• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuff happens I guess

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
Operator said he was winging and had main blade turned to the left for better visibility. He is a very new operator. Ram banged up against the heavy iron case by the steps. $6000.00 repair bill plus days lost. I post this as information and possible avoidance to other operators. I'm not casting stones but experience can be a costly business.

Ram ajam 1.jpg side shift no work.jpg Used pin stock for sale.jpg

Planedriver

Occupation
Farmer
We have all done this kind of thing. Sometimes stuff happens to really good operators. Either way it's a bitter pill for the owner to swallow.

I hesitate to broach the subject but with that much damage and loss of revenue. Does it make sense to make a claim with your insurance carrier?

The Peej

I don't understand how it broke clean in two spots with no other marks. I also see what looks like rust in the end still in the cylinder.

Jonas302

Well he wont do that again experience is the best teacher The ram can be replaced for way less than that probably $5-600 at hydraulic shop

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
We have all done this kind of thing. Sometimes stuff happens to really good operators. Either way it's a bitter pill for the owner to swallow.

I hesitate to broach the subject but with that much damage and loss of revenue. Does it make sense to make a claim with your insurance carrier?
These are all lease machines from Finning and the company does not own any of them . So in all likelihood they would demand exact original replacement. I am just a humble employee there but do enjoy running most of the equipment! :)

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Our 730 Champion had the cylinder on the other side. They had made a 2 foot extension on the chrome part of the cylinder for getting the moldboard farther out for shouldering the road. I used to put it on in winter so if you happened to hit the wing post it wouldn't damage the cylinder. Happened more often than not.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm with The Peej. That failure just doesn't make sense. There is no way that kind of break in a cylinder rod happens without a lot of bending and other damage to the blade. The failure had to be in tension. So how about a photo of the opposite end of the blade?

DB2

Bevel the rod. Weld it up. Slide it as far right as you dare. Disconnect the corresponding lever. At least it's still in production until a proper fix can be implemented. Flame away lol

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
I'm with The Peej. That failure just doesn't make sense. There is no way that kind of break in a cylinder rod happens without a lot of bending and other damage to the blade. The failure had to be in tension. So how about a photo of the opposite end of the blade?
Well it's too late for another picture as it has been repaired and back out on the road. I suspect it was under tension as well and was not noticed by the operator who may very well have attempted to shift it, or moved the blade. Possibly trying to cut water drainage channels and focused only on the blade tip. The circumstances were never revealed to me but I will ask the fellow how he arrived at this (sore) point. The grader sat outside for at least a week in wet snow/rain weather so it is also possible rust formed at this time. Now if I can find that picture of what happens when you lift the wing post with the right door open I will post it! :rolleyes:

Reactions: DB2

Welder Dave

Rust on a new machine from sitting outside for week or so...I don't think so. Maybe the shaft of the cylinder was too hard and that's why it snapped. It must have been pushed right into the casting but even then you'd think it would bend some and not snap a complete section out.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I don't get that either, probably some valuable information missing. :)