• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steel Panel Nibbler/Other Rectangular Hole Cutter?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Do any of you have suggestions for a tool for cutting rectangular holes in panels such as for switches and the like?

I have heard of a "nibbler" type tool but never used one except the ridiculous pliers type ones as seen on TV years ago and they were ridiculous.

I am thinking sheet metal but also occasionally something substantial maybe up to 1/16" and thicker if aluminum.

Ideas?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
For steel I use a 3" cutoff wheel on a right angle die grinder. Aluminum... it would be slow.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
There are quite a few companies that make these for punching holes round/square/etc... in sheet metal

punch.jpg

I would use a plasma table if you have access to one, very handy to draw up a layout and have it go to work :)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I didn't do a very good job of specifying. I was hoping for something other than grinder-based since the stream of sparks messes up paint and something I can hand carry in the field. Maybe there is no such tool but I am looking anyway. The rectangular hole cutter is intriguring, I guess I could just re-set it a couple times if I had a hole other than the size it punches. I have a tool like that I use for round holes as it is.

Ronsii

Occupation
I have seen electrical guys with all sorts of sizes of square and rectangle bits, as long as the material you're cutting isn't too strong offsetting should work... seen a guy doing just that with a 3-4 inch cutter and he had to make a cut and a half and it kept trying to bind sideways... I think a smaller cutter would have worked better with more cuts as long as you keep it 'balanced' so it doesn't try to tilt. Now aluminum should work easy with these although I haven't tried it myself... I have cut sheet aluminum(roadsign) with a rotozip before... cuts great!!! but you really have to keep control of it as it will want to go where ever it can :eek: I guess you could make a jig or guide to keep it inside of a specific area.

Ronsii

Occupation
That's just a pic I found on the internet of a mechanical punch you just use it with a wrench or socket and first drill a pilot hole.

Have seen plenty of hydraulic ones contractors use... either greenlee, ridgid or one of those name brands.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

A conventional jigsaw with correct blades works for many applications . . . you can clamp a bit of quarter ply or some such and cut through that too if needed to add a bit of stiffness/backing

A proper nibbler (as opposed to shears) works real well with no distortion.

Like with a jigsaw, you need to drill a hole to drop the anvil through and then they take out little half moon chips along the line.

I used to have a Bosch that would go to 16 gauge 316 but they were pretty pricy for occasional use . . . indispensable though if needed.

The punch and anvil were replaceable,

Cheers.

Last edited:

hvy 1ton

Nibblers work great on sheet metal. There are also body saws which are between a normal sawzall and a jigsaw.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've been considering getting one of those high speed oscillating grinder-shaped thingys. I wonder if one of those with a hack-saw style blade would work for this. Probably be loud as all get-out but I have ear plugs.

hvy 1ton

I have one of those and i wouldn't want to try to cut metal with one. Doesn't take very many nails to dull the blade.

DIYDAVE

The oscillating tools are primarily for woodworking, and cutting the occasional nail, in such. Also works good in plastic, but not sure if it would have a fine enough blade, for thin metal... I bought one of the HF ones, like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multi-tool-68861.html

I have used it for wood, and tire patching, but haven't had occasion, to use it for metal. I suppose, if you are handy with a mig welder, you could weld a fine tooth hacksaw blade, to a worn out wood blade...

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I borrowed one once, for a difficult wood job here on the house, and wrecked a lot of blades on nails and such, but I was using the blades with the long nasty looking teeth like on a Sawzall demo blade. So they did not handle wood very well. I bought a whole pack of assorted blades including the ones I wrecked to return to the owner when I was done and some looked like fine hack saw blades. That's what made me think of it.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Birken Vogt. Can you see my number eight post?

With the correct blades they work just fine. They were a standard tool in the sheet shop, I have cut hundreds of meters of 1/8" steel plate . . . they eat aluminium.

They need lubrication and a block of beeswax works just fine

Cheers.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Were you referring to a Bosch nibbler in #8 or a Bosch oscillating tool?

If the oscillating tool would do a good job I'd like to get that because I could also use it on a lot of other things like plunge cutting wood, etc.

Ronsii

Occupation
@95zIV, I have used one of those in the pneumatic version... if I recall it did work pretty good for aluminum but you had to put some force behind it for the sheet we were cutting was a bit thicker than the rating for the shears. Used it mostly for larger openings in jeep inner door panels :)

DIYDAVE

The thing you have to remember, when sawing metal, is to have 3 teeth going across the thickness of the metal (for 1/8", that's a 24 tooth blade).