• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Subsistence Bulldozer Pond Excavation in Africa

Marsh Mutt

Hello Kevin the project is mine, but the land is leased from the government, so in theory I could get booted off the land at some point in the future, if for example a well-connected corporation or individual sets their sights on acquiring the place. Government documents in this part of the world can look impressive with all the official seals, coats-of-arms and stamps, but a routine change of elected government can see land allocations revoked literally by the stroke of a pen, especially if well-heeled speculators are lurking behind the scenes to "oil the wheels of progress" as it were.

That said I am banking on flying under the radar for hopefully enough years to see some returns from all the effort and time spent to get the fish farm going. A secondary reason that I am lining the forest edge with excavations is to block access to the little forest remaining, from timber thieves that prowl the area looking for a quick score. Once the forest is destroyed, the swamp usually dries up, ending all prospects of creating fish ponds there. So in addition to bumbling along as a self-taught farmer, I also do my best to serve as a forest guard, since the real forest guards lose their enthusiasm for enforcing the law as soon as timber poachers offer small cash bribes.

Reactions: LDK

kevin37b

Occupation
Operator #841
You are quite the adventurer . Not very safe there I gather . How do you protect yourselves ? Admire your courage and durability , Kevin .