a sign that the champions aren't built to last. The machine only had around 7000 hours according to the meter. I lost the bid on old 570 last weekend the machine had 2500 hours it was a mid-80s model is sold for 30,000+ I couldn't believe it.

Any machine will be junk with the wrong guys running it....
I have been using a 1992 720AVHP series 3 champion all winter, up until about 5 years ago I was the only operator of this machine. Currently has about 15,000 hours on it. Still don't hesitate to go out and work day in and day out with the machine. No such thing as too much grease...
IF I was shopping though, I'd be tempted to stay away from the 8.3 cummins. We've had a few problems with it. Head gaskets mostly. Also changed teh thrust bearings a while ago, bad design. Too much end play on the crank, thrust bearing only goes 1/2 way, not all teh way around.

Last edited:

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Still looking for a machine...I had to rent/demo a machine...and i will post some photos so you guys can tell me what I am doing wrong...I can take it.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
here are the photos

Repairing washouts in the barditch

Attachments

• 0306111040.jpg
    0306111040.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 447
  • 0306111030b.jpg
    0306111030b.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 445
  • 0306111030a.jpg
    0306111030a.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 435

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
What do you all think about this?? the owner calls it a gravel recovery scoop.

Attachments

• 100_3045.JPG
    100_3045.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 442