• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

software guy thinking of creating haul aggregation website - input needed

james12345a

Hi,
my friend and I were trying to find new idea and we were wondering if this already exists.
we were thinking that if you are going to haul items from destination a to destination b and you have more room in your truck you could maximize the haul by using this website to find additional hauls needed and you can add this to the truck.

is this a legit idea or not as I am not from your industry.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...is this a legit idea or not as I am not from your industry.

While we do have a section on "Transportation", most of the discussion there would relate to the use of trucks in other than over-the-road frieght hauling applications. Here at HEF, our industries are primarily construction, mining, forestry, agriculture, etc. While you may get some useful replies here, you'll probably do much better asking your question at one of the forums devoted to the actual trucking industry.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I think that sort of software already exists from several services. My freight broker was telling me he subscribes to exactly that kind of thing, costs him a ton. But its the sort of thing where you have to subscribe to the service everyone else uses in order for it to be most effective.

Delmer

Uship dotcom, and the reality shows "Shipping Wars". It's a legitimate and "proven" idea from your point of view, a little less "legitimate and proven" for the participants.

Shenandoah

ABF has a service they call U-Pack that is similar to your idea. You rent their trailer (semi) and fill it with your stuff and they take the rest of the cargo space not used by you and pack it with their stuff. I've used this twice, and the idea of 'full loads' is a sound one.