• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Splitting trailer coupler

Fitter449

Just picked up a new dump trailer and trying to find specific coupler. Buddy had it on his dump trailer years ago where you could pull straight into the coupler after you lifted a horseshoe piece and the coupler actually split open. If anyone could help that'd be great.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Just picked up a new dump trailer and trying to find specific coupler. Buddy had it on his dump trailer years ago where you could pull straight into the coupler after you lifted a horseshoe piece and the coupler actually split open. If anyone could help that'd be great.

Sounds like the original "Gooseneck Trailers" inverted coupler. Basically an upside down 5th wheel coupler and they did work slick. No cranking of the landing gear on a heavy laden trailer to pull out of it. Just take the weight off the pulling unit, pull the horseshoe lock up, and drive out.

1693TA

Occupation
Yeah I can't find it for the life of me lol I've tried every search phrase I can think of

If the one I'm thinking, I installed a bunch of them in the late 1970's. They were available in both a 2-5/16", and 3" ball type coupler.

1693TA

Occupation
I remember those too. Never messed with one however; sorry.

1693TA

Occupation
That would be the latest rendition of the hitch I was thinking. A little different in appearance now but the same company which had completely slipped my mind.

They are very heavy in construction and won't come undone from the ball once the hitch pin is slid into place holding the collar down.

They sure save your back from cranking on landing gear with the trailer loaded too.

Thanks for finding that one.

Fitter449

Found it it was made by quickbite guess they went out of business or something unfortunately

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211222-100134_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211222-100134_Chrome.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 12

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks for the follow-up, I had never seen that one in the past.