• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some photos from an apprentice

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Howdy! Name's Mike, and I'm an apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician currently on my 8 month co-op from Centennial College. My co-op term is nearly over and I thought I would share some of the things I have been doing, via picture! I warn you, I am a messy worker...but I'm trying to change.

First things first. Had a D6H with a major oil leak and it was also putting out blue smoke. After a good wash and some investigating I found that oil was coming out of the dipstick, indicating excessive crankcase pressure. I only have some pictures of the rebuilt engine being put in.

d6h6.jpg
d6h5.jpg
d6h1.jpg

Here is a 140h Grader that needed its oscillation joint, lip seals replaced.

140h22.jpg
140h3.jpg
140h8.jpg

140h10.jpg

My super high tech, fancy pants installation tools.
140h14.jpg

140h12.jpg

140h17.jpg

Last edited:

Ross

Nice one mate .. Worth your weight in Gold if you serve your time and are decent at what you do.

That tandem job is the same on the 16M and 24 graders .. Just watch when pulling the chains out as I've see the tandem case split if the chains catch.

Last edited:

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Last of the pictures for now..I've been planning to do this for a bit.

Here is a 963C I am currently working on. Oil is spilling out of the torque divider breather and the dipstick is reading a very high level of oil. Not sure yet if it was just overfilled or if its coming from somewhere else. Any suggestions would be great! I haven't gotten too far into it yet, as there are other machines higher on the priority list.

These pictures show me taking off the belly pains..I mean pans..in order to clean up the sand/dirt/mud/crud so that I can give it a bit of a wash

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5088.JPG

That fresh looking oil on top of the left drive motor is from the torque divider breather
IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Nice one mate .. Worth your weight in Gold if you serve your time and are decent at what you do.

That tandem job is the same on the 16M and 24 graders .. Just watch when pulling the chains out as I've see the tandem case split if the chains catch.

Thank you, I'm loving the job so far! I find I strive to do the best job I can when I'm enjoying it.

I'll certainly be careful with the chains in the future. I removed them nice and easy, by hand that time around. Well...it wasn't the easiest thing, but I learn quick.

tracksfan

great pics, the D6H is a nice machine to work on imho. keep on posting. I'm interested in what is the fix is on the 963C

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Last of the pictures for now..I've been planning to do this for a bit.

Here is a 963C I am currently working on. Oil is spilling out of the torque divider breather and the dipstick is reading a very high level of oil. Not sure yet if it was just overfilled or if its coming from somewhere else. Any suggestions would be great! I haven't gotten too far into it yet, as there are other machines higher on the priority list.

These pictures show me taking off the belly pains..I mean pans..in order to clean up the sand/dirt/mud/crud so that I can give it a bit of a wash

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5088.JPG

That fresh looking oil on top of the left drive motor is from the torque divider breather
IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

Great pictures, and great work! good to see younger guys (i say younger cos im not that old:tong) getting into the game!
Id say the excess oil could be a pump seal leaking into the torque housing

Aiden

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
963C the operator should have been made to clean that crap out. After all he put it there ............

I had a thought similar to that, but he probably would have taken too long. It was just the area they were in; it had just been cleaned a couple months ago.

I won't get to the 963c until next week, but a shaft seal by-passing oil into the torque divider housing was one of the mostly likely scenarios I thought of. I'm going to first drain some oil out of the torque divider, run it a bit, and mark where the dipstick is reading. Then put it under a load to see if it is dumping some oil...if it is I guess I'll check case drain on the pumps to figure out which one it is.

With that said, a few pictures from today are to follow..I just have to go get my camera.

PS: I'm not the youngest kid on the block myself. I'm turning 30 this year..but with that said I've still got lots of time to devote to the industry.

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Today I finished some work on the front axle of a 420D. It was leaking from the hub seal on one side and from the axle seals on the other...so I replaced them all!

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5093.JPG

The king pin's were extremely hard to get out. Had to take a wide and tapered chisel to all of them. I ended up turning in the top of the threads on this one..
IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Whenever I see pictures with jack stands sitting on shop floors without a bearing plate under them I cannot help but wonder, how thick that concrete is. I may be overly cautious but it always looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Whenever I see pictures with jack stands sitting on shop floors without a bearing plate under them I cannot help but wonder, how thick that concrete is. I may be overly cautious but it always looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not too sure. It's standard practice in our shop. They tend to be safety oriented so I'm sure they thought of what it would be used for.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Ahh I see your co-op is at Clearway. They are long time customers of mine. Good people to work with. Just stay on Marco's good side and you'll do fine.

I went to Centennial when I did my Truck and Coach apprenticeship. Where's the heavy equip program? Ashtonbee?

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Ahh I see your co-op is at Clearway. They are long time customers of mine. Good people to work with. Just stay on Marco's good side and you'll do fine.

I went to Centennial when I did my Truck and Coach apprenticeship. Where's the heavy equip program? Ashtonbee?

Yes sir, they have the program at the Ashtonbee campus. Seems to be a great facility...has everything we need to learn and a lot of teaching props.

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
It's been a busy few days, but I have a few more picture to post.

First up is a 650H that I finished up. Right travel motor was leaking because of worn internals. Sent it out to get it rebuilt and here are some pictures of the installation.

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

The 650H also needed new sprockets!

IMG_5103.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5107.JPG

Of course I got really busy and had no more time for picture after this point.

Next up is a 140h grader that had a lack of power complaint in the field. One of the air tanks wasn't holding its air and the cab alarm kept going off. Turns out it was just a leaking drain valve. Thats a pretty boring repair, so I just took a couple pic's of the grader in action!

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG

Here is a 330c I am just starting work on. It needs a few repairs. The two big ones are a leaking main crankshaft seal and a problem with the high speed travel. When the excavator is travelling and you switch to rabbit, the right track will lag behind for a few seconds.

IMG_5125.JPG

I switched out the right motor's high speed travel spool and spring at a co-workers suggestion, and the problem has persisted except now its the other track that is delayed! Perhaps changing the left spool and spring will bring them into alignment.

IMG_5126.JPG

Last edited:

robin yates uk

it is great to see a newcomer to the wonderful world of Plant who seems so full of enthusiasm.That and a smile makes for an excellent plant fitter (as we call them in the UK )

Reactions: DB2