• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spectra GL422 purchase yes or no?

Legdoc

My CST Berger laser is DOA after years of being problematic. I want to step-up and I :usaam looking hard at the GL422. I certainly need single slope and for a little more dough a dual slope opens capabilities. This will be for general construction and dirt work. I may advance to manual machine control on mini excavators and my SVL-90. So should I proceed with the Spectra or look at a Topcon?
This will be an Internet purchase as there are no servicing dealers within 100 miles.

Shimmy1

Spectra. The batteries on those are unbelievable. I have a 722 w/remote. Running it on 600 rpm, I just had it last 45 hrs. Wish I would have had it 10 yrs. ago. The remote will reach farther than the laser. If it doesn't come with the CR600 receiver, request it. If your ready to buy a Spectra, I wouldn't hesitate. Git 'r done .

Chad@SitechTR

I would look at the Spectra GL622. Still a dual slope laser, just more user friendly and a better built laser in my opinion. And they are pretty close on price.

Oxbow

I have a Spectra GL422 with a remote, and have been very happy with it. I have had to send it in to get calibrated once, but I should think that is to be expected after seven years of service.

We use ours in the fall and spring when there is snow on the ground, and if you have an aluminum tripod it takes very little sunshine to warm up the legs enough to settle minutely, which will kick the laser off. For extremely precise work this is a very good feature, but can be aggravating for not so precise use.

Also, when using the slope features, one must eyeball using the notches on top of the laser for alignment. It is almost impossible to get it perfect if precise orientation is necessary, and we often have to adjust the slope by a few hundredths of a percent to get it dialed in. Again, for most applications this is no problem whatsoever, but I wish there was a better method to align the axis, like perhaps some sort of site mechanism with cross-hairs in it.

lumberjack

Chad, why the GL622 over the UL633? I bought the UL633 a couple years ago and it's done everything I've needed from layout work to grading.

brianbulldozer

A few years ago I had a job where I needed to set up a 80,000 square foot pad with dual slope and repeat it every day for a couple of months for all the other subcontractors. I purchased a Gl522 kit with a remote and two HL750 receivers. These receivers can talk to each other so one can display the reading of the other. I set up a fixed mount for the laser and a fixed mount for one receiver (for aligning the laser), both on the structural steel of the building and a couple of hundred feet apart. Every morning I would set up the laser and the alignment receiver on their fixed mounts, set the other receiver that I held in my hand to display the fixed one (since I could hardly see it at this distance), then rotated the laser as necessary to get and on grade reading Worked slick, the only thing I noticed was at a few hundred feet, the laser would sometimes drift up and down maybe as much as a half an inch during the day. I don't think these are as stable as their more expensive cousins, like the 722. I have used the 522 as my daily laser ever since with no complaints. I always thought the dual linked receiver thing would be cool to have one receiver in the cab, displaying what the grade checker was seeing with his receiver. Haven't done it yet, but many times I have had grade checkers that have trouble communicating what is going on and seem to always have the receiver turned away where I cannot see it. Like Shimmy1, I am a fan of the CR600 receiver, and keep one of these in the laser case for everyday use. Oh, and I would never buy a laser without a remote again. Been way more handy than I ever would have imagined.

lumberjack

The sun differentially heating the tripod is enough to get a noticeable drift at distance. The UL633 (and others I'm sure) has "Plane Lock" to keep the drift at bay. Plane lock is achieved by having two linked receivers on tripods spaced out. I've never had to use that function, just read about it.

Shimmy1

A few years ago I had a job where I needed to set up a 80,000 square foot pad with dual slope and repeat it every day for a couple of months for all the other subcontractors. I purchased a Gl522 kit with a remote and two HL750 receivers. These receivers can talk to each other so one can display the reading of the other. I set up a fixed mount for the laser and a fixed mount for one receiver (for aligning the laser), both on the structural steel of the building and a couple of hundred feet apart. Every morning I would set up the laser and the alignment receiver on their fixed mounts, set the other receiver that I held in my hand to display the fixed one (since I could hardly see it at this distance), then rotated the laser as necessary to get and on grade reading Worked slick, the only thing I noticed was at a few hundred feet, the laser would sometimes drift up and down maybe as much as a half an inch during the day. I don't think these are as stable as their more expensive cousins, like the 722. I have used the 522 as my daily laser ever since with no complaints. I always thought the dual linked receiver thing would be cool to have one receiver in the cab, displaying what the grade checker was seeing with his receiver. Haven't done it yet, but many times I have had grade checkers that have trouble communicating what is going on and seem to always have the receiver turned away where I cannot see it. Like Shimmy1, I am a fan of the CR600 receiver, and keep one of these in the laser case for everyday use. Oh, and I would never buy a laser without a remote again. Been way more handy than I ever would have imagined.
In my younger, dumber days I used to make fun of the remote feature. Now, like you, I wouldn't be without it. Short, under ¼ mile stretches of ditch, it's so easy: find grade with the rod, go to the next culvert or whatever, grab the remote and adjust slope until on grade and away we go.