• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Days You Eat The Bear.......

JimP

Hi Willie. Theres hydraulic rebuild shops in Conn. I have used them for hoses but not for cylinders but so can't tell you what it would cost or how long it would take. Let me know if you want contact info. Jim

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A heavy equipment dealer I do business with frequently believes they can get priority scheduling from New Hampshire Hydraulics. They are a BIG outfit. I presume not big enough, as they always have a huge backlog of work waiting. As of noon, it is in their hands. They guess two weeks, I'll give them a month, then start to remind them frequently.

Willie

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
At last I have found a NOS barrel for it in PA. I assembled it last night. I'll put it on the crawler today.

Willie

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Great to hear, so many of our older machines are now getting to that stage of unavailability where many times parts have to be custom made.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Update: It is reassembled, functional, and not leaking. I put new bushings and seals in the blade assembly, some new pins. The tilt mechanism uses flat surfaces dry steel on dry steel. A surprising amount of wear. I built up with MIG, and ground back flat

Willie

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
As for the original title, it may prove to be prophetic. I've had a bear twice this week a dozen feet from my home door. He is not afraid of me, I couldn't chase it away a few nights ago. If you don't ever hear from me again, ask the bear.

Willie

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
So far, so good. Neither of us has been eaten. Mrs. B chased it with her camera after calling the dog off it. About 5:am

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Remove the crimp end of a shot shell, dump the shot but leave the wad and fire in the air, usually abrupt loud noise as gunfire will make them leave an area.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Thursday evening he was on the deck feet from the door. Convinced he would run, I opened the door and shouted at him. He wasn't ready to leave, reminded me of my son's dog at the dishwasher. I think I could have kicked him. He moved away from the deck, but was in no hurry to be anywhere else, so I ran for a 9 Millimeter with laser. By this time he was out of sight, I fired a few rounds. It doesn't seem to have discouraged him.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sounds like time to invest in a paintball gun and sting the critter some. Will be marked so Wildlife people can ID for removal as well, you may want to check with the Wildlife administration in VT to see if they do perform removals/moves.

Hobbytime

Sounds like time to invest in a paintball gun and sting the critter some. Will be marked so Wildlife people can ID for removal as well, you may want to check with the Wildlife administration in VT to see if they do perform removals/moves.
LOL..a paintball gun?? really..that aint gona sting a bear..you may make a nice rainbow on his fur, but thats about all..he can buy a DEC approved pepper spray and use that ,and that works very well as a non lethal deterrent , but make sure its DEC certified and not some cheap junk that wont work and you become a snack for mr bear..

kenh

If he is close and you upset him he will be IN the house. Will not be a friendly visit.
Call the wildlife folks, they should set a trap.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
We have lots of bears in the area where I'm living on my quarter section, probably more bears then people!

They haven't bothered us yet, I see a perimeter of tracks but we have a Great Pyrenees (Stella) and her side kick (Clyde) the European Dobe to keep them distant, so far so good.

The other night around 12:30, Stella was telling something off, I figured it was just a bear and didn't really wake up, then she let out a high pitched yelp/bark/cough and silence. I jumped outta bed and grabbed the 12ga and a couple slugs.... Headed out the door, then I started to smell it....

Damn little skunk strutting around looking at me like "you want some of this too!" I felt like turning it into paste but decided we have enough stench to deal with!

Sprayed the side of my trailer (living in it until the house is built) and both dogs...

I felt like sleeping in the truck, ohh what a stink, I can still taste it!

I wish it was just a bear. Haha!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Been there. Once inherited a Jack Russell Terrier. The breed is horrible! their whole reason for existence is to kill. Skunks are not exempted. He had one by the back, shaking the Hell out of it. I was stupid enough to intervene. The skunk was fatally injured, but had enough left in it to spray the dog.

Willie

I've got a soft spot for skunks. I once had a pet skunk. I asked a few vets to descent him. they all refused. He was the cleanest, nicest pet I've ever had. Only a couple minor mishaps. They are odor free until forced to defend themselves. This they do only as a last resort. Very playful animal!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Bears don't like loud things, I used a 12 GA 'shellcracker' once and didn't see the bear again, still have the remainder of the box to test out sometime, maybe for the fourth. I'd imagine some firecrackers could have the desired effect.