• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spicer 5speed Transmission Problem

flametamer

Occupation
Biomed Tech, Towing
We have a Spicer 6352 transmission in a 5 ton army truck. It is locking up in 1st gear. We think the shift rod is going too far forward, and causing the shift lever to lock up, but we do not know what is allowing the rod to go so far forward. Any ideas?

Thanks
Darrin

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Do you mean shifter locks in 1st gear and won't pull it back out? Or the tranny locks up when in 1st gear?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok. It's hard to say exactly whats causing your problem without digging into it a bit. I think the first thing I would do would be put it in 1st gear, and if the shifter locks there and won't pull the gear back out, I'd take the shift tower off the top of tranny and see if it feels like the 1st gear shifting rod is in it's detent, then try and pop it out of gear with a pry bar. Your problem may simply be something faulty in your shift tower.

flametamer

Occupation
Biomed Tech, Towing
The detents work, but in 1st, it will go past the detent, with the rod going further forward. This causes the finger of the shifter to hang up on the nocth that is goes in on top of the shift rod. I will try to get some pics this afternoon.

Dt