• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SPY Pics of the newly designed CAT 140M

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ThePlowman! :drinkup

ThePlowman

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/trucker
Thanks for the great welcomes, guys! I look forward to good discussions with all of you! I have alot of experience in forums, but have never joined one focussed on heavy equipment (even though I've been operating heavy equipment for years). So this should be interesting!

bm432

Occupation
Finish Blade Hand
Awesome!!!

I am a retired Finish Blade hand and I saw one of these on the corner by my house . I love the visibility of the machine. The slope on the engine compartment allows better visibility to see ground men and others. I would love to run one of these Blades. Having run everything from a 12 E to the H-Series my hands and fingers would get a workout on the days when I worked overtime hours . The repetitive movements can take its toll on your joints after a number of years in the form of Carpal tunnel . I like the idea of simplifying the steering without a steering wheel. I always felt that the steering wheel got in the way . The only thing I can think of to caution about the front wheel drive configuration is not to have a heavy foot while articulating because I have seen more than one blade hand turn their rig over by doing just that . Easy does it ! Control is more important than speed.

dozerdave

Hi Guys,

One time I was plowing snow with a 16G with chains on and hooked a big fir stump at the edge of the project road. The blade made a loud pop and no more circle reverse.

Another time on an old model 12, new then, I was late for catching the manhaul for quiting time and hit a solid rock along the edge of the road. The only damage was to me as I was standing up and had a pipe in my mouth. Yes I hit the windshield and 80% of the pipe was down my throat instantly. When I got to town I purchased a new pipe, full bend. My wife asked me why I was talking funny. That was also the last time I ever put the blade on the ground while standing up.

reaper020

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Where do you get time on a simulator never new they even had one

JDOFMEMI

They have had one on a tour of dealers. Don't know if it is still going around, but you can ask at the local dealer.

They also have it at the shows like Con-expo, which is where i got to try it.

RH 6

I am sure that the new "M" Series will lead the grader industry through the next 3 decades said:
Nice machine indeed. But I think that Caterpillar is more than 10 years behind manufactures like Veekmas. Of course Veekmas is very small company, but they make very good and well equipped graders.

bm432

Occupation
Finish Blade Hand
M Series Cat Blade

I wouldn't go as far as to say that in any respect is Cat behind any other design as far as the Blade itself . I have run the 12 E,12 F,140G/14 G, 16G,140 H/14 H over the last 32 years . I am sure that operator preference is at the top of the list for any machine , but Cat has improved the Grader Line in leaps and bounds . They are second to no one in the same given field , however the M-Series offers enough updating to prove that there is always room for improvement . The updated controls are evidence of that for sure . I only wish they had come a lot sooner , as it would have saved many from carpal-tunnel syndrome from the repetitive control use at the end of a long shift . I for one would have appreciated that . I am retired now , but would run one for free just for a chance to enjoy the the next step that Cat Tractor's has made available. No doubt the changes increase safety with the better visibility. I remember the 12 E I started out with and how poor the visibility was , it was all about "the feel" and the blade hands back in the day definitely felt it by noon , if they worked it hard . My safety record over 32 years wasn't easy given the lack of visibility over the back end of the machine . Other tradesmen that work around you never think about the safety of stepping behind a blade. If they only knew what we couldn't see beyond 15 feet from the back of the tractor. There is no "feel" to the new generation blades ,it is all about what you see now.