• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some random pics

nedly05

Thanks man, I'll check out the pac brake bags. I'm intested in an engine or exhaust brake for the ford L9000 so I'll have to swing by their website.

nedly05

Hey Buddy, Don't you get sick of all the whiney second homeowners bitching about their icy driveways? I just raised my prices for sanding to $70 a ton, we'll see how it goes, The ice slicer with mag chloride in it goes for $450.00 for a 15 ton load. What else is new? How is the spring excavation work looking? I am busy as all hell, not right at the moment but it is coming, been shopping for some new tractors as well?

Regards, CD

I just realized my reply from the other day didn't make it in, not sure what I did wrong. I remember typing it:beatsme I'm getting really sick of the whiners. I'm thinking about downsizing my whole operation, plowing included. Any whiners are getting the axe. I will keep the non whiners and those who have us do work year round. I'd like to lose half of them probably. Our sand cost about the same or a little more for 18 ton, it scales to around 14 yards, as the salt makes it lighter per ton, we just raised our plowing/sanding prices also.

Im at a bit of a crossroads here at the moment, trying to figure out the best direction to head. Leaning towards selling some equipment and trucks updating the 8 ton machine and going after smaller work and just working by myself. I have a good buddy who I can turn to for help with a bigger machine, we work together quite a bit already so it wouldn't be a big deal to continue. I'm just so annoyed with trying to find and keep help that it seems like it would be easy to just work alone. Everyone wants $25/hr and they don't want to touch a shovel or rake. They just want to drive or operate and stand there. I have no patience for that. So my thought is to get rid of some of the iron fly solo and hopefully it will work out.

We have a good amount of work coming in. I have one good sized water service to do in the village to start the year off. Just priced two more water lines, one is 1500'. Im afraid they might bok at the price, but they must realize its going to be expensive! Another new house, not sure how big, Ill either dig it myself, or if its too big Ill have my buddy come in and help out on it. We always have the spring maintenance to look forward to on the roads we maintain also, so it looks to be a decent start for a one man operation. Im excited to see how things work out this year, and where I'm at a year from now!

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . nedly05. I really feel for you blokes . . . working in poor conditions with whingeing customers would really light my fuse.

As regards the downsizing.

I knew a feller in a similar position as you. A small operation, backhoe, small excavator, couple of trucks. for various reasons he lost his good crew and after having some gear tore up he decided to go it alone with just a fitter/machinist in the workshop.

The gear pretty much was paid for and he just took out what was needed for the job on hand. Back then he was charging every thing out at seventy five bucks an hour and everyone was happy.

He was getting seventy five bucks for every hour he worked and, apart from keeping the gear serviced and repaired the fitter at the workshop paid his way with jobbing work . . . and the customers were happy as they had the boss-bloke on the digger . . . and the truck . . . and the little grader, you get my drift.

Cheers.

nedly05

Wintertime is just a battle. Cold and nasty, we burn 25 full cord of wood in the boiler so making sure there's enough for next year is a part time job. Once the woods tighten up with the cold weather coming I'll be getting a tractor trailer load delivered, should be half of next years wood. The rest I'm going to get from a feller with a processor.

As for the downsizing, I only have one builder that will be annoying about a one man show but I really don't like working for him anyway lol. I feel like it's the right thing to do!

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Wintertime is just a battle. As for the downsizing, I feel like it's the right thing to do!

Thanks for the updates, I have been a one man show since 89 except for a short stretch when I had 2 excavators in 95, didn't seem like It put anymore money in the pot to speak of. Just traded more money and had less free time. I feel for you guys working in the cold climates, got a taste of that as a kid when I used to live in northern AZ and for a couple of yrs when I worked in CD`s neighborhood during the oil shale boom in the 80`s. The average temps so far this month have been mid to high 60`s with the lows in the upper 30`s and I`m ok with that. All we use for heat is wood as well, takes a whole 3 to 4 cords. Hope you have a great year!

nedly05

Your parts sound nice ddigger, those temperatures would be easy to take, plus the wood consumption is nice too! I've always thought you had a nice little gig going there. It's nice to have a niche like that, plus when you do great work like you do it doesn't take long for the word to travel, then having enough work is never an issue!

Nick385CL

Occupation
Operating in the summer
I honestly could spend hours looking at all the pages over and over again, Great pics Nedly, you do outstanding work.

nedly05

Thanks guys! I'll keep them coming when I get them, nothing very fun going on this week, very cold with high temps around 0. Yuck!

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Busted the 490 out huh? Does that ol' girl just stay at your pit? I just crested 9000 hrs on mine, replaced about everything on it one time or another. They are good old machines though. Im having a 160 delivered tomorrow for a "try & buy" I'm pretty excited about that.:D

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
I did! having a heating cab with a radio is pretty amazing. Really makes operating in the winter a whole lot more comportable!

nedly05

I hear ya old and worn. Haven't done much since then but snow and ice management. Frost is going out, and things are drying up so it looks like we are going to be digging this coming week. Ill get some pics, I promise!!!!

nedly05

Need help deciding on a truck.

So we've started the downsizing process, and some new oppurtunity lies on the horizon. Its a little bit scary, but exciting at the same time. I will go into more detail later on after things are more final. The Mack left yesterday, it was bought back by the dealer we bought it from, it was definitely bitter sweet. I would have loved to keep it but a person can only do so much. It makes more sense for me to be on iron and hire out trucking, then for me to try and do both. I am keeping a single axle to move equipment and for short hauls, I will have the quarry deliver to a stockpile location and short haul to jobs from there. It has proved to be a succesful method for us in the past. So the decision is down to one of 2 trucks.

The GMC 7500:
We are the only owner
33K GVW
3116 cat 250HP
RT6613 road ranger
10' box with air gate and elec. tarp
pintle with air and elec.
69,000 original miles

The Ford L9000:
We are the 3rd owner, first was ryder (tractor) then an older fellow who turned it into a dump and ran it for a paving company. He was a stickler on maintenace and it shows, its a cream puff. (does smoke at low idle, previous owner had fuel turned up I suspect this is the source)
35KGVW
L10 Cummins 280HP
10 speed road ranger.
10'HD box with air gate (3 shoots) and elec. tarp
has air and elec. to rear, needs a good pintle plate.
275,000 miles

Im torn here, I know the better truck for me is the Ford, but I know everything that has ever been done to the GMC. The 3116 is basically obsolote so parts/rebuild could cost more than the truck is worth, plus its smaller than the duramax in my dads truck. Its only like 6.9 liter and 600 ft/lbs torque, not really enough for my area, it has always done OK, but it works hard.

The L10 is making a lot more torque, nearly double. Parts and rebuild are more readily available and it has a lot better reputation. I am a little concerned about the smoke but the previous owner had the fuel turned up for more power, so Im hoping that its just getting more fuel than it can burn. For instance, coming down a 12% grade loaded, I slow down and it starts to blow white smoke pretty good. After leaving the stop sign at the bottom the smoke starts to clear up and eventually disappears when you start to pull. I am calling a diesel shop in the morning about getting it in for service and getting it looked at.

So given this info, which truck is the best option? I was thinking the GMC but now Im leaning toward the Ford. For hauling 8-10 ton in the hills and moving the 110 on the trailer I think the L10 is going to be a lot better.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

DGODGR

I think you might be letting your emotions dictate here. The GMC may be harder to rebuild (which I doubt- when was the last time it was hard to get parts for a Cat?) but it has almost no miles compared to a truck that has 275k. I know that some smaller Cats are troublesome (not sure which one/s) but the Cummins is showing signs of an issue already (even though 275k is not a lot for that motor). Are you sure it's not blowing blue smoke on decel? Why would it be over fueling if the throttle is closed (as in a decel situation)? I think you are wise to have it checked out. Then, hopefully you will know for sure what's going on with it. I would actually be a bit afraid of a "turned up" diesel. When they over fuel they tend to make a lot of heat. Heat is bad! If you had a good picture of the expected life of that little Cummins it would make it easier to make a good decision. On another note, you said the Ford is a converted tractor, and that it needs a buck plate. It may have air to the rear but the TP valve on a truck is different than a tractor. There are other differences between a truck and tractor as well.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It may have air to the rear but the TP valve on a truck is different than a tractor.

Just curious what's the difference? I would assume pulling a pintle or 5th wheel trailer with air brakes would take the same setup?:beatsme

mitch504

I would get the Ford checked out, but I would lean heavily towards it. The L10 is nearly bulletproof. I have run them nearly 20 yrs in what I'm sure is the hardest or nearly the hardest service a single axle truck ever sees. As a fertilizer spreader it's not unusual to be running at the governor in 2nd or 3rd gear and run into a patch of mud so suddenly that it chokes off before you can hit the clutch, or worse, but it happens a few times a year, you stomp the clutch at the right moment and it runs backwards.

The '86 model I bought in '96 ran until a few weeks before the end of the season in June 2012 when it dropped a valve. I replaced it with an '88 model with about 500,000 less miles, and no off-hwy miles.

An ex-tractor is perfectly suited for pulling an air braked trailer, as a truck has no TP (tractor protection) valve at all, and one must be installed for it to have all the trailer brake functions, basically converting it into a tractor brake system. However, a tractor is fine with no trailer, obviously, since you can bobtail.

nedly05

Thanks for the replies fellas. Im taking the Ford to a diesel shop on Tuesday, hes going to investigate the smoke, service it and give it a good looking over. That way whether I sell it or keep it it will be either good for piece of mind or a good selling point. I have always loved Macks, and we have had good luck with them in the past so I may sell both trucks and pick up a clean older Mack. I know a lot of guys dont like them, but they are tough trucks!