• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

steep hill digging

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
Jim they are from up here in State College...they are replacing a natural gas line in the mountains and i try and make it out that way on Sundays when i have time to do a little off roading and picture taking....i have a ton more...PM me and i can send you the link to my photobucket account

dirt digger

Occupation
Reuben i stumbled across 7 of their dozers today...all 7's and 8's...it looks like the job is wrapping up so my guess is they will start mobilizing everything soon...what did he run a 330 or 345? and where are they parked now?

Reuben

Reuben i stumbled across 7 of their dozers today...all 7's and 8's...it looks like the job is wrapping up so my guess is they will start mobilizing everything soon...what did he run a 330 or 345? and where are they parked now?

He and his son both ran a 345. That line is supposed to go al the way to harrisburg. I cant imagine they are even close to finishing the whole line. Last year I saw all their machines sitting between hawbakers pit and the road that heads up over the hill to center hall.

JDOFMEMI

Brian Hay has it right.

What you are talking about is Spider Hoe territory, or tied off to one or probably 2 winch cats dug in. In the rockies, they go down hills like that all the time, but they use special built machines and tie them off. In another thread I posted pics of the "ridgerunner" hoes they use.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=7402

The pictures in post 20 show one of them, and there is the new Volvo. That takes care of engine oiling issues and the problem swinging, but you still have to be tied off. The one in post 20 has brackets on the track frame to tie off on and keep the cable out of the way.

dirt digger

Occupation
Reuben here is the website...they say it will be operational by the end of 2008 so I can only assume they are wrapping up now...

http://www.dom.com/about/gas-transmission/covepoint/expansion/index.jsp#description

thats pretty neat both him and his son run hoes out there...i grabbed a bunch of pictures of 2 of the 345's i stumbled across one day.....the only 2 of the 10 machines i found with the door actually locked and the keys taken out.... maybe like father like son on responsible operating techniques...

heres one.....

PM me if you want a link to more..

Attachments

• pipeline pics 031.jpg
    pipeline pics 031.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,856

Lashlander

like this not a good pict took with my phone . was grading a slope in mew mexico last winter. its a 345C

Kinda having a tough time with that pic Hoeman. Little to steep for a hoe to set let alone operate. Besides the bank at the bottom looks a little better as a slope to the left. The post at the top of it looks better straight up and down too.
santa fe 3 135.jpg-1 (Small) (Custom).jpg

reddot556

well everyone thanks for your input. i took a ride out there this last week to look it over,,i saw some natural 3:1's and a little distance on what looked like a 2:1 but nothing steeper than that...i forgot to mention my superintendant is a laborer by trade..knows very little about the capabilities of excavators or obviously how to determine slope ratios..no big deal tho...we didnt get the job...came in 3rd,$800,000 behind the winner

BrianHay

:falldownlaugh Hoeman had to have been joking with that one :confused:

Here is a couple great shots working on steep slopes. I know most of you guys have already seen these but I'm sure there are lots of new members that haven't yet.

Attachments

• Spider Hoe _18_.jpg
    Spider Hoe _18_.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,854
  • Walking Excavator _22_.jpg
    Walking Excavator _22_.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,450

AllMtnConst.

Occupation
Self Employed
Nice pictures guys. I am with you Brian that is spider hoe territory unless you are able to tie off the machine or bench in. A lot of work I do benching in is out of the question and a conventional tracked excavator is going to leave way too much impact. Big Iron- real nice pictures. Sure is nice working on projects like that! More pictures of the Menzi on steep terrain in the thread Menzi Muck Photos.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,782

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
those are some neat machines!

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
One thing to keep in mind. Keep the tracks going up and down the hill. If you do happen to get a little sideways make sure you keep the stick out. I have seen 245 laying on the counter weight in a sidehill mode with the counter weight down hill and the stick tucked in. Wish I had pictures.
I saw pictures one time of that took a 225 and modified it Like a Timber Jack or Volveo to keep house level like 15 years ago for a pipeline job.

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
Snow covered hill

That steep spyder pic is awsome! Makes me dizzy just looking at it!
Here's a picture of a machine that was climbing a snow covered hill and started sliding sideways. It flipped over when the bottom track went in a ravine full of snow. Luckily, the operator was ok, and still kept his job! He has covered 100's of miles going cross country, but just slipped once.......that's all it takes! :Banghead

Here's a link to the flip over, they had to bring the Kitty in for that. :bash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb8G3BkfRCY

Attachments

• 102_7007.jpg
    102_7007.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 754
  • 102_7011.jpg
    102_7011.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 758
  • 102_7024.jpg
    102_7024.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
No mud that day, it was about -5 degrees F, the ground was frozen solid and was slick to even walk on.

Shimmy1

IMG_20161110_104716589.jpg Did 2 miles of this last fall. All (like most I do) was over the side. This slope wasn't quite a 1:1, but was more than a 2:1. Had to pull the stick most of the way in before starting the swing. As for the seatbelt, I had to get the retractor locked at the perfect position so it would hold me in the seat. After a week of being held in place by the belt, I was ready to be on flat ground again.

delectric123

View attachment 167874 Did 2 miles of this last fall. All (like most I do) was over the side. This slope wasn't quite a 1:1, but was more than a 2:1. Had to pull the stick most of the way in before starting the swing. As for the seatbelt, I had to get the retractor locked at the perfect position so it would hold me in the seat. After a week of being held in place by the belt, I was ready to be on flat ground again.
How tight do you make your tracks for these situations? Tighter than manual specs?

Shimmy1

I didn't mess with it, but my hoe has less than 2000 hrs and the rails are still pretty good yet. The secret it slow travel, and don't try and make any sudden changes in heading. If you try and turn too much, the rail will slip out from under the bottom rollers.