• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starting a grading business.

I posted this in the wrong form so I'll try again here.

To start I essentially know nothing about sub grade or final. So obviously I've decided to start a grade company. I have two pieces of equipment, a 740 Volvo grader, and a 272 ssl. I am looking to purchase laser grading equipment for both pieces.

I won't talk actuall dollars as pricing varies by location, but I have narrowed it down to 1000 sq feet per hour for the ssl, and 2000 sqft(?) for the grader.

My questions are does that time include compaction? Should my price include the use of a roller an a labourer? Are companies looking for strictly grading services while providing the material and compaction themselves?

From what I've read the process is 1) remove the top soil 2) bring in suitable fill 3) compact and level fill 4) add a compactedand levelled (+\- 2") layer of gravel for drainage 5) spread and level final grade material

Does all this sound right? Is there anything missing? Am I off on my time estimates?

A reply!

There's not much new to report. We got through the rest of the winter only plowing twice. So in addition to oil prices hitting the industry in Alberta we also have good weather to blame! With the economy in the toilet I decided not to get the laser until things improve.

I'm kind of stuck. I'm not really sure where to start looking for new clients. I'm more interested in commercial work, but don't know how to find projects to bid on. Any advice in the customer aquisition area is welcome.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A lot of work may be able to be had in the fussy final grading prep for asphalt. I would talk to the asphalt contractors and try to sub from them. I personally would not write a contract that did not have the final grading and asphalt under one contract. The last thing I need is a grading contractor and a asphalt contractor both pointing fingers and blaming each other saying "not my fault" leaving me stuck in the middle when the water puddles are over allowed spec in the parking lot.

Last edited: