• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

So, John deere engine rebuild kit.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Longer range planning! 644E loader John Deere sixty something engine umm, let me see I think its a 6076T sounds about right, well so in planning the fixing of a moderate oil leak from the ass end of the block, I stumble across engine rebuild kits, some are deere and some are aftermarket or a mix of oe and aftermarket. All of it seems good assuming that the crank and rods are all standard size.

The loader has about 25,000 hours on it, so our best guess is that its on the tail end of its latest rebuild, there is some blowby, not a huge amount, a couple oil stains around the turbo sections. A bit of smoke when running and a puff on accel. Overall it runs well but for around 2k it could be an option to extend the life and keep everything purrring along for the next 20 years.

Randy88

2k might get you the overhaul kit, but to have the head planed, valves ground, new inserts guides put in, the injection pump and injectors gone through, have the crank, cam and block checked over, the lifters and rockers ground and any machining done to put it back together with new bearings and a new turbo, oil pump, water pump, alternator and starter rebuild and whatever else is needed, we figure over a grand a hole easy, might be even closer to 1500 a hole not including labor, depending on what is all needed.

As for whether to go OEM or aftermarket, I ask my machining shop what they recommend for each engine, some they tell me OEM only and others good quality aftermarket stuff.

56wrench

Make sure you check the wrist pin bushings in the small end of the connecting rods when you pull it apart. They may or may not have been replaced if it has had a previous rebuild. They are easy to overlook. Deere may offer re-man exchange con-rods if the big end is out-of-round or otherwise out of spec. Some engine machine shops cannot re-size the big end if it has the tongue and groove mating surfaces.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Yes indeed, wrist pin bushings are not included in the kit, but are available, might require honing but that's okay.

Head planing should not be bad, skim the deck and intake side. I can do the valves and grinding. I have overhauled a couple diesel turbos, they're pretty far up on the easy scale of things to do once you verify the shaft is in tip top shape. Really just a small bag of parts and careful assembly. Oil pump I can see and the water pump is cheap enough. I can dye check the crank as well as doing journal runout/taper and overall runout. Great points to think about though.

Volvomad

I got an overhaul kit for an 1150B from Ag kits in Syracuse . They shipped all the way for less than half the price I could get it here or the UK . Every thing was spot on . Does anyone else use them?